college

"Mark South" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
> > Now I am lost - "most of England" is in the Western
> > hemisphere - while that statement is correct it begs the
> > question, which part of England isn't, or have I
> > completely lost this thread?
>
> The bit of England that is to the east of the Greenwich
> meridian is in the Eastern hemisphere. The meridian goes
> through Greenwhich and passes a
little to
> the west of Cambridge.
>
> And nobody here has a firm hold on both ends of the
> thread, especially me
after
> discovering there are people who truly believe that India
> is part of
Australia.

Aarghh! Talk about wishing for a hole to jump in! I was of
course, wrongly, on a thread of my own regarding the
"Western world" and not as this thread drift is about -
hemisphere. So India isn't part of Australia then?

KRO

theo wrote:

> "Katherine" <[email protected]> schreef in bericht
> news:[email protected]...
>
>> Let's just keep it simple. Over here the Americas (all 3
>> of them) are in the western hemisphere and Africa and
>> Europe, including all the British Isles, are not. (Don't
>> know about the south Pacific.)
>>
>>That's from a historical perspective.
>>

> From a historical perspective, let's say 600 years ago,
> the America's are nowhere.
>
> Theo

Only from a European perspective.

Katherine

Roger wrote:

> The message <[email protected]> from Katherine
> <[email protected]> contains these words:
>

>>This is getting really messy. Let's just keep it simple.
>>Over here the Americas (all 3 of them) are in the western
>>hemisphere and Africa and Europe, including all the
>>British Isles, are not. (Don't know about the south
>>Pacific.)
>>

>>That's from a historical perspective.
>>

> As Theo has already remarked the New World doesn't really
> have a history. :)
>
> So it doesn't matter that a hemisphere covers 180 degrees?
> Or is it just that to the average Yank the outside world
> is totally insignificant.
>
> I happened to visit the USA governments website for the
> first time recently. The arrogant bastards have titled
> it "firstgov" and invite visitors to contact "your
> government". Tony Blair might find that acceptable but
> I don't.
>
> I used to think that stories that americans were surprised
> to find English spoken in England an urban myth but not
> any longer.

Gee, thanks, Roger. We are not all like Dubya, and we are
not all provencial or arrogant. And we do have a history
albeit much shorter (from a European point of view) than
yours (which happen to be a part of mine). Of course, many
of our institutions come from the UK, such as the treaty of
Arboath, and out of the Enlightenment. And as far as the
name of the web site, I understand that national
professional organizations in the UK never add British to
their names to distinguish them from other nations'
professional organizations, i.e. The Library Association.

And perhaps, we are, in the ill-fated Iraq war following in
your earlier imperial ways. I hope not.

Katherine

"Roger" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
> The message <[email protected]> from Katherine
> <[email protected]> contains these words:
>
> > This is getting really messy. Let's just keep it simple.
> > Over here the Americas (all 3 of them) are in the
> > western hemisphere and Africa and Europe, including all
> > the British Isles, are not. (Don't know about the south
> > Pacific.)
>
> > That's from a historical perspective.
>
> As Theo has already remarked the New World doesn't really
> have a history.
:)

> So it doesn't matter that a hemisphere covers 180 degrees?
> Or is it just that to the average Yank the outside world
> is totally insignificant.
>
> I happened to visit the USA governments website for the
> first time recently. The arrogant bastards have titled
> it "firstgov" and invite visitors to contact "your
> government". Tony Blair might find that acceptable but
> I don't.

Just like those arrogant bastards in England who call their
football association "The Football Association". Good for
the goose....

KRO

The message <[email protected]>
from Katherine <[email protected]> contains these words:

> And as far as the name of the web site, I understand that
> national professional organizations in the UK never add
> British to their names to distinguish them from other
> nations' professional organizations, i.e. The Library
> Association.

I don't know about all of them but in the cases of
organisations such as 'The Alpine Club' and 'The Open' they
were the first of their kind and thus there was no need for
a further label. The US Government was by no means the first
of its kind nor can it claim any pre-eminence in probity.

> And perhaps, we are, in the ill-fated Iraq war following
> in your earlier imperial ways. I hope not.

Sadly, no perhaps about it for a nation for whom cultural
imperialism is not enough.

--
Roger Chapman so far this year 27 summits New - 16 (Marilyns
4, Sweats 1, Outlying Fells 11) Repeats - 11( Marilyns 2,

"sam" <[email protected]> schreef in bericht
news:[email protected]...
> hi i'm doing an assessment in college ho do i walk in
> scotland is there a special way?

You put your left...... . Is Sam still with us ? He
must have enough material for the rest off his college-
years. :))

Theo

"theo" <[email protected]> wrote

> You put your left...... . Is Sam still with us ? He
> must have enough material for the rest off his college-
> years. :))

Wonder if they get graded according to how many replies they
get? 5 points for every reply generated in the thread no
matter what, minus 10 points for a reply that slags them off
for not following latest SQA guidelines, plus 10 points for
a direct reply with tones of sarcasm or humour and a bonus
50 for a reply that actually seriously answers the question.
I reckon Sam's on an A by now.

