Cold?

Discussion in 'Recumbent bicycles' started by To Father Time, Jan 22, 2003.

  1. Hello All,

    I had worked past 300 miles last week getting back into shape.

    Now, I have the beginnings of a cold.

    Do you continue rides through a cold or back off until you respiratory system has recovered?

    ---
    Thank you very much,

    Father Time

    Tags:

  2. Harv

    Harv Guest

    If it's too hard to breathe, stop till you get better. It looks like you overtrained last week and
    instead of getting back into shape, you compromised your immune system and this is your body's way
    of getting even for the abuse. "to Father Time" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]...
    [q1]> Hello All,[/q1]
    [q1]>[/q1]
    [q1]> I had worked past 300 miles last week getting back into shape.[/q1]
    [q1]>[/q1]
    [q1]> Now, I have the beginnings of a cold.[/q1]
    [q1]>[/q1]
    [q1]> Do you continue rides through a cold or back off until you respiratory system has recovered?[/q1]
    [q1]>[/q1]
    [q1]> ---[/q1]
    [q1]> Thank you very much,[/q1]
    [q1]>[/q1]
    [q1]> Father Time[/q1]

  3. Hello Harv,

    Actually, I was the last in my family to come down with it.

    I do not want to loose my conditioning.

    I don't know if riding will make it worse or should I play through the cold?

    --------------------

    If you have ridden through a cold did it sink you or did you recover just as fast?

    --------------------

    Thank you very much,

    Father Time

    "harv" <harv*no_spam*@spininternet.com> wrote in message news:[email protected]...
    [q1]: If it's too hard to breathe, stop till you get better. It looks like you overtrained last week and[/q1]
    [q1]: instead of getting back into shape, you compromised your immune system and this is your body's way[/q1]
    [q1]: of getting even for the abuse. "to Father Time" <[email protected]> wrote in message[/q1]
    [q1]: news:[email protected]...[/q1]
    [q1]: > Hello All,[/q1]
    [q1]: >[/q1]
    [q1]: > I had worked past 300 miles last week getting back into shape.[/q1]
    [q1]: >[/q1]
    [q1]: > Now, I have the beginnings of a cold.[/q1]
    [q1]: >[/q1]
    [q1]: > Do you continue rides through a cold or back off until you respiratory system has recovered?[/q1]
    [q1]: >[/q1]
    [q1]: > ---[/q1]
    [q1]: > Thank you very much,[/q1]
    [q1]: >[/q1]
    [q1]: > Father Time[/q1]
    [q1]: >[/q1]
    [q1]: >[/q1]
    [q1]:[/q1]
    [q1]:[/q1]

  4. Jerry Rhodes

    Jerry Rhodes Guest

    [q1]> The trick is to confuse the Fever into thinking you are near death.[/q1]

    My grandfather was an old time doctor and he would't give any of us kids anti-biotics for any sort
    of virus. He, in essense, told us to drink lots of fluids and go to sleep until we got well.

    I modified this using my own personal observations and it seems to work.

    I do what he suggested but I also monitor my temp and keep it below
    103f.

    When it goes over 103 I get in the shower under cold water unitl my core temp starts to go down. I
    don't bother with covering up or medicines. I usually feel so cruddy that nothing actually helps
    make me feel comfortable.

    I do keep a close eye on infections, throat, lungs etc. And treat them as what they are, dangerous
    infections not a virus.

    A hard hot ride is good for lung and head congestion. It really will loosen things up so you can
    hack it all up and spit it out, much to the disgust of your family and friends.

    Jerry (unsympathetic to the physical suffering of others) Rhodes