Cold weather riding

Manic

Jul 25, 2006
I know it's a little early but I was wondering if there is a tempeture limit to riding in the cold weather. I mean if it's right at freezing or below freezing will my cables seize up or tires not grip as well? What do you do to your bike to prep it for cold weather riding? I will continue riding in the cold as long as it is above freezing and dry regardless...

I've ridden in temps as cold as 20 deg. F. That's about as cold as I can take. Besides wearing appropriate clothing, there aren't any other issues I worry about. If you go to www.bikeforums.net and then go to the winter cycling (or somethign like that) forum, you'll see a bunch of threads that might help you. I think the bike starts to seize up around -10 to 0 deg. F, but if you search through that forum, you'll find better data.

Just wanted to mention, if you're riding in the cold, it's ESSENTIAL that you have shoe covers (usually called booties). Last winter was my first on the bike, and I did a 30 mi. ride at 30 deg. F, and I had to stop once or twice because I could no longer feel my feet, then once I got booties, that wasn't so much of a problem. Also, try to get really good gloves, as I'm sure you can imagine the importance of good gloves.

I'll just jump in here quick and say that there is really no temp limit. I ride year round in upstate NY, sometimes in temps well below zero F. I concur with Badkarma, go check out the winter riding section on the "other" forums, and there's tons of info.

Manic said:
I know it's a little early but I was wondering if there is a tempeture limit to riding in the cold weather. I mean if it's right at freezing or below freezing will my cables seize up or tires not grip as well? What do you do to your bike to prep it for cold weather riding? I will continue riding in the cold as long as it is above freezing and dry regardless...

Why just above freezing. I have gone for a ride in the morning when its been -8C. Ok my water bottles started to freeze and after 10min I could not feel my toes anymore but within 30min I was feeling great and did not even notice the cold anymore.

Manic said:
You'll get a better workout in less time without some many people sharing the trails with you. The ice biker site has a lot of great information that should help you.

Check out the commuter forum for the hardcore tips and tricks. We ride year round, come what may.

I have ridden through several winters, down into the single digits. Personally, I have only had my water bottles freeze up on a ride. And you tend to appreciate your rain gear a little more. Nothing on the bike has given me any issues. But I do try to make sure that I have done all that I can to prevent mechanicals and flats. Horsing cold, hard tires off of rims can be a real chore.

Black ice is another thing though. That is where I draw the line. :eek: