college

On Sat, 29 May 2004 18:10:41 +0200, Mark South wrote:

>"Adrian Godwin" <[email protected]> wrote in
>message news:[email protected]...
>
>> True, but though .net is global, it's not well ordered :
>> it contains a lot of entries whose only justification for
>> being a subdomain of .net is that the equivalent .com or
>> .org name was already taken. Relatively few are really
>> network infrastructure.
>
>It's a mess, I won't disagree with that. If there is
>anything worse run than the Internet I don't want to hear
>about it thanks.

Royal Mail :-(
--
Phil Cook looking north over the park to the
"Westminster Gasworks"

On Sat, 29 May 2004 18:09:09 +0200, Mark South wrote:

>"Phil Cook" <[email protected]>
>wrote in message
>news:[email protected]...
>> On Thu, 27 May 2004 21:23:12 +0000 (UTC), KRO wrote:
>>
>> >"Mark South" <[email protected]> wrote in message
>> >news:[email protected]...
>> >whose stamps do not bear its name.
>> >
>> >I was going to say, but Britain no longer..... then I
>> >thought, no, don't.
>> >:)
>>
>> I'll say it for you. We no longer have a postal service.
>> We have a postal business. The management of The Royal
>> Mail have given up service for proffit. :-(
>
>I insist that my original statement is correct as it
>stands. If you disagree, you have to produce evidence of a
>national postal service prior to Britain's, or show that
>British stamps indicate their country of origin somewhere.

Technically your original statement was incorrect. Britain
had the first postal system where payment for carriage was
by prepaid stamps.

Another interesting aside is that the international postal
language is French.
--

On Thu, 27 May 2004 17:14:22 +0200, Mark South wrote:

>> Theo (I designed the earth, but I feel so miserable
>> amongst you earthlings)

It's either that or feeling inferior to the mice :)

>You are Slartibartfast AICM5P!

He just did fijords IIRC The new earth was going to have
africa with fijords.
--
Phil Cook looking north over the park to the
"Westminster Gasworks"
95/284 5/219 c.100/300 (>900m with drop>100m )

The message <[email protected]>
from "KRO" <[email protected]> contains these words:

> Just like those arrogant bastards in England who call
> their football association "The Football Association".
> Good for the goose....

It was the only one of its kind at the time and is why
football with a round ball is colloquially known as soccer.
At least the English do not call their Premier Division 'The
World Series' like the Yanks do their domestic national game
or for that matter a handful of second rate clubs a
Division. :)

--
Roger Chapman so far this year 27 summits New - 16 (Marilyns
4, Sweats 1, Outlying Fells 11) Repeats - 11( Marilyns 2,

[email protected] said...
> > Theo (I designed the earth, but I feel so miserable
> > amongst you earthlings)
>
> You are Slartibartfast AICM5P!

Arghh! You beat me to it!
--
Fran If you need my email address please ask.

"Fran" <[email protected]> schreef in bericht
news:[email protected]...
> [email protected] said...
> > Theo (I designed the earth, but I feel so miserable
> > amongst you
earthlings)

> Slartibartfast? Is that you?

I don't know yet. I'll have to suck on my towel for a while
:p (And try to find my HHGTTGbooks on the attick to compare
names and find out who I really am)

For the time being :

Theo aka Marvin

"Paul Saunders" <[email protected]> schreef in bericht
news:[email protected]...
> Mark South wrote:

What's in a name ?

> > The "seven seas" are the Mediterranean, Indian, Pacific,
> > North and South Atlantic, Arctic, and the Southern
> > Ocean.

In Dutch (and translated back to English) : theMediterranian
Sea, the Indian_Ocean, the Atlantic Ocean, the Great Ocean.

> To be pedantic, there are only four oceans: Arctic Ocean -
> Atlantic Ocean - Pacific Ocean - Indian Ocean. I don't see
> any mention of a Southern Ocean in my atlas.

In Dutch (and translated back to English) : the
Northern_Ice_Sea, the Atlantic Ocean, the Great Ocean, the
Indian Ocean. The Southern Ocean is called the
Quiet_South_Sea.

> But there are a great many seas, far more than seven.

And a Rowantree is called (in Dutch) a Lijsterbes. A Lijster
is a common black bird that likes to eat the berries.

So again, what's in a name ?

Theo

"Paul Saunders" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
> Mark South wrote:
>
> > The "seven seas" are the Mediterranean, Indian, Pacific,
> > North and South Atlantic, Arctic, and the Southern
> > Ocean.
>
> Seven seas, seven continents, seven wonders of the world.
> Notice a trend here? I don't know what the big deal about
> the number seven is, but there's always been a historical
> tendency to group things in sevens, and if there aren't
> exactly seven natural features you can always adjust the
> definitions to make them fit seven - like splitting the
> Atlantic into North and South for example.
>
> To be pedantic, there are only four oceans: Arctic Ocean -
> Atlantic Ocean - Pacific Ocean - Indian Ocean. I don't see
> any mention of a Southern Ocean in my atlas.
>
> But there are a great many seas, far more than seven.

