cold/wet weather gear



D

daveL

Guest
I've been pretty slack with my commuting so far this winter, and in
recognition of the fact I'm entered in the Ride Around The Bay in
October (with the slower of two work sponsered teams), I figured that
I'd better start getting back in the habit. However I'm finding
the...er...brisk? tempratures in the mornings a little daunting and was
thinking of getting some cold/wet weather gear. I'm not a huge fan of
jackets, I'm pretty happy with my jersey and an undershirt, but I wanted
to get something for my legs and was wondering whether people would
recommend leg warmers with nicks or full tights/pants?

Cheers

--
daveL
 
B

beerwolf

Guest
daveL wrote:

> I've been pretty slack with my commuting so far this winter, and in
> recognition of the fact I'm entered in the Ride Around The Bay in October
> (with the slower of two work sponsered teams), I figured that I'd better
> start getting back in the habit. However I'm finding the...er...brisk?
> tempratures in the mornings a little daunting and was thinking of getting
> some cold/wet weather gear. I'm not a huge fan of jackets, I'm pretty
> happy with my jersey and an undershirt, but I wanted to get something for
> my legs and was wondering whether people would recommend leg warmers with
> nicks or full tights/pants?


Faced with the same issue, I recently opted for leg warmers on the
basis that I could take them off if I felt too hot. I find that they're
great
*if* they stay up - but they are prone to eventually slipping down my
legs. They seem to stop slipping just below the knee. They were not
cheap either - $75 Pearl Izumis. I'm thinking of trying out a set of full
length tights, since I can't bring myself to wear a suspender belt.

An alternative that might suit you is full length crosscountry ski socks.
I use them sometimes - have no trouble with slippage, but I think
they look a bit dorky.

--
beerwolf (remove numbers from email address)
 
A

Andrew Price

Guest
beerwolf wrote -

> *if* they stay up - but they are prone to eventually slipping down my
> legs. They seem to stop slipping just below the knee. They were not
> cheap either >


One of the few disadvantages of losing a little pork - the longs tend to
slide down.

Mentioning this to the pretty trim young thing in tights next to me in the
bunch she smiled, hooked a thumb round an elastic strap, and letting it snap
back just said 'braces'.

Over coffee she delighted in telling me she had to buy a kids size -
apparently her generation is eschewing the delights of sticky date putting,
but not the benefits of the over the shoulder trouser holder.

Everything old is new again...

best, Andrew
 
D

daveL

Guest
beerwolf wrote:
> Faced with the same issue, I recently opted for leg warmers on the
> basis that I could take them off if I felt too hot. I find that they're
> great
> *if* they stay up - but they are prone to eventually slipping down my
> legs. They seem to stop slipping just below the knee. They were not
> cheap either - $75 Pearl Izumis. I'm thinking of trying out a set of full
> length tights, since I can't bring myself to wear a suspender belt.


Yeah, that was what was worrying me. I can get some netti legwarmers
pretty cheap at about $50 (money is a bit of a limiting factor) but as
you say the worth is slightly limited if they tend to slip down.
(I also have a phobia about looking like an 80's aerobics instructor.)

> An alternative that might suit you is full length crosscountry ski socks.
> I use them sometimes - have no trouble with slippage, but I think
> they look a bit dorky.


Hmm. No problem there. I tend to look a bit dorky at the best of times.

Cheers

--
daveL
 
B

Bean Long

Guest
beerwolf wrote:
> daveL wrote:
>
>> I've been pretty slack with my commuting so far this winter, and in
>> recognition of the fact I'm entered in the Ride Around The Bay in October
>> (with the slower of two work sponsered teams), I figured that I'd better
>> start getting back in the habit. However I'm finding the...er...brisk?
>> tempratures in the mornings a little daunting and was thinking of getting
>> some cold/wet weather gear. I'm not a huge fan of jackets, I'm pretty
>> happy with my jersey and an undershirt, but I wanted to get something for
>> my legs and was wondering whether people would recommend leg warmers with
>> nicks or full tights/pants?

>
> Faced with the same issue, I recently opted for leg warmers on the
> basis that I could take them off if I felt too hot. I find that they're
> great
> *if* they stay up - but they are prone to eventually slipping down my
> legs. They seem to stop slipping just below the knee. They were not
> cheap either - $75 Pearl Izumis. I'm thinking of trying out a set of full
> length tights, since I can't bring myself to wear a suspender belt.
>
> An alternative that might suit you is full length crosscountry ski socks.
> I use them sometimes - have no trouble with slippage, but I think
> they look a bit dorky.
>

Yeah... I wear leg warmers in the morning (it was minus 7!! when I
headed off yesterday morning) and therefore have the option of not
wearing them in the evening. On top I have two summer weight jerseys...
one long sleeve, the other short (although yesterday I had a T-shirt on
underneath it all). I also have a pair of DeFeet Slipstream ubersocks
to keep the chill out just a little.

