college

Discussion in 'General Fitness' started by Sam, May 25, 2004.

  1. Sam

    Sam Guest

    hi i'm doing an assessment in college ho do i walk in
    scotland is there a special way?

    Tags:

  2. Mikey Mike

    Mikey Mike Guest

    "sam" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]...
    > hi i'm doing an assessment in college ho do i walk in
    > scotland is there a special way?

    the normal way is left foot, right foot, left foot, etc, etc

    the special way is right foot, right foot, right foot, etc,
    etc, until you dissapear into a hole in the ground

  3. John Laird

    John Laird Guest

    On 24 May 2004 05:22:40 -0700, [email protected] (sam) wrote:

    >hi i'm doing an assessment in college ho do i walk in
    >scotland is there a special way?

    Ooh, a college in Fife and not Strathclyde. You should be
    aware this newsgroup has been plagued over the last few
    years by Scottish college students undertaking assignments
    set by clueless lecturers who seem to think such groups
    exists purely for their benefit. It would not be so bad if
    they recommended that students "lurk" (ie. read without
    posting) for some time to get a flavour for how newsgroups
    work and how they might be able to ask sensible questions,
    even under false pretences. As such, regular contributors
    have become very weary and you will probably not get any
    particularly useful answers. However, some respect for
    actually admitting you are doing your homework. Shame about
    the spelling and punctuation though.

    It would be rude of me not to try to help in some way
    however, so:

    One special way might be to avoid walking in a kilt. On a
    windy day, this will stop your walking companions seeing
    rather more scenery than they had anticipated, and
    throughout the entire walking season it should stop the
    midges doing unspeakable damage to your down-belows.

    HTH. HAND.

    --
    No wanna work. Wanna bang on keyboard.

    Mail john rather than nospam...

  4. Theo

    Theo Guest

    "sam" <[email protected]> schreef in bericht
    news:[email protected]...
    > hi i'm doing an assessment in college ho do i walk in
    > scotland is there a special way?

    You put your left foot in, you put your right foot out, in,
    out, in, out, shake it all about..... (McTweenies College)

    Theo

  5. Peter James

    Peter James Guest

    On 24 May 2004 05:22:40 -0700, [email protected] (sam) wrote:

    >hi i'm doing an assessment in college ho do i walk in
    >scotland is there a special way?
    There is indeed. You spin on one foot, very rapidly after
    each forward step until you disapear up your own
    fundament, from which point you shower your pursuers with
    shit and derision.
    --

    Peter James Change AT to @ and dot to . to reply

  6. Fran

    Fran Guest

    [email protected] said...
    > hi i'm doing an assessment in college ho do i walk in
    > scotland is there a special way?

    put one foot in front of the other until you come to your
    tutor. tell your tutor that this method of setting
    assessments is extremely rude. refer him to previous threads
    - if he can even work out what a 'thread' is...
    --
    Fran If you need my email address please ask.

  7. Anonymous

    Anonymous Guest

  8. Katherine

    Katherine Guest

    theo wrote:

    > "sam" <[email protected]> schreef in bericht
    > news:[email protected]...
    >
    >>hi i'm doing an assessment in college ho do i walk in
    >>scotland is there a special way?
    >>

    > You put your left foot in, you put your right foot out,
    > in, out, in, out, shake it all about..... (McTweenies
    > College)
    >
    > Theo

    So you in Europe do the hokey pokey too?

    Katherin

  9. Carl

    Carl Guest

    >Ooh, a college in Fife and not Strathclyde. You should be
    >aware this newsgroup has been plagued over the last few
    >years by Scottish college students undertaking assignments
    >set by clueless lecturers who seem to think such groups
    >exists purely for their benefit.

    I work in a college (not as a tutor) and some student have
    to do an assessment by using newsgroups, "subscribing" but
    not posting is required. however, the tutors involved dont
    know what newsgroups are, and the college doesnt have access
    to newsgroups anyway.

    I have been drafted in to to do a session with the students,
    on newsgroups, we will have to use Google Groups.

    Seeing the result of the Scottish colleges use of newsgroups
    has been a big help in lesson planing for what not to do,
    and for me to be ready to scream from the top of the
    whiteboard "test groups, test groups, lurk, lurk" till I am
    blue in the face.

  10. Anonymous

    Anonymous Guest

    In Scotland you must walk for 1000 steps at a time without
    bending your knees, you then must don a pair of vastly over
    size wellingtons and complete the traditional highland
    magnie dance.

  11. Theo

    Theo Guest

    "Katherine" <[email protected]> schreef in bericht
    news:[email protected]...
    > theo wrote:

    > > You put your left foot in, you put your right foot out,
    > > in, out, in,
    out,
    > > shake it all about..... (McTweenies College)
    > >
    > > Theo

    > So you in Europe do the hokey pokey too?
    >
    > Katherin

    I've just discovered there is a 6th continent. That's
    BIG news !

    Theo

  12. Tim Jackson

    Tim Jackson Guest

    Carl wrote on Mon, 24 May 2004 20:33:47 +0100....
    > Seeing the result of the Scottish colleges use of
    > newsgroups has been a big help in lesson planing for what
    > not to do, and for me to be ready to scream from the top
    > of the whiteboard "test groups, test groups, lurk, lurk"
    > till I am blue in the face.

    The biggest mistake the Scottish assessment materials made
    was to provide the students with a few examples of groups
    they should post to, and to suggest topics they could post
    about. This newsgroup was one of the examples. The suggested
    topics were the West Highland Way and the "Munroes" (sic -
    mispelled in the assessment materials).

    Apparently following these examples was then taken by tutors
    and students as being a sure-fire way to pass the
    assessment, irrespective whether the students were actually
    interested in walking the WHW or climbing the Munros. (And,
    of course, most of them clearly weren't interested in any
    form of recreational walking.)

