Colnago Ace frame size help

geoff gostage

Jul 29, 2013
Hi Guys I am looking to upgrade from my trusty Viking road bike (no laughing!) to a Colnago Ace as i have found some good deals on 2012 paint versions. My problem is I am coming in smack bang in between 2 frame sizes. My height is 5'6" 1/2 and inseam is 30" 1/2 I am torn between these frame sizes from the Wiggle website as i'm am height wise suited to the 48 but inseam suited to the 50, I am worried that if I go bigger in would be stretching too far? Any thoughts would be really helpful 48" 5'5"-5'6" 28"-29" 50 5'7"-5'8" 29"-30" Geoff

FWIW. To some extent, IMO, frame sizing is a cosmetic issue ...

• if the current vertical difference between the top of your bike's saddle & the top of the stem is negligible, then choose the larger frame because it will allow you to position the stem on the next frame you buy (whatever it may be) to be equally matched ...
  • on the other hand, if you are VERY FIT & prefer a slightly more aggressive riding position, then definitely choose the smaller of the two frames because you will be able to adjust the handlebar height with less effort than a frame with a longer head tube would allow

BUT, what is the top tube length of your current bike AND are you comfortable OR uncomfortable on the bike?

What is the stem length on your Viking?

There is MUCH MORE to fitting a frame to a rider, BTW ...

Having said all of that, If 'I' were your height, then I would probably opt for the 48cm frame.

Hi alfeng Thanks so much for you reply. I suppose I am looking for a comfort rather than aggressive ride in the new bike. The seat and stem are pretty much level on the Viking. So maybe the larger would give me mor comfort? Geoff

Originally Posted by geoff gostage .

I suppose I am looking for a comfort rather than aggressive ride in the new bike. The seat and stem are pretty much level on the Viking.

So maybe the larger would give me mor comfort?
Yes ...

Generally, if you are comfortable on your current bike then 'I' would suggest that you USE YOUR CURRENT BIKE to determine the size of the frame of the next bike ...

• that is, your current fit will establish the parameters which you can use to see whether or not a different frame can be made to match with this-or-that stem/crank/seatpost/etc.

BTW. As you will frequently read throughout this Forum (and hopefully, others), the "fit" may be the most important factor when choosing a frame to ride (if you have a choice) ...

Again, there are numerous adjustments which may/can-and-should be made to accommodate a given rider to a particular bike ... and, alternative parts are readily available on eBay for a modest amount of money if you find you need to make minor changes to the initial fit at some point in time in the future.

So, never feel wedded to the stem length which is on the bike when you receive it (of course, how the bike is when you roll it out the door may be perfect, so don't look for changes unless you feel too stretched out or too cramped AND also realize that people's riding position can change if they have not ridden for a while to name one factor which can affect how a bike feels to the rider) OR saddle height OR other factors ... et cetera.

Finally opted for the 48 will put some pics up when it arrives. Alfeng you are a star thanks for being nice to a new member ! Geoff

Hi Took a bit of a u turn in the end this came up!!

Took a bit of a u turn in the end this came up!!
SWEET ...

Your vintage C40 is a quite a very nice turn!

Hi all Bike arrived yesterday did a little 10 miler and it was epic!! A few of the Allen key bolts are a little worn, any ideas for replacements? Are there any packs available?

Which bolt heads are worn?

• your LBS usually has most of the bolts you might need ...
  • stores like HOME DEPOT carry small metric bolts, now ... definitely suitable for water bottle cages & similar attachments

So I've done 100 miles on it and I love it. Came with dura ace 7700 rear front and brakes but the crank is fsa so have sourced a dura ace 7700 will I have to change the bb or will it match with the fsa ?

So long as the FSA crankset isn't a BB386EVO--and I'm pretty positive Colnago isn't using that--your FSA BB will work with a Shimano crank.

So I've done 100 miles on it and I love it. Came with dura ace 7700 rear front and brakes but the crank is fsa so have sourced a dura ace 7700 will I have to change the bb or will it match with the fsa ?
FYI. Although some FSA cranksets use the BB whose spindle has an OCTALINK spline, those cranks are rare & your FSA crank's particular BB is probably either an ISIS-type or if it has a square taper then it is compatible with cranks which use the 102mm Campagnolo BBs (i.e., Record, Chorus, or the TOKEN brand 102mm ISO taper BB) ...

• ISIS BB spindles have 10 "splines" ...
  • and, the Octalink BB spindles have 8 "splines" ...
  • the only part which is interchangeable is the bolt which secures the crankarm to the spindle -- self-extracting or otherwise.
BTW. For a Shimano Dura Ace 7700 crankset & your Colnago frame you will want an ITALIAN THREADED, 109.5MM OCTALINK BB ...

1. the 109.5mm Dura Ace (7700) BB which has Italian threads is the lightest & will (typically) have serviceable bearings ...
  2. the Ultegra (6500) BB is slighty heavier & will be a sealed cartridge type of BB ...
  3. and, the 105 (5500) BB is slightly heavier, still, because it has a "solid" (?) spindle ...

• let availability determine which one you choose

If you opt for the three-piece Dura Ace BB then 'I' suggest that you put the Fixed Cup on the non-driveside & the Adjustable Cup on the driveside ... it will make your life easier in the long run, IMO.

Alfeng home run again buddy all sorted thank you!! Now I'm after changing out the stele forks for carbon. As its a 1st gen c40 with I presume 1" is there a carbon fork available ? I can only seem to find 1" 1/8 ?

Quote: Originally Posted by geoff gostage .

Alfeng home run again buddy all sorted thank you!!

Now I'm after changing out the stele forks for carbon. As its a 1st gen c40 with I presume 1" is there a carbon fork available ? I can only seem to find 1" 1/8 ?

The 1" COLNAGO CF forks were over-priced if bought separately, but the price was buried when purchased with the frame as a frameset ...

• the STAR fork which was eventually spec'd with C40s retailed for ~$800(!!!) if bought separately ...
  • I think that the next model down was about $400 ... it had an aluminum steerer, AFAIK, & legs which looked more like the least expensive CF fork than the legs of the STAR fork
  • and, the least expensive (CF legs bonded to an aluminum shoulder) retailed for about $300.

If you can find any of them, new or used, they will probably still be over-priced.

BUT, what I found when I updated a good-but-not-great steel fork to a LOOK CF fork (~12+ years ago, threaded steel steerer) was that there was no appreciable (by me) difference in the way the bike rode, but the bike ended up weighing about a pound less ...

So, FWIW, my recommendation would be to continue to use the steel Colnago fork since any non-Colnago fork will definitely affect the bike's aesthetics BUT probably not have an appreciable affect on how the bike rides.

• if weight is truly a consideration, then you can shave weight from the bike by changing to Campagnolo shifters suitable Campagnolo RECORD shifters weigh about 320g per pair (~4oz. less than your DA shifters)

A possible reason to change to a CF fork is if you really want to use a threadless stem (THAT's actually a pretty good, but not great, reason).

Managed to pick up set of time carbon forks for £100 delivered from Italy !! Not star but hey ho cheapest star I could find were £300!! Will post some pics when fitted. SLS gel saddle is awesome aswell !!