college

"Katherine" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
> theo wrote:
>
> > "sam" <[email protected]> schreef in bericht
> > news:[email protected]...
> >
> >>hi i'm doing an assessment in college ho do i walk in
> >>scotland is there a special way?
> >>

> > You put your left foot in, you put your right foot out,
> > in, out, in,
out,
> > shake it all about..... (McTweenies College)
> >
> > Theo
> >

> So you in Europe do the hokey pokey too?

LOL! The "hokey pokey" ? It's amazing what a letter
difference can make. It sounds rather better than our
version :)

KRO

"theo" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...

> "Katherine" <[email protected]> schreef in bericht
> news:[email protected]...
>
> snip
>
> > That clears up the earlier comment, but you do know that
> > there are actually 7 continents don't you?
>
> > Katherine
>
> America(north_and_south), Europe, Asia, Africa, Australia
> (with Pacific Islands), and if you like, Antarctica. And
> some English people think
Britain
> isn't part of Europe. With one is the 7th IYO ?

There is no argument between the 6/7 continent adherents
that north and south America are different continents, it's
whether Europe and Asia are one or two. See, for example,:

http://geography.about.com/library/misc/blcont.htm

--
Bob Mannix (anti-spam is as easy as 1-2-3 - not)

"theo" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...

> "Katherine" <[email protected]> schreef in bericht
> news:[email protected]...
>
> snip
>
> > That clears up the earlier comment, but you do know that
> > there are actually 7 continents don't you?
>
> > Katherine
>
> America(north_and_south), Europe, Asia, Africa, Australia
> (with Pacific Islands), and if you like, Antarctica. And
> some English people think
Britain
> isn't part of Europe. With one is the 7th IYO ?

Best story about Britain in/part of Europe......It may just
be a story, but apparently many years ago, during
particularly thick fog in the English Channel, one English
newspaper ran the headline "THICK FOG IN CHANNEL - EUROPE
ISOLATED"!!

Tot Ziens!!

Dave

theo wrote:

> "Katherine" <[email protected]> schreef in bericht
> news:[email protected]...
>
> snip
>

>>That clears up the earlier comment, but you do know that
>>there are actually 7 continents don't you?
>>

>>Katherine
>>

> America(north_and_south), Europe, Asia, Africa, Australia
> (with Pacific Islands), and if you like, Antarctica. And
> some English people think Britain isn't part of Europe.
> With one is the 7th IYO ?
>
> Theo

North and South America, along with Central America, make up
the western hemisphere. That thin strip of land we call
Central America joins two great land masses or continents -
North and South America.

Katherine

"theo" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
> America(north_and_south), Europe, Asia, Africa, Australia
> (with Pacific Islands), and if you like, Antarctica. And
> some English people think
Britain
> isn't part of Europe. With one is the 7th IYO ?
>
> Theo

Geographically Britain is part of Europe. Politically is
another question altogether. Sooner answered the better.

KRO

On Tue, 25 May 2004 15:35:21 -0700, Katherine wrote:

>North and South America, along with Central America, make
>up the western hemisphere.

Along with the Atlantic and Pacific Oceans.

"Katherine" <[email protected]> schreef in bericht
news:[email protected]...
> North and South America, along with Central America, make
> up the western hemisphere. That thin strip of land we call
> Central America joins two great land masses or continents
> - North and South America.
>
> Katherine

IMO North, South and Central America are one continent. Land
masses are something different. Australia and India form one
landmass (allthough a part is submerged under water) but
together they don't form a continent.

Theo

On Wed, 26 May 2004 12:21:00 +0200, theo wrote:

>"Katherine" <[email protected]> schreef in bericht
>news:[email protected]...
>> North and South America, along with Central America, make
>> up the western hemisphere. That thin strip of land we
>> call Central America joins two great land masses or
>> continents - North and South America.
>>
>> Katherine
>
>IMO North, South and Central America are one continent.
>Land masses are something different. Australia and India
>form one landmass (allthough a part is submerged under
>water) but together they don't form a continent.