Even so, the nice people at the British Antarctic Survey
really believe in the existence of the Southern Ocean :)

On Fri, 28 May 2004 12:29:48 +0200, "Mark South"
<[email protected]> wrote:

>"Paul Saunders" <[email protected]> wrote in
>message news:[email protected]...
>> Mark South wrote:
>>
>> > The "seven seas" are the Mediterranean, Indian,
>> > Pacific, North and South Atlantic, Arctic, and the
>> > Southern Ocean.
>>
>> Seven seas, seven continents, seven wonders of the world.
>> Notice a trend here? I don't know what the big deal about
>> the number seven is, but there's always been a historical
>> tendency to group things in sevens, and if there aren't
>> exactly seven natural features you can always adjust the
>> definitions to make them fit seven - like splitting the
>> Atlantic into North and South for example.
>>
>> To be pedantic, there are only four oceans: Arctic Ocean
>> - Atlantic Ocean - Pacific Ocean - Indian Ocean. I don't
>> see any mention of a Southern Ocean in my atlas.
>>
>> But there are a great many seas, far more than seven.
>
>Even so, the nice people at the British Antarctic Survey
>really believe in the existence of the Southern Ocean :)

And there are more than four corners of the globe - or maybe
fewer. I don't really know.

--

Paul

My Lake District walking site:

http://paulrooney.netfirms.com

Paul Saunders wrote:

> Mark South wrote:
>

>>The "seven seas" are the Mediterranean, Indian, Pacific,
>>North and South Atlantic, Arctic, and the Southern Ocean.
>>

> Seven seas, seven continents, seven wonders of the world.
> Notice a trend here? I don't know what the big deal about
> the number seven is, but there's always been a historical
> tendency to group things in sevens, and if there aren't
> exactly seven natural features you can always adjust the
> definitions to make them fit seven - like splitting the
> Atlantic into North and South for example.

Anothe magical grouping is threes. Shakespeare repeated
phrases (It's been a long time since I studied Shakespeare,
so can't give examples.) and I find that I like to list at
least thress times.

Katherine

On Fri, 28 May 2004 20:19:33 +0100, "Joe Bloggs" <[email protected]>
wrote:

>There's a lot less climbing involved with collecting oceans
>than Munro bagging, and definitely kinder on the knees!!

But they have vague boundaries. To be of interest in this ng
they have to be definable and classifiable (preferably in a
dozen different ways).

--

Paul

My Lake District walking site:

http://paulrooney.netfirms.com

"Phil Cook" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
> On Thu, 27 May 2004 21:23:12 +0000 (UTC), KRO wrote:
>
> >"Mark South" <[email protected]> wrote in message
> >news:[email protected]...
> >> Also, since Britain had the first postal service, it is
> >> the only country
> >whose stamps do not bear its name.
> >
> >I was going to say, but Britain no longer..... then I
> >thought, no, don't.
> >:)
>
> I'll say it for you. We no longer have a postal service.
> We have a postal business. The management of The Royal
> Mail have given up service for proffit. :-(

I insist that my original statement is correct as it stands.
If you disagree, you have to produce evidence of a national
postal service prior to Britain's, or show that British
stamps indicate their country of origin somewhere.

We may be off-topic as usual, but that's no reason to get
the facts wrong.
--

-- M.

"Phil Cook" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
> On Sat, 29 May 2004 18:09:09 +0200, Mark South wrote:
>
> >"Phil Cook" <[email protected]>
> >wrote in message
> >news:[email protected]...

> >> I'll say it for you. We no longer have a postal
> >> service. We have a postal business. The management of
> >> The Royal Mail have given up service for proffit. :-(
> >
> >I insist that my original statement is correct as it
> >stands. If you
disagree,
> >you have to produce evidence of a national postal service
> >prior to Britain's,
or
> >show that British stamps indicate their country of origin
> >somewhere.
>
> Technically your original statement was incorrect. Britain
> had the first postal system where payment for carriage was
> by prepaid stamps.

I grant you 5 pedant points (you can exchange these for,
well, nothing useful actually, in cam.misc :) but you knew
what I meant all along.

> Another interesting aside is that the international postal
> language is French.

So Americans can no longer send letters by airmail ;-)
--
Mark South: World Citizen, Net Denizen

"Fran" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
> [email protected] said...
> > > Theo (I designed the earth, but I feel so miserable
> > > amongst you
earthlings)

> > You are Slartibartfast AICM5P!
> >
> Arghh! You beat me to it!

