Cold Weather

rjdirgo

Oct 4, 2003
I noticed that when I cycle in cold weather my heart beat is about 10 beats higher than when I ride in warm weather. Can this be to A. I am out of shape due the snow we have been getting this winter, B. My body is working harder to heat up the air I breath and keeping me warm or C. Cold air is more dense and thus I am working harder to move through it. Could be all three. Just curious if anyone has pondered on those cold rides

gogoturtle

May 24, 2005
I am assuming that you are comparing you HR while trying to maintain the same speed.

It is more difficult to hold the same speed with the air is colder. The reasons are numerous, but generally, it's harder due to: (1) air density, (2) more clothing adding to your weight and drag, and (3) the cold's effect on tire rolling resistance of tires, bearings, etc.

According to http://www.icebike.org/Articles/SlowerWinter.htm, such factors can really add up.

bikeguy

May 31, 2004
My heart rate is slower when it's cold. My legs always get heavy and go first during a hard effort, this at -5 to 5 C, it's warm enough to go fast without worry of damaging the lungs, but my legs go first again before the breathing rate or heart rate gets high. I'm also a lot slower than during the summer on a road bike, but with a high bar MTB and studded 2 inch tires + a thick top and sweater and coat over I'm not going to be able to.

-bikeguy

Sillyoldtwit

Jan 13, 2006
1963 said:
does it race even faster when you see something you like?
0461.gif
You mean something like this. TYSON;)

bouncy1.gif