College Budget race bike

Swoop

Feb 13, 2004
So after working for the summer and paying for an MCAT, road racing fees, and next semester books I am hoping to have around 1500 ( maybe more) left for an xc race bike..(just in time for the college season) I want foremost durability out of my bike and second performance/weight. I want a full suspension. Right now I am looking hard at the NRS1. Also have thought about a specialized stumpjumper....even if it is a little heavy it sounds like a decent all rounder and still raceable.....anyways...have also looked at the tomac revolver. have looked at the cannodale scalpel and trek fuel but don't really think I like them...thought about a yeti and spyder but too expensive..anyways you guys have any comments or suggestions?

Specialized and Giant are definately the way to go if you want performance at an unbeatable price. The stumpjumper is definately an excellent bike at a hard to beat price. Definately a raceable bike as well as the NRS. They are very reliable and both companies offer top warranty and service. For 1500 you won't find too light of a FS but you can get something acceptable enough. The Spider will definately run way over your budget since that alone won't even cover the cost of the frame. I'm not sure I would recomend Tomac anymore. They are now owned by American Bicyle Group and warranty and quality service has not been as good from what I've seen. Cannondale and Trek also have some good Scalpel and Fuel models in that range but I think overall the Specialized is the best for the money as well as the bets all round performing bike.