College Cycling Teams

TrekDedicated

Jun 17, 2004
I hope there are some college kids here that are on their school's cycling team.

I was just curious as to how you guys work, train, where you race, you know all the basics and anything else.

Just the overall experience

Originally posted by TrekDedicated
I hope there are some college kids here that are on their school's cycling team.

I was just curious as to how you guys work, train, where you race, you know all the basics and anything else.

Just the overall experience

train between classes, race all over the country. tons of fun but sucks to pay for it all. more fun than uscf races, i highly recommend it.

Originally posted by spacefuzz
train between classes, race all over the country. tons of fun but sucks to pay for it all. more fun than uscf races, i highly recommend it.

How many miles do you train in a week, and what kind of trainings do you do?

try to train six days a week, maybe 150-200 mi/wk. usually only 2 hr rides on weekdays and longer rides on weekends. if time gets tight can always ride the trainer at night.

Top college teams Div. 1 UC Boulder Wisconsin, Berkley. Div. 2 Dartmouth, Whitman

College racing is interesting, no funding so it is all club and riders/clubs pick up all the cost and there tends to be a wide range of levels

i ride for UW Wisconsin. we hostest nationals this year and got lucky enough to win the TTT and Crit for D1. I really like collegiate racing because we have to fund ourselves and theres no prize money. Theres a mutual understanding and respect in that we are all broke college kids and all spent 8 hours in the car to get to the race. So everyone is nice and supportive.

spacefuzz said:
I really like collegiate racing because we have to fund ourselves and theres no prize money.

I wish there were a few more collegiate sports like that, considering the recruiting/payola scandals of some big college sports teams.

College cycling would be the same if you could fill a stadium with 100,000 to watch it. It's not about the sports, its about universities being run like businesses.

Spacefuzz,
Anyone around there have a video copy of the road race? My budd, Marc Collard, won it, and I would love to have a copy of it on tape? Know anyone that can help me out?

Austin

ahhh... Whitman.. do you know they have around 3 coaches and they have their own team massusse. dam privet schools.

GoPatrickGoWSU said:
ahhh... Whitman.. do you know they have around 3 coaches and they have their own team massusse. dam privet schools.
I'm on the WWU cycling team. I race B, or sport XC. I expect to upgrade to A, or expert XC next season. I also hope to race a few cat 5 crits or time trials next year too. I am also going to race B cyclocross this fall in the seattle emerald city series.

I do all my riding and training solo. My training regimen is an amalgam of the books 'cyclists training bible,' 'ultimate ride,' and 'serious cycling.'

I didn't train for this season, just started racing with little to no miles in me. Now I'm training 9-13 hours per week for next season. I seem to compete well in sport with minimal training (won one race) and I expect to get damn fast with some training.

i ride for the university of florida, in gainesville. i like it a lot, i started this year, so im only a c, but im not too shabby, nor is our team. we have gotten 1st in the last like 7 years i think of sec cycling.... so were not the worst, plus its lots of fun.