--
Bean

Remove "yourfinger" before replying
 
B

Bean Long

Guest
Bean Long wrote:
> beerwolf wrote:
>> daveL wrote:
>>
>>> I've been pretty slack with my commuting so far this winter, and in
>>> recognition of the fact I'm entered in the Ride Around The Bay in
>>> October (with the slower of two work sponsered teams), I figured that
>>> I'd better start getting back in the habit. However I'm finding
>>> the...er...brisk? tempratures in the mornings a little daunting and
>>> was thinking of getting some cold/wet weather gear. I'm not a huge
>>> fan of jackets, I'm pretty happy with my jersey and an undershirt,
>>> but I wanted to get something for my legs and was wondering whether
>>> people would recommend leg warmers with nicks or full tights/pants?

>>
>> Faced with the same issue, I recently opted for leg warmers on the
>> basis that I could take them off if I felt too hot. I find that
>> they're great
>> *if* they stay up - but they are prone to eventually slipping down my
>> legs. They seem to stop slipping just below the knee. They were not
>> cheap either - $75 Pearl Izumis. I'm thinking of trying out a set of full
>> length tights, since I can't bring myself to wear a suspender belt.
>>
>> An alternative that might suit you is full length crosscountry ski socks.
>> I use them sometimes - have no trouble with slippage, but I think
>> they look a bit dorky.
>>

> Yeah... I wear leg warmers in the morning (it was minus 7!! when I
> headed off yesterday morning) and therefore have the option of not
> wearing them in the evening. On top I have two summer weight jerseys...
> one long sleeve, the other short (although yesterday I had a T-shirt on
> underneath it all). I also have a pair of DeFeet Slipstream ubersocks
> to keep the chill out just a little.
>

The DeFeet Slipstream over socks
(http://www.defeet.com/apparel.php?catid=26) were $28 at my LBS.

--
Bean

Remove "yourfinger" before replying
 
T

TimC

Guest
On 2006-06-14, beerwolf (aka Bruce)
was almost, but not quite, entirely unlike tea:
> daveL wrote:
>
>> I've been pretty slack with my commuting so far this winter, and in
>> recognition of the fact I'm entered in the Ride Around The Bay in October
>> (with the slower of two work sponsered teams), I figured that I'd better
>> start getting back in the habit. However I'm finding the...er...brisk?
>> tempratures in the mornings a little daunting and was thinking of getting
>> some cold/wet weather gear. I'm not a huge fan of jackets, I'm pretty
>> happy with my jersey and an undershirt, but I wanted to get something for
>> my legs and was wondering whether people would recommend leg warmers with
>> nicks or full tights/pants?

>
> Faced with the same issue, I recently opted for leg warmers on the
> basis that I could take them off if I felt too hot. I find that they're
> great
> *if* they stay up - but they are prone to eventually slipping down my
> legs. They seem to stop slipping just below the knee. They were not
> cheap either - $75 Pearl Izumis. I'm thinking of trying out a set of full
> length tights, since I can't bring myself to wear a suspender belt.


Gosh. I paid, what, probably $30 for mine from Uno? No slippage
problems. Lastnight I got a bit warm, and was able to undo the zip
and wrap them up above my knee.

They're been fine down to the zero degrees we get in sunny Melbourne.
Don't know about -7 Canberrian weather, though.

--
TimC
I'm sorry, but all questions must be in the form of a question.
-- pieceoftheuniverse in RHOD
 

sinus

New Member
Jul 25, 2004
289
0
0
TimC said:
On 2006-06-14, beerwolf (aka Bruce)
was almost, but not quite, entirely unlike tea:
> daveL wrote:
>
>> I've been pretty slack with my commuting so far this winter, and in
>> recognition of the fact I'm entered in the Ride Around The Bay in October
>> (with the slower of two work sponsered teams), I figured that I'd better
>> start getting back in the habit. However I'm finding the...er...brisk?
>> tempratures in the mornings a little daunting and was thinking of getting
>> some cold/wet weather gear. I'm not a huge fan of jackets, I'm pretty
>> happy with my jersey and an undershirt, but I wanted to get something for
>> my legs and was wondering whether people would recommend leg warmers with
>> nicks or full tights/pants?

>
> Faced with the same issue, I recently opted for leg warmers on the
> basis that I could take them off if I felt too hot. I find that they're
> great
> *if* they stay up - but they are prone to eventually slipping down my
> legs. They seem to stop slipping just below the knee. They were not
> cheap either - $75 Pearl Izumis. I'm thinking of trying out a set of full
> length tights, since I can't bring myself to wear a suspender belt.


