College Student On A College Budget, Please Help.

LokPot

Oct 9, 2015
Hi, I'm a current college student and I'm looking into getting a bike as my main source of transport to save money on gas. When looking at bike possibilities there are so many different types to choose from it's hard to know what I'll need. I'm torn between a cruiser bike for an easy ride to and from school or a road bike so I can be fast and efficient. Any advice will be appreciated!

What is your commute like and how big is the load you plan to carry.

Become familiar with bicycle maintenance and check the used market. Bike racks at local colleges are loaded with well weathered bicycles. Cycling to class on a shiny new bike may be nice but is far from necessary.

Think about a used steel road bike with a quill stem, and 27 x 1-1/4" tires. That will allow you to raise the bars if need be, and the steel frame and wide tires (which you can run at lower pressure) will smooth out the ride, but still give you a more efficient and aero riding position than a cruiser bike.

While in college, I found a good deal on a used bike on Craigslist. Just from my experience, buying a used bike might allow you to get a premium brand. Make sure the AD comes with an image. Create a sales agreement to be signed by both parties just to be on the safe side. Only buy from the real owner, not the wife selling the husband's bike or vice Versa.

maydog said:
What is your commute like and how big is the load you plan to carry.

Become familiar with bicycle maintenance and check the used market. Bike racks at local colleges are loaded with well weathered bicycles. Cycling to class on a shiny new bike may be nice but is far from necessary.
I currently ride to and from school, it is about a two-mile ride, but I ride all around the large campus. The current bike I have is a 3-year-old mountain bike, so if I could afford not getting an old bike that'd be best. Although I will try to find a good used bike seller, thanks for the help.

mikewillet7 said:
While in college, I found a good deal on a used bike on Craigslist. Just from my experience, buying a used bike might allow you to get a premium brand. Make sure the AD comes with an image. Create a sales agreement to be signed by both parties just to be on the safe side. Only buy from the real owner, not the wife selling the husband's bike or vice Versa.
Okay awesome, that is some solid advice. If I can ask though, what type of bike did you get, and what did you like or not like about it?

LokPot said:
I currently ride to and from school, it is about a two-mile ride, but I ride all around the large campus. The current bike I have is a 3-year-old mountain bike, so if I could afford not getting an old bike that'd be best. Although I will try to find a good used bike seller, thanks for the help.
Get some slick road style 26" tires for your mountain bike and use that.

I recommend LocoCycles FG Cruiser. It is literally the epitome of what you are looking for, a hybrid of a fixie(single speed road bike) and a comfortable beach cruiser. Lococycles are super efficient and extremely well crafted. They're also pretty affordable.http://lococycles.com/collections/fg-cruisers

They also sell fixies and beach cruisers, if you prefer the individual choice.

http://lococycles.com/collections/fixie

Reactions: DonovanBikes
"While in college, I found a good deal on a used bike on Craigslist."

This person is smart. He learned where to shop and get a really good deal.

I predict he will have a successful career in his chosen field.

Follow his lead.

DonovanBikes said:
I recommend LocoCycles FG Cruiser. It is literally the epitome of what you are looking for, a hybrid of a fixie(single speed road bike) and a comfortable beach cruiser. Lococycles are super efficient and extremely well crafted. They're also pretty affordable.http://lococycles.com/collections/fg-cruisers

They also sell fixies and beach cruisers, if you prefer the individual choice.

http://lococycles.com/collections
The FG Cruiser looks like it would be perfect for me, plus it's super light which makes hanging it up easy. Although the price tag of $349 is not something I'm looking forward to <_< . Although my frame and gears are already showing signs of wear, I guess you really do pay for what you get. Thank you, the moment I can save up enough I'll get myself an FG Cruiser.

swampy1970 said:
Get some slick road style 26" tires for your mountain bike and use that.
I think you are right, simple is usually the best option. Plus the fact that two tires are much cheaper than a new bike, I will look into my local shops and see if I can snag two. Even though I do want a different bike it would be so much easier on my wallet right now. Thank you for the help.

I guess it will depend on your budget since you are still a student. But for me, I would choose the road bike so that I can use it not only for everyday commuting but also for exercising or going on long rides during weekends or a free time. It is also fast and very good in pavements when you are going to school. I hope you find a bike that is suited and right for you. It is really cost efficient commuting, just keep safe on the road and always be aware of the traffic so as to avoid any accidents or injuries.