You must be using a very strange dictionary :)
--
Phil Cook looking north over the park to the
"Westminster Gasworks"

The message <[email protected]>
from Phil Cook <[email protected]> contains
these words:

> On Tue, 25 May 2004 15:35:21 -0700, Katherine wrote:

> >North and South America, along with Central America, make
> >up the western hemisphere.

> Along with the Atlantic and Pacific Oceans.

Not to mention Ireland, Wales, Scotland, most of England, a
bit of France, Portugal, most of Spain and even the eastern
tip of Siberia in Europe. Greenland and Iceland in who knows
where and a sizeable chunk of West Africa comprising a dozen
or more national elements.

--
Roger Chapman so far this year 27 summits New - 16 (Marilyns
4, Sweats 1, Outlying Fells 11) Repeats - 11( Marilyns 2,

"Phil Cook" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:p[email protected]...
> On Wed, 26 May 2004 12:21:00 +0200, theo wrote:
>
> >"Katherine" <[email protected]> schreef in bericht
> >news:[email protected]...
> >> North and South America, along with Central America,
> >> make up the western hemisphere. That thin strip of land
> >> we call Central America joins two great land masses or
> >> continents - North and South America.
> >>
> >> Katherine
> >
> >IMO North, South and Central America are one continent.
> >Land masses are something different. Australia and India
> >form one landmass (allthough a part is submerged under
> >water) but together they don't form a continent.
>
> You must be using a very strange dictionary :)

Not to mention a very strange atlas and a somewhat odd view
of plate tectonics.

On Wed, 26 May 2004 19:04:28 +0100, Roger wrote:

>The message <[email protected]>
>from Phil Cook <u-r-walk@p-t-
>cook.RfErMeOeVsEeCrAvPeS.co.uk> contains these words:
>
>> On Tue, 25 May 2004 15:35:21 -0700, Katherine wrote:
>
>> >North and South America, along with Central America,
>> >make up the western hemisphere.
>
>> Along with the Atlantic and Pacific Oceans.
>
>Not to mention Ireland, Wales, Scotland, most of England, a
>bit of France, Portugal, most of Spain and even the eastern
>tip of Siberia in Europe.

That's a bit garbled Roger, I think you mean the eastern tip
of Siberia in Asia

>Greenland and Iceland in who knows where

Greenland is North America, Iceland is slap bang on the Mid-
Atlantic ridge but I think we'll include it in Europe

>and a sizeable chunk of West Africa comprising a dozen or
>more national elements.

Everything West of Accra, so Cote d' Ivoire, Liberia, Sierra
Leone, Guinea, Guinea-Bissau, Senegal, The Gambia,
Mauritania, Western Sahara and Morocco. Also parts of ,
Algeria, Mali and Burkina Faso.

Of course I had to look at a map. But I knew that Accra,
capital of Ghana, was on 0 degrees.
--
Phil Cook looking north over the park to the
"Westminster Gasworks"
95/284 5/219 c.100/300 (>900m with drop>100m )

"Roger" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
> The message <[email protected]>
> from Phil Cook <u-r-walk@p-t-
> cook.RfErMeOeVsEeCrAvPeS.co.uk> contains these words:
>
> > On Tue, 25 May 2004 15:35:21 -0700, Katherine wrote:
>
> > >North and South America, along with Central America,
> > >make up the
western
> > >hemisphere.
>
> > Along with the Atlantic and Pacific Oceans.
>
> Not to mention Ireland, Wales, Scotland, most of England,
> a bit of France, Portugal, most of Spain and even the
> eastern tip of Siberia in Europe. Greenland and Iceland in
> who knows where and a sizeable chunk of West Africa
> comprising a dozen or more national elements.

Now I am lost - "most of England" is in the Western
hemisphere - while that statement is correct it begs the
question, which part of England isn't, or have I completely
lost this thread?

KRO

On Wed, 26 May 2004 13:13:37 +0200, Mark South wrote:

>"Phil Cook" <[email protected]>
>wrote in message
>news:p[email protected]...
>> On Wed, 26 May 2004 12:21:00 +0200, theo wrote:
>>
>> >"Katherine" <[email protected]> schreef in bericht
>> >news:[email protected]...