Gosh. I paid, what, probably $30 for mine from Uno? No slippage
problems. Lastnight I got a bit warm, and was able to undo the zip
and wrap them up above my knee.

They're been fine down to the zero degrees we get in sunny Melbourne.
Don't know about -7 Canberrian weather, though.

--
TimC
I'm sorry, but all questions must be in the form of a question.
-- pieceoftheuniverse in RHOD
I prefer my pair of Uno leg warmers to my Pearl Izumi ones. And not just because of the price. The lycra does not feel as good quality, but they stay up much better.

As far as fit, it's probably better to err on the tight side. try em on before you buy.
 
T

Tamyka Bell

Guest
daveL wrote:
>
> I've been pretty slack with my commuting so far this winter, and in
> recognition of the fact I'm entered in the Ride Around The Bay in
> October (with the slower of two work sponsered teams), I figured that
> I'd better start getting back in the habit. However I'm finding
> the...er...brisk? tempratures in the mornings a little daunting and was
> thinking of getting some cold/wet weather gear. I'm not a huge fan of
> jackets, I'm pretty happy with my jersey and an undershirt, but I wanted
> to get something for my legs and was wondering whether people would
> recommend leg warmers with nicks or full tights/pants?


If it's warm by the end of your ride, or if you commute home when it's
warm, go for legwarmers. You'll appreciate the very-little space they
take up when not in use. If it's cold all the time, try fleecy
bibknicks. I bought superroubbaix long bibknicks from PBK which were a
weird fit so I had to modify them (they were for fat people with long
bodies and short legs) but they're fantastic for night-time rides when I
know it's not getting any warmer. They were only about $50.

Tam
 
D

daveL

Guest
Tamyka Bell wrote:
> If it's warm by the end of your ride, or if you commute home when it's
> warm, go for legwarmers. You'll appreciate the very-little space they
> take up when not in use.


Yeah, looks like the best way to go in the short term.

> If it's cold all the time, try fleecy
> bibknicks. I bought superroubbaix long bibknicks from PBK which were a
> weird fit so I had to modify them (they were for fat people with long
> bodies and short legs) <snip>


Hey, That's my body shape! Monkey-esque.

--
daveL
 
T

Tamyka Bell

Guest
daveL wrote:
>
> Tamyka Bell wrote:

<snip>
> > If it's cold all the time, try fleecy
> > bibknicks. I bought superroubbaix long bibknicks from PBK which were a
> > weird fit so I had to modify them (they were for fat people with long
> > bodies and short legs) <snip>

>
> Hey, That's my body shape! Monkey-esque.


We cannot conclusively determine if the bibknicks are designed for
monkey-esque body shapes due to an absence of sleeves ;)

Tam
 
A

Aeek

Guest
On Thu, 15 Jun 2006 08:58:35 +1000, "beerwolf"
<[email protected]> wrote:

>Faced with the same issue, I recently opted for leg warmers on the
>basis that I could take them off if I felt too hot. I find that they're
>great
>*if* they stay up - but they are prone to eventually slipping down my
>legs. They seem to stop slipping just below the knee. They were not
>cheap either - $75 Pearl Izumis. I'm thinking of trying out a set of full
>length tights, since I can't bring myself to wear a suspender belt.


The knicks make a difference too, before I switched to Louis Garnier
my netti leg warmers never stayed up. Now they never fall down.
These knicks aren't tight either, no strangling my legs! Mind you, at
$150ish a pop they ought to be good.
 
P

Peter S

Guest
"daveL" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]
> I've been pretty slack with my commuting so far this winter, and in
> recognition of the fact I'm entered in the Ride Around The Bay in October
> (with the slower of two work sponsered teams), I figured that I'd better
> start getting back in the habit. However I'm finding the...er...brisk?
> tempratures in the mornings a little daunting and was thinking of getting
> some cold/wet weather gear. I'm not a huge fan of jackets, I'm pretty
> happy with my jersey and an undershirt, but I wanted to get something for
> my legs and was wondering whether people would recommend leg warmers with
> nicks or full tights/pants?
>


I bought some of these from Ground Effect - this is my third winter with
them and I do a lot of pre dawn rides plus use them on my Saturday group
ride. They don't have any padding but I wear them over standard nicks.
Brilliant. I don't like knee to ankle to get too cold.

http://tinyurl.com/ev6zs

BTW these have great little reflector logo patches on the back of the calves
that really work . It all helps to be seen if you do much night or pre
sun-up riding. My son has a pair too. I've seen these patches really light
up when car headlights catch them.

