Cold Weather

Discussion in 'The Bike Cafe' started by RedRider2009, Oct 5, 2008.

1. RedRider2009

RedRider2009 New Member

AY AY AY...it is only October...what do you guys wear when it is too cold for just shorts/tights? I am fine with torso/core warmth. What do you wear to keep legs warm and feet? Would you reccomend just toe covers or entire shoe covers? Thanks

Tags:

2. dangerousbiker

dangerousbiker New Member

i'd go for jeans.

3. Powerful Pete

Powerful Pete New Member

I am a full shoe covers kind guy. Never really understood the toe cover thingie.

Consider lobster gloves for your hands and the chemical heat packs for your feet if you ride long distance in cold weather also.

4. OldRoads

OldRoads New Member

Street clothes and work boots (commuting).

5. alfeng

alfeng Well-Known Member

BTW. The sizing on BOOTIES (if you didnt' figure it out, already) is for ROAD shoes ... if you wear MTB shoes, you will need to size the booties for a larger shoe size (because of the tread on MTB shoes).

WIND PROOF pants for you legs (really, you probably just need something for your thighs) which you would wear over your regular pants (the cuffs should be zippered like on ski-pants) ... they can be expensive ... go to an REI to talk to their sales people about what they recommend for winter backpacking and/or cross country skiing to get a sense of equivalent stuff ...

Remember -- warm head, warm feet .... so, wear a medium-to-heavy balaclava under your helmet (get a CHEAPer helmet with fewer vents that is a larger size, if necessary).

6. TheBugGuy

TheBugGuy New Member

I was going to mention that -- I live in Oregon and have to cycle in the rain a lot, and my rain pants do a good job of keeping the wind out and my legs from getting too chilly.

7. brian friend

brian friend New Member

Full booties for me and when it is really cold I use the heat packs. I use ear warmers and a baclava for my head. Still the beggining of rides are always cold, thats when it is nice to have a long hill :)

Brian Friend

8. garage sale GT

garage sale GT New Member

What's a good glove for subfreezing, windy conditions, which won't soak through with perspiration?

9. JTE83

JTE83 Member

Houston, TX October - was mostly in the 75 to 84F range!

10. Sikhandar

Sikhandar New Member

11. geoinmillbrook

geoinmillbrook New Member

I dress just like I am going cross country skiing. Use full shoe covers. I have a pretty good tolerance for cold (lived in northern Vermont for a couple decades) but still use thermal running tights over my cycling shorts for pants. And when really cold, underarmor thermals and windstop pants over them. A balaklava or face mask is great as well, or a neck warmer that can be pulled up to your nose - and a polypro skull cap under the helmet. Never tried the lobster mittens yet. Even when really cold my hands sweat in my gloves. Check out this site: http://www.icebike.com/

George