I had help, Guy Chapman is running a constant attempt at
creating a HHGTTG revival over in uk.rec.cycling. He must be
occupied with a helmet thread right now or he's have been on
it first :)
--
"If the outdoors is a gym with dirt on the ground, or a
place to exercise, or to show off, and nothing more, you

"Roger" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
> The message <[email protected]> from "KRO"
> <[email protected]> contains these words:
>
> > Just like those arrogant bastards in England who call
> > their football association "The Football Association".
> > Good for the goose....

It's "sauce", which I assume is NOT good for the goose! :)

> It was the only one of its kind at the time and is why
> football with a round ball is colloquially known as
> soccer. At least the English do not call their Premier
> Division 'The World Series' like the Yanks do their
> domestic national game or for that matter a handful of
> second rate clubs a Division. :)

Also, since Britain had the first postal service, it is the
only country whose stamps do not bear its name. And it works
the other way too. The US had the Internet first, so their
domains like .gov and .mil have no country qualifier,
whereas in Britain we have .gov.uk etc etc.
--
Mark South: World Citizen, Net Denizen

"Roger" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
> It was the only one of its kind at the time and is why
> football with a round ball is colloquially known as
> soccer. At least the English do not call their Premier
> Division 'The World Series' like the Yanks do their
> domestic national game or for that matter a handful of
> second rate clubs a Division. :)

Agree on the World Series point, is it the Yanks that have
"a handful of second rate clubs in a Division"? Is the NAFL
still alive?

KRO

Roger wrote:

> At least the English do not call their Premier Division
> 'The World Series' like the Yanks do their domestic
> national game

It's interesting to compare Formula 1 with Indy Cars (or
Cart or Champ Cars as they call them these days - they keep
changing the name). Formula 1 is usually thought of as a
world championship (and is specifically called that) while
Cart is thought of as something local to the US.

Yet Cart is just as much a "world" championship as F1 is. Or
to put it another way, just as Cart takes place mostly on US
tracks, F1 takes place mostly on European tracks, so F1 is
really just a European championship with a few visits to
other parts of the world to qualify it as a "world"
championship. Cart has now started calling itself the "Champ
Car World Series", which is as justified a title as the
"Formula 1 World Championship".

To be specific, F1 now has 8 races (out of 18) in non-
European countries (previously only 6), while Cart has 8
(out of 19) races in non-US countries.

The non-European F1 races are mostly on the eastern
continents (only 3 in the western), while the non-US races
are mostly on the western continents (only 3 in the
eastern), so each is definitely "hemisphere-centric" (loose
definition of hemisphere).

Of the 20 current F1 drivers, only 5 are non-European, so
75% are European. I haven't been able to find a definite
nationality list for Cart, but of the 22 drivers,
approximately 80% seem to be not from the US, and most of
those are European. In fact there seem to be as many
European drivers in Cart these days as there are in F1,
so it's definitely not a US only competition, like Nascar
for example.

I'm not arguing that Cart is a true world championship,
merely that it's as much of a world championship as F1 is.
What I'm arguing is that F1 is really just a European
championship.

Paul
--
http://www.wilderness-wales.co.uk
http://www.wildwales.fsnet.co.uk

theo wrote:

> "Paul Saunders" <[email protected]> schreef in
> bericht news:[email protected]...
>
>>Mark South wrote:
>>

> What's in a name ?
>

>>>The "seven seas" are the Mediterranean, Indian, Pacific,
>>>North and South Atlantic, Arctic, and the Southern Ocean.
>>>

> In Dutch (and translated back to English) :
> theMediterranian Sea, the Indian_Ocean, the Atlantic
> Ocean, the Great Ocean.

Is the Great Ocean the Pacific? During WWII the Atlantic and
the Pacific were called, respectively, the small pond and
the big pond.

Katherine

Katherine wrote:

> Paul Saunders wrote:
>
>> Mark South wrote:
>>

>>> The "seven seas" are the Mediterranean, Indian, Pacific,
>>> North and South Atlantic, Arctic, and the Southern
>>> Ocean.
>>>

>> Seven seas, seven continents, seven wonders of the world.
>> Notice a trend here? I don't know what the big deal about
>> the number seven is, but there's always been a historical
>> tendency to group things in sevens, and if there aren't
>> exactly seven natural features you can always adjust the
>> definitions to make them fit seven - like splitting the
>> Atlantic into North and South for example.
>

> Anothe magical grouping is threes. Shakespeare repeated
> phrases (It's been a long time since I studied
> Shakespeare, so can't give examples.) and I find that I
> like to list at least thress times.

That is, I tend to have items grouped in threes when I
write.

Katherine

* Katherine <[email protected]> deigned to grace
uk.rec.walking
* with their presence by declaiming:

> Anothe magical grouping is threes. Shakespeare repeated
> phrases (It's been a long time since I studied
> Shakespeare, so can't give examples.) and I find that I
> like to list at least thress times.

What I tell you three times is true!

Regards: Jim Ford