Collective noun for tricycles

Richard Bates

Guest
Somebody on here suggested that in certain configurations, the term
could be a Tessellation of Trikes.

Here it is, thanks to the Tricycle Association being at Slimbridge YHA
at the same time as me.

www.artybee.net/trikes.jpg

--
Young Musician of the Year 2004 was a fiddle

On Wed, 23 Jun 2004 16:09:17 +0100, David Martin
<[email protected]> wrote:

>On 23/6/04 4:01 pm, in article [email protected],
>"Richard Bates" <[email protected]> wrote:
>
>Is there a final day for the journal?

There is, but my Psion is refusing to post URC for some reason.

I was going to just stick the final day on my website, but as you've
asked ...

Day 34 ~ Sunday 20th June 2004 ~ Golant to Land's End via Truro,
Camborne and Penzance Youth Hostel

I had very little sleep last night due a disgustingly noisy group of
teenagers in the adjacent dormitory. At ten o'clock three people
including myself were going to sleep, so I made a polite request that
they kept the noise level down; but I didn't ask for silence. This
request was completely ignored.

At half past eleven which is officially lights out time they were
asked again to keep noise to a minimum. This request was ignored.

Between myself and a fellow roommate we asked six times for quietness
before two in the morning. These requests were ignored. Their teacher
also shouted at them. His request was also ignored.

At three in the morning I had had enough. My roommate carried his
matress downstairs and slept in the lounge. I visited the offenders
room and hammered on the door so hard that I now have three bruised
knuckles. As I entered the room various bodies darted back to their
bunks. I picked out just one of them and verbally roasted him.

I slept until about eight, not knowing whether silence had been
acheivd or whether I was just so tired that noise no longer mattered.
If only my roasting-adrenaline could have been saved for cycling!

I cycled towards St Austell and found a cafe for breakfast. Sticking
to the A road I reached Truro and stopped off for coffee before
continuing to Redruth which I had decided would be my minimum
distance.

On my map Camborne appeared to be a bigger town and so I decided to
head there for food. Camborne is a very wierd town. Food outlets open
their doors, switch on their lights, and play music; but on entering,
the staff ignore you for two minutes before telling you that they are
closed until half past four. This happened twice before I resorted to
buying a sandwich from Mace , which I immediately opened and dropped
on the floor.

Drivers in Camborne also seem to have an IQ inversely proportional to
exhaust pipe diameter.

A replacement sandwich was purchased and as I ate I thought about
where to head for. Penzance hostel's answerphone stated that they had
one spare bed and plenty of camping space. I left a message requesting
the bed but said that I would camp if the bed had already gone.

After checking in to the hostel I dumped most of my luggage, kept my
tools and camera and sprinted off to Land's End. I celebrated by
buying a beer with a Scottish five pound note which had been saved
from John o'Groats.

And then with the wind behind me for probably the first time in the
whole journey, I pedalled easily back to the hostel, hitting 63Km/h
down a nice long hill...
--
Young Musician of the Year 2004 was a fiddle

"Richard Bates" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
> On Wed, 23 Jun 2004 16:09:17 +0100, David Martin
> <[email protected]> wrote:
>
> >On 23/6/04 4:01 pm, in article

[email protected],
> >"Richard Bates" <[email protected]> wrote:
> >
> >Is there a final day for the journal?

> There is, but my Psion is refusing to post URC for some reason.
>
> I was going to just stick the final day on my website, but as you've
> asked ...

Well Done!

Simon M.

Richard Bates <[email protected]> wrote in
news:[email protected]:

> On Wed, 23 Jun 2004 16:09:17 +0100, David Martin
> <[email protected]> wrote:
>
>>On 23/6/04 4:01 pm, in article
>>[email protected], "Richard Bates"
>><[email protected]> wrote:
>>
>>Is there a final day for the journal?

> There is, but my Psion is refusing to post URC for some reason.
>
> I was going to just stick the final day on my website, but as you've
> asked ...
>
> Day 34 ~ Sunday 20th June 2004 ~ Golant to Land's End via Truro,
> Camborne and Penzance Youth Hostel

Well done! I bet you're relieved to be off the bike now though!

> I had very little sleep last night due a disgustingly noisy group of
> teenagers in the adjacent dormitory. At ten o'clock three people
> including myself were going to sleep, so I made a polite request that
> they kept the noise level down; but I didn't ask for silence. This
> request was completely ignored.

I had a similar experience last summer in Conwy YH, a night full of noise
was preceded by them all using the whole corridor as their own common room.
Excuse Me's were ignored so whatever was left in the doorway got trampled
on by muddy cycling shoes.

Marvelously well done!

How many miles in total was that then? ...And on the rear wheel? ;-)

~PB

On Wed, 23 Jun 2004 21:22:29 +0100, Pete Biggs wrote:

> Marvelously well done!
>
> How many miles in total was that then? ...And on the rear wheel? ;-)

I want to know too!

Kit

On Wed, 30 Jun 2004 01:20:37 +0100, in
<[email protected]>, kit
<[email protected]> wrote:

>On Wed, 23 Jun 2004 21:22:29 +0100, Pete Biggs wrote:
>> How many miles in total was that then? ...And on the rear wheel? ;-)

>I want to know too!

The experiment never happened. I encontered difficulty fixing a
computer to read off the rear wheel, which would have required a large
codge job to overcome. This combined with other comments about
intrinsic errors in meausurement persuaded me not to bother...

....Which is a good job because on the few occasions that I actually
bothered glancing at the computer (it was often obscured by a map) it
had sometimes stopped recording due to the magnet having rotated
around the spokes.

Top Tip: Don't buy a Halfords computer - they are ****!

--
DISCLAIMER: My email box is private property.Email which
appears in my inbox is mine to do what I like with.

Richard Bates wrote:

> On Wed, 30 Jun 2004 01:20:37 +0100, in
> <[email protected]>, kit
> <[email protected]> wrote:
>

>>On Wed, 23 Jun 2004 21:22:29 +0100, Pete Biggs wrote:
>>
>>>How many miles in total was that then? ...And on the rear wheel? ;-)

>>I want to know too!

> The experiment never happened. I encontered difficulty fixing a
> computer to read off the rear wheel, which would have required a large
> codge job to overcome. This combined with other comments about
> intrinsic errors in meausurement persuaded me not to bother...
>
> ...Which is a good job because on the few occasions that I actually
> bothered glancing at the computer (it was often obscured by a map) it
> had sometimes stopped recording due to the magnet having rotated
> around the spokes.
>
> Top Tip: Don't buy a Halfords computer - they are ****!

I have a cateye somethingorother here that's no longer in use (and is no
more than a couple of years old, and not had that much use in that
time). Wired, not wireless. Fitting kit's been used, so unless your
bike has the same sized frame diameters you might find it a bit of a
bodge to keep it in place. Think I still have the manual for it.

However, it does have cadence sensor as well as speed, AND enough cable
to fit to the back wheel for speed.

Yours for a tenner inc postage.

--

Velvet