Carl <[email protected]> wrote:

> I work in a college (not as a tutor) and some student have
> to do an assessment by using newsgroups, "subscribing" but
> not posting is required. however, the tutors involved dont
> know what newsgroups are, and the college doesnt have
> access to newsgroups anyway.

What sort of college offers a course that requires
facilities that aren't made available to students, and has
tutors that don't understand what they're asking their
students to do ?

Are these courses accredited ? If so, who by ?

-adrian

On Fri, 28 May 2004 19:17:14 -0000, Adrian Godwin
<[email protected]> wrote:

>What sort of college offers a course that requires
>facilities that aren't made available to students, and has
>tutors that don't understand what they're asking their
>students to do ?

Ha ha! Every sort that I've ever come across!

--

Paul

My Lake District walking site:

http://paulrooney.netfirms.com

> If you want to do better, here's my suggestion. Before you
> start, have the students write down a list of half a dozen
> of their own personal interests - hobbies, sports,
> pastimes, favourite pop stars, whatever. But it must be
> things they are personally interested in.
>
> Then show them how to search for groups covering those
> subjects. Encourage them to lurk in the groups they find,
> until they find one or more groups where they would feel
> at home with like-minded people. Then if and when they
> feel sufficiently confident, they can join in.
>
> The object should be to get them taking part in an ongoing
> discussion about something they are genuinely interested
> in. Not just to post a question as a mechanical exercise,
> following someone else's example, and hope for an answer.

Could'nt agree more - by the way have a look at the
contemporaneous posting: Trecking Pack Recommendations?
Unbelievably, its from a student who appears to actually be
interested and wanting genuine advice. Pity as a member of
our intellectual elite that he can't spell trekking, but a
refreshing breath of fresh air all the same. My tax dollars
aren't all going to waste then.

Steve Jones

Steve Jones wrote on 29 May 2004 05:25:36 -0700....
> Could'nt agree more - by the way have a look at the
> contemporaneous posting: Trecking Pack Recommendations?
> Unbelievably, its from a student who appears to actually
> be interested and wanting genuine advice.

I get the impression that he's a student studying a real
subject, not this crappy SQA Internet course. E.g. he has a
real college email address, not the usual Hotmail or Yahoo
throwaway that the students are usually taught to use, and
he's not posting via Google Groups.

--
Tim Jackson [email protected] (Change
'.invalid' to '.co.uk' to reply direct) Absurd patents:

The message <[email protected]>
from "Mark South" <[email protected]> contains these words:

> Even so, the nice people at the British Antarctic Survey
> really believe in the existence of the Southern Ocean :)

But where is it? Antarctica is ultimately bounded by the
Atlantic, Pacific and Indian Oceans with a couple of well
known seas (Ross, Weddell) and several totally obscure
(Bellingshausen, Amundsen,Mackenzie) seas wedged in between.

--
Roger Chapman so far this year 27 summits New - 16 (Marilyns
4, Sweats 1, Outlying Fells 11) Repeats - 11( Marilyns 2,
Sweats 6, Wainwrights 11) Knackered knee - 3 times

"Mark South" <[email protected]> schreef in bericht
news:[email protected]...

> And nobody here has a firm hold on both ends of the
> thread, especially me
after
> discovering there are people who truly believe that India
> is part of
Australia.

Tectonically speaking, it is. Together they have created the
world's biggest climbing wall, i.e. the Himalaya's. And
British people seem to think that the far northwest of
Scotland was once part of Nort America. I agree.

Theo (I designed the earth, but I feel so miserable amongst
you earthlings)

On Thu, 27 May 2004 10:30:19 +0000 (UTC), KRO wrote:

>"Roger" <[email protected]> wrote in message
>news:[email protected]...
>> The message <[email protected]> from Katherine
>> <[email protected]> contains these words:
>>
>> > This is getting really messy. Let's just keep it
>> > simple. Over here the Americas (all 3 of them) are in
>> > the western hemisphere and Africa and Europe, including
>> > all the British Isles, are not. (Don't know about the
>> > south Pacific.)
>>
>> > That's from a historical perspective.
>>
>> As Theo has already remarked the New World doesn't really
>> have a history.
>:)
>>
>> So it doesn't matter that a hemisphere covers 180
>> degrees? Or is it just that to the average Yank the
>> outside world is totally insignificant.
>>
>> I happened to visit the USA governments website for the
>> first time recently. The arrogant bastards have titled
>> it "firstgov" and invite visitors to contact "your
>> government". Tony Blair might find that acceptable but
>> I don't.
>
>Just like those arrogant bastards in England who call their
>football association "The Football Association". Good for
>the goose....

I was about to say it was the first Football Association,
but a thought sprang into the back of my mind that the Scots
may have beaten us Englanders to it...

