Cold Wet Feet

beltabout

May 31, 2005
Winter is coming and my feet are getting wet,

Is there a cheaper alternative to buying waterproof shoes?

I have seen these gortex neoprene over shoes but most say only suitable for road shoes, is there a style/brand which will ft a size 11 laced SPD mountain bike shoe?

Any idea most welcome.

Plastic bread bags over your socks but under your shoes. Or any plastic bag really. Just as along as there are no holes.

beltabout said:
Winter is coming and my feet are getting wet,

Is there a cheaper alternative to buying waterproof shoes?

I have seen these gortex neoprene over shoes but most say only suitable for road shoes, is there a style/brand which will ft a size 11 laced SPD mountain bike shoe?

Any idea most welcome.
Overshoes are neoprene or Gortex, with neoprene being warmer for winter riding.
They are sized to fit road shoes, so you will need a larger size to go with mtb shoes. That might be a problem at size 11. Try them on before you buy.
It is also possible to buy waterproof socks, such as Gortex or Sealskinz.

Don Shipp said:
Overshoes are neoprene or Gortex, with neoprene being warmer for winter riding.
They are sized to fit road shoes, so you will need a larger size to go with mtb shoes. That might be a problem at size 11. Try them on before you buy.
It is also possible to buy waterproof socks, such as Gortex or Sealskinz.
Thanks for the ideas, as I don't do "mothers Pride" have brouught some Sealskinz they are excellent shoes are soaked but the feet stay warm and dry!!!! Excellent.

buy some properly sized neoprene booties. I use them on the trail and the road and they work great. Make sure you try them on bofore you buy them.

I have brought a pair of sealskinz worn them twice in very wet conditions worth every peny of the £18 they cost.

Thank you all for your advice.

Nick