Peter S
 

hippy

New Member
Sep 5, 2003
1,806
0
0
43
daveL said:
I've been pretty slack with my commuting so far this winter, and in
recognition of the fact I'm entered in the Ride Around The Bay in
October (with the slower of two work sponsered teams), I figured that
I'd better start getting back in the habit. However I'm finding
the...er...brisk? tempratures in the mornings a little daunting and was
thinking of getting some cold/wet weather gear. I'm not a huge fan of
jackets, I'm pretty happy with my jersey and an undershirt, but I wanted
to get something for my legs and was wondering whether people would
recommend leg warmers with nicks or full tights/pants?

I paid maybe $30-40 for my Cannibal leg warmers (tights? urgh ptooey!) and I rarely have trouble with them falling down. If they do, pull them up further or get bigger legs :)

Mine are prob. 4 years old or more and I'm still using them in London.

Course, the one true sign of greatness is the black knee-warmer! ;)

Are Cannibal still doing their thing? I wonder what postage of their gear over here would be like compared to buying the often expensive local options?

hippy
"Ahh.. bless!"
 
D

DaveB

Guest
Aeek wrote:
> The knicks make a difference too, before I switched to Louis Garnier
> my netti leg warmers never stayed up. Now they never fall down.
> These knicks aren't tight either, no strangling my legs! Mind you, at
> $150ish a pop they ought to be good.


Yes I've found that too. My Uno leg warmers always slip down with the
Uno knicks but seem to be ok with my Netti knicks. The annoying thing is
I only tend to use them when it is really cold and with full fingered
gloves I struggle to get them right again. I've given up on leg warmers now.

DaveB
 
B

Bean Long

Guest
DaveB wrote:
> Aeek wrote:
>> The knicks make a difference too, before I switched to Louis Garnier
>> my netti leg warmers never stayed up. Now they never fall down.
>> These knicks aren't tight either, no strangling my legs! Mind you, at
>> $150ish a pop they ought to be good.

>
> Yes I've found that too. My Uno leg warmers always slip down with the
> Uno knicks but seem to be ok with my Netti knicks. The annoying thing is
> I only tend to use them when it is really cold and with full fingered
> gloves I struggle to get them right again. I've given up on leg warmers
> now.
>
> DaveB

The problem with my Netti leg-warmers slipping down is that I have to
fold them over at the top so they fit my legs OK. They are smalls but
are too long for my impish legs. Since I fold the tops over they don't
grab as well and tend to slip a little by the time I've got to the end
of my commute. Next year something that fits better me thinks.

--
Bean

Remove "yourfinger" before replying
 
B

Bean Long

Guest
hippy wrote:

> hippy
> "Ahh.. bless!"


Ahh... England!

--
Bean "He means well... bless"

Remove "yourfinger" before replying
 
D

daveL

Guest
TimC wrote:
> Gosh. I paid, what, probably $30 for mine from Uno? No slippage
> problems. Lastnight I got a bit warm, and was able to undo the zip
> and wrap them up above my knee.
>
> They're been fine down to the zero degrees we get in sunny Melbourne.
> Don't know about -7 Canberrian weather, though.
>


I ended up grabbing sone netti legwarmers. They stayed up fine and
provided plenty of warmth, especially considering the downright balmy 10
degrees celcius we had this morning in Melbourne.

My girlfriend had a bit of a laugh at me this morning though, said it
looked like I was rolling on stockings ;)

--
daveL
 

hippy

New Member
Sep 5, 2003
1,806
0
0
43
Bean Long said:
hippy wrote:
> hippy
> "Ahh.. bless!"[/color]

Ahh... England!

Bean "He means well... bless"

you-aw-right?

largin' it!!

sowf londun!!

innit like?!

hippy
- practising
 
B

Bean Long

Guest
daveL wrote:
> TimC wrote:
>> Gosh. I paid, what, probably $30 for mine from Uno? No slippage
>> problems. Lastnight I got a bit warm, and was able to undo the zip
>> and wrap them up above my knee.
>>
>> They're been fine down to the zero degrees we get in sunny Melbourne.
>> Don't know about -7 Canberrian weather, though.
>>

>
> I ended up grabbing sone netti legwarmers. They stayed up fine and
> provided plenty of warmth, especially considering the downright balmy 10
> degrees celcius we had this morning in Melbourne.
>
> My girlfriend had a bit of a laugh at me this morning though, said it
> looked like I was rolling on stockings ;)
>

My wife always has a chuckle as I roll up my knicks to get the leg
warmers all the way up. It looks like a really sick burlesque show!

BTW. A balmy -3 by the time I'd booted up the 'puter this morning!
Fingies still v. sore!!

--
Bean

Remove "yourfinger" before replying