Colnago Active - Alan's Stuff!

lokstah

Sep 30, 2003
Ok folks, here it is... these pictures belong to Alan O'Brian (who happens to be having some issues with his browser; I'm posting these sexy photos on his behalf). I can't say anything about this ride... other than that it's a wonderous looking thing. Very nice, Alan!

Sorry this took so long, by the way. I was out on Friday and missed your email. :)

that's very nice indeed...is that a new paint scheme for 2004?

It looks really nice...some feedback on the ride please ...and compare it to something else that we all may know :)

Originally posted by lokstah
Where you at, Alan? Folks wanna hear about this bike!
hi guys, sorry i've not replied to any of your queries over the last few days, ive been in hospital (again).
i had a little run in with a "boy racer" and his vauxhall nova, which left me with a concussion and a cracked collar bone.
anyway, back to the bike, i have to say i couldnt be more pleased with it, its stiff, handles beautifully, and is quite comfortable.
i used to use a 15 year old steel eddy merckx corsa (columbus sl)
that i found to be unbelievably comfortable ( you know the old saying "steel is real"). when i changed over to the colnago, i did find a huge difference in the bb area, so much stiffer than previously experienced with any other bike ive ever ridden. i have to say when i first turned the pedals in anger, i took off like a f***ing rocket.
i have to say, from reading post's about aluminium frames, i was expecting to end up with sore hands, back and well everything else, just from the way al frames have been described in general on this forum. maybe its because of the cf stays and forks that i have been spared this torment.(and pain)
i do have a couple of ****les with the frame.........
1. i have to say i was a little disappointed with the welds around the bb area. they do appear a little blobby.
2. ive already talked to lokstah about this......... the bb on the drive side has unscrewed itself and gotten stuck on the inside of the crankarm, leaving me unable to turn the pedals at all.
ive talked at length to my lbs about this, and they say that its because its an italian bb. apparantly its not uncommon for italian bb's to come loose within the first month or so. personally, i dont know if this is true, i was wondering if any of you guys out there had any similar experiences like this?
all in all, im very happy with the frame and have no intentions of changing it any time soon.

Good to hear you are enjoying your frame!

As for what your LBS says regarding Italian threaded bb's... it sounds a lot like a load of c@#p. Could it be that someone didn't do their job right during installation? :D

I live and ride here in Italy (ok, that might be logical, as an Italian...), where most bb's are Italian thread... and new bikes' drive side bb's do not tend to unscrew themselves on a regular basis around here! :confused:

I am surprised about your comment on the quality (or lack thereof) on the bb. If you are really unhappy, have you tried contacting the LBS and/or Colnago importer about it? Just curious, and wonder what they would say.

In any event, congratulations on the bike, hope your recuperate well from your little accident, and enjoy your riding!

Good gracious, Alan; sorry to hear about the accident. Get well.

Keep us posted about the BB saga.

White Handle Bar Tape would look better and may even make you sprint like Cipollini. If you want to go even flashier, try a zebra san marco seat and specialized zebra bar tape. Remember, Zebras are fast enough to outrun a tired cheetah.:cool:

Here's my best bike.

No, I'm a liar - this is one of two hand-made boneshakers which hung on the watch chain of our club secretary, Billie Argent, just on 100 years ago. Billie made them by hand out of gold bar - easy for him - he was a skilled clock and watch maker.

They were tiny - wheel diameter = 3/8" (10mm) yet the cranks on each model actually drove the front wheel!

If the system will let me, I'll upload the other one shortly.

John Knees.