Collegiate nationals

Discussion in 'Road Cycling' started by Pete Beall, Apr 29, 2003.

  1. Pete Beall

    Pete Beall Guest

    The web page for collegiate nationals is disturbing. For those flying in, by paying a fee there
    should not be any trouble getting transportation from the airport to the hotel. What's disturbing
    is that, "None of the courses are close enough to the hotel to ride there." There will be no
    shuttles to the venues and they, "recommend you rent a car and use it to discover the beauty of the
    Bay Area!"

    I did a quick phone call to the top of the ladder at USA Cycling, and here is what I know:

    a.. The venues for the RR and TT are not, at this time, secured.
    b.. There is some talk of chartering "a bus" for the RR. For those flying in, my contact
    recommended that the only way they can be sure of getting to any venue is to rent a minivan that
    will hold the entire team and their bicycles. Pete

    --
    http://www.petebeall.net

    Tags:

  2. Pete Beall

    Pete Beall Guest

    As one of the collegiate racers just pointed out, almost no big car rental agency will rent to
    anyone under twenty-five. This excludes almost all of the collegiate riders.

    The web page is http://cycling.berkeley.edu/nationals/index.php

    --
    >There will be no shuttles to the venues and they, "recommend you rent a car
    and
    > use it to discover the beauty of the Bay Area!"
    >
    > http://www.petebeall.net

  3. Bikerecker

    Bikerecker Guest

    >As one of the collegiate racers just pointed out, almost no big car rental agency will rent to
    >anyone under twenty-five. This excludes almost all of the collegiate riders.

    Man, this sucks. And I thought the Elite Nats weren't being given proper attention. Greg

  4. In article <[email protected]>, Bikerecker <[email protected]> wrote:

    > >As one of the collegiate racers just pointed out, almost no big car rental agency will rent to
    > >anyone under twenty-five. This excludes almost all of the collegiate riders.
    > >

    > Man, this sucks. And I thought the Elite Nats weren't being given proper attention. Greg
    When the U.C. Berkeley promoters showed up at the Nor Cal race scheduling meetig last Oct. and
    announced they were going to bid for collegiate nationals everyone pretty much scratched their
    heads and asked where the races would be. Sure they could of had a good Crit. course right next to
    the university but there are no good TT or RR course near by ( at least ones that aren't already
    being used by other clubs for other races). Certainly no good courses within easy riding distance
    of Berkeley.

    It doesn't help that the course they have been trying to get are running into problems with locals.
    The proposed RR course is being held up due to a couple of old ladies who have their big yard sale
    the same day as the RR and they fear the RR will limit traffic access to their yard sale. The local
    town has said no race if the university can't get the permission of the old ladies. Problems with
    local residents have been holding up the TT course as well. Another reason why some proposed courses
    are farther away than originally expected from the university.