>> >IMO North, South and Central America are one continent.
>> >Land masses are something different. Australia and India
>> >form one landmass (allthough a part is submerged under
>> >water) but together they don't form a continent.

>> You must be using a very strange dictionary :)

>Not to mention a very strange atlas and a somewhat odd view
>of plate tectonics.

FWIW I always thought the seven continents were:

Africa Asia Europe (bounded by the Dardenelles, Bosphorus
and the Urals) North America South America Astralasia (the
boundary with Asia being one of life's imponderables)
Antarctica

With the four oceans being:pacific, Atlantic, Indian
and Arctic.
--

Phil Cook wrote:

> On Wed, 26 May 2004 19:04:28 +0100, Roger wrote:
>

>>The message <[email protected]>
>>
>>from Phil Cook <u-r-walk@p-t-
>>cook.RfErMeOeVsEeCrAvPeS.co.uk> contains
>
>>these words:

>>>Along with the Atlantic and Pacific Oceans.
>>>
>>Not to mention Ireland, Wales, Scotland, most of England,
>>a bit of France, Portugal, most of Spain and even the
>>eastern tip of Siberia in Europe.
>>

> That's a bit garbled Roger, I think you mean the eastern
> tip of Siberia in Asia
>

>>Greenland and Iceland in who knows where
>>

> Greenland is North America, Iceland is slap bang on the
> Mid-Atlantic ridge but I think we'll include it in Europe
>

>>and a sizeable chunk of West Africa comprising a dozen or
>>more national elements.
>>

> Everything West of Accra, so Cote d' Ivoire, Liberia,
> Sierra Leone, Guinea, Guinea-Bissau, Senegal, The Gambia,
> Mauritania, Western Sahara and Morocco. Also parts of ,
> Algeria, Mali and Burkina Faso.
>
> Of course I had to look at a map. But I knew that Accra,
> capital of Ghana, was on 0 degrees.

This is getting really messy. Let's just keep it simple.
Over here the Americas (all 3 of them) are in the western
hemisphere and Africa and Europe, including all the British
Isles, are not. (Don't know about the south Pacific.)

That's from a historical perspective.

Katherine

"KRO" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:[email protected]...

> "Roger" <[email protected]> wrote in message
> news:[email protected]...
> > The message <[email protected]>
> > from Phil Cook <u-r-walk@p-t-
> > cook.RfErMeOeVsEeCrAvPeS.co.uk> contains these words:

> western
> >
> > > Along with the Atlantic and Pacific Oceans.
> >
> > Not to mention Ireland, Wales, Scotland, most of
> > England, a bit of France, Portugal, most of Spain and
> > even the eastern tip of Siberia in Europe. Greenland and
> > Iceland in who knows where and a sizeable chunk of West
> > Africa comprising a dozen or more national elements.
>
> Now I am lost - "most of England" is in the Western
> hemisphere - while that statement is correct it begs the
> question, which part of England isn't, or have I
> completely lost this thread?

The bit of England that is to the east of the Greenwich
meridian is in the Eastern hemisphere. The meridian goes
through Greenwhich and passes a little to the west of
Cambridge.

And nobody here has a firm hold on both ends of the thread,
especially me after discovering there are people who truly
believe that India is part of Australia.

--
Mark South Citizen of the World, Denizen of the Net <<Tiens!
Ce poulet a une grenade!

Katherine wrote:

> Phil Cook wrote:
>
>> On Wed, 26 May 2004 19:04:28 +0100, Roger wrote:
>>

>>> The message <[email protected]>
>>>
>>> from Phil Cook <u-r-walk@p-t-
>>> cook.RfErMeOeVsEeCrAvPeS.co.uk> contains
>>

>>> these words:

>>> Not to mention Ireland, Wales, Scotland, most of
>>> England, a bit of France, Portugal, most of Spain and
>>> even the eastern tip of Siberia in Europe.
>>

>> That's a bit garbled Roger, I think you mean the eastern
>> tip of Siberia in Asia
>>

>>> Greenland and Iceland in who knows where
>>

>> Greenland is North America, Iceland is slap bang on the
>> Mid-Atlantic ridge but I think we'll include it in Europe
>>