    The Scottish Qualifications Authority (which devised this
    assessment) obviously failed to think about the likely
    impact on this newsgroup of thousands of near-identical, poor-
    quality posts from students who weren't in the slightest bit
    interested in walking. After the first few posts, most of
    the group's regulars realised that there wasn't much point
    in wasting time giving sensible or helpful answers. I
    imagine that the sarcasm most students received as a result
    will have put them off newsgroups for life. The exercise
    thus had no educational value whatsoever.

    If you want to do better, here's my suggestion. Before you
    start, have the students write down a list of half a dozen
    of their own personal interests - hobbies, sports, pastimes,
    favourite pop stars, whatever. But it must be things they
    are personally interested in.

    Then show them how to search for groups covering those
    subjects. Encourage them to lurk in the groups they find,
    until they find one or more groups where they would feel at
    home with like-minded people. Then if and when they feel
    sufficiently confident, they can join in.

    The object should be to get them taking part in an ongoing
    discussion about something they are genuinely interested in.
    Not just to post a question as a mechanical exercise,
    following someone else's example, and hope for an answer.

    If Sam (the student who started this thread) is still with
    us, he/she could usefully print this post out for his/her
    tutor, and point out that the Scottish Qualifications
    Authority has eventually come to realise the problems with
    their assessment. They have advised tutors to adopt a "more
    open approach" and are supposed to be coming up with
    something better for the forthcoming academic year. See
    http://tinyurl.com/3xf97

    --
    Tim Jackson [email protected] (Change
    '.invalid' to '.co.uk' to reply direct) Absurd patents:

  13. Tim Jackson

    Tim Jackson Guest

    Katherine wrote on Mon, 24 May 2004 08:42:55 -0700....
    > So you in Europe do the hokey pokey too?

    We call it the hokey cokey. Is hokey pokey related to hanky
    panky? Count me in if so :)

    --
    Tim Jackson [email protected] (Change
    '.invalid' to '.co.uk' to reply direct) Absurd patents:
    visit http://www.patent.freeserve.co.uk

  14. Fran

    Fran Guest

    [email protected] said...
    > Seeing the result of the Scottish colleges use of
    > newsgroups has been a big help in lesson planing for what
    > not to do, and for me to be ready to scream from the top
    > of the whiteboard "test groups, test groups, lurk, lurk"
    > till I am blue in the face.

    Let's hope it works. It's about time someone who actually
    knows Usenet had a hand in these ridiculous assessments.
    --
    Fran If you need my email address please ask.

  15. Fran

    Fran Guest

    [email protected] said...
    > > You put your left foot in, you put your right foot out,
    > > in, out, in, out, shake it all about..... (McTweenies
    > > College)

    > So you in Europe do the hokey pokey too?

    With great gusto!
    --
    Fran If you need my email address please ask.

  16. John Laird

    John Laird Guest

    On Mon, 24 May 2004 20:33:47 +0100, Carl <[email protected]> wrote:

    >Seeing the result of the Scottish colleges use of
    >newsgroups has been a big help in lesson planing for what
    >not to do, and for me to be ready to scream from the top of
    >the whiteboard "test groups, test groups, lurk, lurk" till
    >I am blue in the face.

    A big thumbs-up from me, then ;-)

    [However, when I came to reply to your message, the
    paragraphs unwrapped themselves into very long lines. What
    you see quoted above I broke manually. I see you use Agent -
    you might want to check the line-length setting in
    Options/Posting Preferences. I use 76 characters.]

    --
    For people who like peace and quiet: a phoneless cord.

    Mail john rather than nospam...

  17. Jim Ford

    Jim Ford Guest

    * Katherine <[email protected]> deigned to grace
    uk.rec.walking
    * with their presence by declaiming:

    > So you in Europe do the hokey pokey too?

    No - we do the Hokey _Cokey_ here!

    Regards: Jim Ford

  18. Theo

    Theo Guest

    "theo" <[email protected]> schreef in bericht
    news:[email protected]...

    > "Katherine" <[email protected]> schreef in bericht
    > news:[email protected]...
    > > theo wrote:
    >
    > > > You put your left foot in, you put your right foot
    > > > out, in, out, in,
    > out,
    > > > shake it all about..... (McTweenies College)
    > > >
    > > > Theo
    >
    > > So you in Europe do the hokey pokey too?
    > >
    > > Katherin
    >
    > I've just discovered there is a 6th continent. That's
    > BIG news !
    >
    > Theo

    I have to apoligise to you Katherine. I assumed you were
    English but I've just read a previous thread and you really
    are from another continent.

    Theo

  19. Katherine

    Katherine Guest

    theo wrote:

    > "theo" <[email protected]> schreef in bericht
    > news:[email protected]...
    >
    >>"Katherine" <[email protected]> schreef in bericht
    >>news:[email protected]...

    >>out,

    >>>So you in Europe do the hokey pokey too?
    >>>
    >>>Katherin
    >>>
    >>I've just discovered there is a 6th continent. That's
    >>BIG news !
    >>
    >>Theo
    >>

    > I have to apoligise to you Katherine. I assumed you were
    > English but I've just read a previous thread and you
    > really are from another continent.
    >
    > Theo

    That clears up the earlier comment, but you do know that
    there are actually 7 continents don't you?

    Katherine

  20. Theo

    Theo Guest

    "Katherine" <[email protected]> schreef in bericht
    news:[email protected]...

    snip

    > That clears up the earlier comment, but you do know that
    > there are actually 7 continents don't you?

    > Katherine

    America(north_and_south), Europe, Asia, Africa, Australia
    (with Pacific Islands), and if you like, Antarctica. And
    some English people think Britain isn't part of Europe. With
    one is the 7th IYO ?

    Theo