Collective noun

DeF

Guest
I've got a number of bikes in the shed and
was wondering what noun I should use to
refer to them collectively. Some that spring
to mind;
Stable (they all get ridden)
Quiver (what I use for my sailboard sails)
Debt (not for me but ...)
Bunch (ha ha)

Suggestions?

DeF

PS Who went for a ride in the rain in Perth on
Sunday morning only to find it fine up later in
the day?

--
e-mail: [email protected]
To reply, you'll have to remove finger.

DeF wrote:
> I've got a number of bikes in the shed and
> was wondering what noun I should use to
> refer to them collectively. Some that spring
> to mind;
> Stable (they all get ridden)
> Quiver (what I use for my sailboard sails)
> Debt (not for me but ...)
> Bunch (ha ha)
>
> Suggestions?

As with a flock of birds, you could split it up by species :

a **** of roadbikes
a bogan of BMXs
a snob of fixies
a gearfreak of MTBs
an accountant of hybrids
a geek of recumbents

etc :)

Bleve <[email protected]> wrote:
> As with a flock of birds, you could split it up by species :
>
> a **** of roadbikes
> a bogan of BMXs
> a snob of fixies
> a gearfreak of MTBs
> an accountant of hybrids
> a geek of recumbents

Wouldn't that be 'a beard of recumbents'?

--
..dt

Bleve said:
DeF wrote:
> I've got a number of bikes in the shed and
> was wondering what noun I should use to
> refer to them collectively. Some that spring
> to mind;
> Stable (they all get ridden)
> Quiver (what I use for my sailboard sails)
> Debt (not for me but ...)
> Bunch (ha ha)
>
> Suggestions?

As with a flock of birds, you could split it up by species :

a **** of roadbikes
a bogan of BMXs
a snob of fixies
a gearfreak of MTBs
an accountant of hybrids
a geek of recumbents

etc :)
a wobble of hybrids
a grind of tourers
a nob of MTBs
a desolation of GVBR bikes
a pretence of single speeds
an acquiescence of commuters

SteveA

dtmeister wrote:
> Bleve <[email protected]> wrote:
> > As with a flock of birds, you could split it up by species :
> >
> > a **** of roadbikes
> > a bogan of BMXs
> > a snob of fixies
> > a gearfreak of MTBs
> > an accountant of hybrids
> > a geek of recumbents

> Wouldn't that be 'a beard of recumbents'?

Reminds me of my favourite scientific equation:

socks + sandals = beard

dtmeister wrote:
> Bleve <[email protected]> wrote:
> > As with a flock of birds, you could split it up by species :
> >
> > a **** of roadbikes
> > a bogan of BMXs
> > a snob of fixies
> > a gearfreak of MTBs
> > an accountant of hybrids
> > a geek of recumbents

> Wouldn't that be 'a beard of recumbents'?

I thought of that one, but it wouldn't have been consistant
with the rest of the nomenclature :)

DeF said:
PS Who went for a ride in the rain in Perth on
Sunday morning only to find it fine up later in
the day?
oh yeah..

if it hasn't rained every morning for the past week......

byron27 wrote:
> DeF Wrote:
> >
> > PS Who went for a ride in the rain in Perth on
> > Sunday morning only to find it fine up later in
> > the day?
> >

> oh yeah..
>
> if it hasn't rained every morning for the past week......

Good training for the Warny, I hear ... :)

Bleve said:
byron27 wrote:
> DeF Wrote:
> >
> > PS Who went for a ride in the rain in Perth on
> > Sunday morning only to find it fine up later in
> > the day?
> >

> oh yeah..
>
> if it hasn't rained every morning for the past week......

Good training for the Warny, I hear ... :)
well if it sleeting sideways i should be right!

i live in Perth for the good weather. I reckon im getting ripped off this year...

SteveA said:
a wobble of hybrids
a grind of tourers
a nob of MTBs
a desolation of GVBR bikes
a pretence of single speeds
an acquiescence of commuters

SteveA

WTF?? what is this 'snob' and 'pretence' toward fixies/SS???

Dont knock it if you aint tried it you 2! :rolleyes:

My version would be

a 'pure' of fixies
or
a 'forgetaboutit' of SS's

now dragsters/cruisers, that's more a pretence crowd
(not that i wouldnt like one :D)

The shed full-a-bikes?
hmmm
a 'harem' of bikes

byron27 <[email protected]> wrote:

> i live in Perth for the good weather. I reckon im getting ripped off
> this year...

I commuted to work everyday last week, and somehow magically managed to
miss the rainy periods on all 10 trips. :)

--
..dt

DeF said:
I've got a number of bikes in the shed and
was wondering what noun I should use to
refer to them collectively.

With riders its a peleton.
A cyclist without a bicycle is a ped.
So remove the peds.

Leton.

I've always (for multiple years) thought of it as a quiver, I read a description form a cyclist/archer (not at the same time) calling it that. Apparently there are different arrorws in the quiver for different reasons. My quiver is a couple of bikes short of being full!

PiledHigher said:
I've always (for multiple years) thought of it as a quiver, I read a description form a cyclist/archer (not at the same time) calling it that. Apparently there are different arrorws in the quiver for different reasons. My quiver is a couple of bikes short of being full!

also a quiver of surfboards, which is also a ride.

flyingdutch said:
WTF?? what is this 'snob' and 'pretence' toward fixies/SS???

Dont knock it if you aint tried it you 2! :rolleyes:

My version would be

a 'pure' of fixies
or
a 'forgetaboutit' of SS's

now dragsters/cruisers, that's more a pretence crowd
(not that i wouldnt like one :D)

The shed full-a-bikes?
hmmm
a 'harem' of bikes
Oi, my current project is an SS.

A 'pretence' of SSs only because they are the 'pretenders' to being fixies. :D

And the '[nob' of MTBs refers to the tyres!:p

SteveA

flyingdutch wrote:
> SteveA Wrote:
>> a wobble of hybrids
>> a grind of tourers
>> a nob of MTBs
>> a desolation of GVBR bikes
>> a pretence of single speeds
>> an acquiescence of commuters
>>
>> SteveA

> WTF?? what is this 'snob' and 'pretence' toward fixies/SS???
>
> Dont knock it if you aint tried it you 2! :rolleyes:
>
> My version would be
>
> a 'pure' of fixies
> or
> a 'forgetaboutit' of SS's
>
> now dragsters/cruisers, that's more a pretence crowd
> (not that i wouldnt like one :D)
>
> The shed full-a-bikes?
> hmmm
> a 'harem' of bikes

I didn't think of that - I'm obviously not taking my
riding seriously enough...

DeF

--

SteveA said:
a wobble of hybrids
a grind of tourers
a nob of MTBs
a desolation of GVBR bikes
a pretence of single speeds
an acquiescence of commuters

SteveA

We'll go with components, add whatever tribe for extra flavour:

A Bracket of Cyclists
A Headset of Cyclists
A Hub of Cyclists
A Tread of Cyclists
A Gruppo of Cyclists
A Grip of Cyclists
A Crank of Cyclists
A Fork of Cyclists
A Saddle of Cyclists

.......etc etc etc etc etc.......

flyingdutch said:
My version would be

a 'pure' of fixies
or
a 'forgetaboutit' of SS's

How about a stagger of singlespeeds, or an Argyle of fixies? :D

A quiver of bikes for the qummmfer ;-P

I wondered where you got to. The wind at the Shents TT was shitty, I
was going faster up Stubbs Terrace hill, than downhill on Brockway!
30'20" Where did that 70 seconds go?