>>> and a sizeable chunk of West Africa comprising a dozen
>>> or more national elements.
>>>

>> Everything West of Accra, so Cote d' Ivoire, Liberia,
>> Sierra Leone, Guinea, Guinea-Bissau, Senegal, The Gambia,
>> Mauritania, Western Sahara and Morocco. Also parts of ,
>> Algeria, Mali and Burkina Faso.
>>
>> Of course I had to look at a map. But I knew that Accra,
>> capital of Ghana, was on 0 degrees.
>>

> This is getting really messy. Let's just keep it simple.
> Over here the Americas (all 3 of them) are in the western
> hemisphere and Africa and Europe, including all the
> British Isles, are not. (Don't know about the south
> Pacific.)
>
> That's from a historical perspective.
>
> Katherine

Actually, when you think about it, three of the continents
are all attached. The Americas, Australia, Antartica and
other assorted islands aren't. We just kind of float out in
the oceans.

Katherine

"Phil Cook" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
> On Wed, 26 May 2004 13:13:37 +0200, Mark South wrote:
>
> >"Phil Cook" <[email protected]>
> >wrote in message
> >news:p[email protected]...

part

> >> You must be using a very strange dictionary :)
>
> >Not to mention a very strange atlas and a somewhat odd
> >view of plate
tectonics.

> FWIW I always thought the seven continents were:
>
> Africa Asia Europe (bounded by the Dardenelles, Bosphorus
> and the Urals) North America South America Astralasia (the
> boundary with Asia being one of life's imponderables)

Australasia is a political concept thought up during
the cold war.

Australia is a continent.

> Antarctica
>
> With the four oceans being:pacific, Atlantic, Indian
> and Arctic.

The "seven seas" are the Mediterranean, Indian, Pacific,
North and South Atlantic, Arctic, and the Southern Ocean.

All of these continents and seas can be found marked on maps
from reputable sources.
--
Mark South Citizen of the World, Denizen of the Net <<Tiens!
Ce poulet a une grenade!

"Katherine" <[email protected]> schreef in bericht
news:[email protected]...
> Let's just keep it simple. Over here the Americas (all 3
> of them) are in the western hemisphere and Africa and
> Europe, including all the British Isles, are not. (Don't
> know about the south Pacific.)
>
> That's from a historical perspective.

From a historical perspective, let's say 600 years ago, the
America's are nowhere.

Theo

The message <[email protected]>
from Katherine <[email protected]> contains these words:

> This is getting really messy. Let's just keep it simple.
> Over here the Americas (all 3 of them) are in the western
> hemisphere and Africa and Europe, including all the
> British Isles, are not. (Don't know about the south
> Pacific.)

> That's from a historical perspective.

As Theo has already remarked the New World doesn't really
have a history. :)

So it doesn't matter that a hemisphere covers 180 degrees?
Or is it just that to the average Yank the outside world is
totally insignificant.

I happened to visit the USA governments website for the
first time recently. The arrogant bastards have titled it
"firstgov" and invite visitors to contact "your government".
Tony Blair might find that acceptable but I don't.

I used to think that stories that americans were surprised
to find English spoken in England an urban myth but not
any longer.

--
Roger Chapman so far this year 27 summits New - 16 (Marilyns
4, Sweats 1, Outlying Fells 11) Repeats - 11( Marilyns 2,
Sweats 6, Wainwrights 11) Knackered knee - 3 times

Katherine <[email protected]> wrote in message news:<[email protected]>...

> This is getting really messy. Let's just keep it simple.
> Over here the Americas (all 3 of them) are in the western
> hemisphere and Africa and Europe, including all the
> British Isles, are not. (Don't know about the south
> Pacific.)

If the hemispheres are west from 0° long to 180° long for
the western then the above poster is right, if the western
hemisphere is only the area between the Atlantic and the
Pacific then he is not. And there are only 2 Americas, the
Central (including the Caribbean) is part of North America,
and south of Panama you have South America. Greenland is a
North American country.

> That's from a historical perspective.

No, that´s Geography.