The first international was in 1872 between England and
Scotland, played in Glasgow, a 0-0 draw.

The (English) Football Association was founded in 1863 and
the SFA in 1872 one year after the first FA Cup competition.

So, since the English were the first to form a Football
Association, we didn't need to qualify it buy adding the
country name, a bit like the Royal Navy and the Royal Mail
don't need "Brittish" to qualify them.
--
Phil Cook looking north over the park to the
"Westminster Gasworks"

"KRO" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:[email protected]...

> "Mark South" <[email protected]> wrote in message
> news:[email protected]...
> > > Now I am lost - "most of England" is in the Western
> > > hemisphere - while that statement is correct it begs
> > > the question, which part of England isn't, or have I
> > > completely lost this thread?
> >
> > The bit of England that is to the east of the Greenwich
> > meridian is in the Eastern hemisphere. The meridian goes
> > through Greenwhich and passes a
> little to
> > the west of Cambridge.
> >
> > And nobody here has a firm hold on both ends of the
> > thread, especially me
> after
> > discovering there are people who truly believe that
> > India is part of
> Australia.
>
> Aarghh! Talk about wishing for a hole to jump in!

Which hemisphere? :)

And as long as you mark it as a waypoint on your GPS so you
don't forget your pack in it and not be able to find it
again :) :)

> I was of course, wrongly, on a thread of my own regarding
> the "Western world" and not as this thread drift is about
> - hemisphere.

That's a confusion of similar concepts that's dropped a lot
of people in the hole in this thread.

> So India isn't part of Australia then?

Well, the Indians have just had an election entirely without
the permission of John Howard and not elected a single
Australian, so I really believe that they consider
themselves to be independent from Australia these days.

--
Mark South Citizen of the World, Denizen of the Net <<Tiens!
Ce poulet a une grenade!

"theo" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...

> "Mark South" <[email protected]> schreef in bericht
> news:[email protected]...
>
> > And nobody here has a firm hold on both ends of the
> > thread, especially me
> after
> > discovering there are people who truly believe that
> > India is part of
> Australia.
>
> Tectonically speaking, it is. Together they have created
> the world's biggest climbing wall, i.e. the Himalaya's.

However, tectonic plate != continent.

If you really want to be pedantic at me then I will
point out that "Himalaya" is already plural, the
singular is "Himal".

> And British people seem to think that the far northwest of
> Scotland was once part of Nort America. I agree.

More interestingly, Florida and most of Georgia were part of
Africa that stuck on North America after they separated.
Shows the scale of American imperialism!

> Theo (I designed the earth, but I feel so miserable
> amongst you earthlings)

You are Slartibartfast AICM5P!
--
If the outdoors is a gym with dirt on the ground, or a
place to exercise, or to show off, and nothing more, you

The message <[email protected]>
from [email protected] (Sigvaldi Eggertsson) contains these words:

> If the hemispheres are west from 0° long to 180° long for
> the western then the above poster is right, if the western
> hemisphere is only the area between the Atlantic and the
> Pacific then he is not.

A hemishere is half a sphere and must subtend 180 degrees by
definition. Excluding other continents would reduce the
angle by some 30 degrees. (And yes I know the Earth is not a
true sphere but hemioblate spheroid is too much of a
mouthful).

--
Roger Chapman so far this year 27 summits New - 16 (Marilyns
4, Sweats 1, Outlying Fells 11) Repeats - 11( Marilyns 2,
Sweats 6, Wainwrights 11) Knackered knee - 3 times

[email protected] said...
> Theo (I designed the earth, but I feel so miserable
> amongst you earthlings)

Slartibartfast? Is that you?
--
Fran If you need my email address please ask.

Mark South wrote:

> The "seven seas" are the Mediterranean, Indian, Pacific,
> North and South Atlantic, Arctic, and the Southern Ocean.

Seven seas, seven continents, seven wonders of the world.
Notice a trend here? I don't know what the big deal about
the number seven is, but there's always been a historical
tendency to group things in sevens, and if there aren't
exactly seven natural features you can always adjust the
definitions to make them fit seven - like splitting the
Atlantic into North and South for example.

To be pedantic, there are only four oceans: Arctic Ocean -
Atlantic Ocean - Pacific Ocean - Indian Ocean. I don't see
any mention of a Southern Ocean in my atlas.

But there are a great many seas, far more than seven.

Paul
--
http://www.wilderness-wales.co.uk
http://www.wildwales.fsnet.co.uk

On Thu, 27 May 2004 21:23:12 +0000 (UTC), KRO wrote:

>"Mark South" <[email protected]> wrote in message
>news:[email protected]...
>> Also, since Britain had the first postal service, it is
>> the only country
>whose
>> stamps do not bear its name.
>
>I was going to say, but Britain no longer..... then I
>thought, no, don't.
>:)

I'll say it for you. We no longer have a postal service. We
have a postal business. The management of The Royal Mail
have given up service for proffit. :-(