Colnago Arte 2.0 or Wilier La Triestina

Fresh79

Jul 21, 2010
Hi,

I cannot make up my mind between these two bikes and need help swaying me in one direction or the other. They're essentially the same bikes with carbon forks and alloy frames. Colnago has Shimano 105 & Fulcrum R7 wheels, the Wilier has Campagnolo Veloce and Fulcrum R7 wheels. The Colnago is $2500 and the Wilier $2050 and is currently on sale at my LBS down from $3000.

Has anyone ridden the Wilier and got comments? Or even better ridden both?

Thanks in advance!

Well, there not the same frames, so banish that thought. What you need to do to make your decision is get a test ride on each of the bikes.

The component groups are similar in level, although I would give the edge to Campy Veloce.

I just bought a Wilier Lavaredo, which is the same as the Triestina - the only difference is that the Triestina has carbon seatstays while the Lavaredo is all-aluminium.

I bought the frame and fork as a budget replacement for my CAAD 9 which was damaged in a wreck, as I couldn't afford another CAAD 9 here in Japan - they're quite a bit more than what they cost in the US.

Because of the price, I wasn't expecting the same ride as my CAAD 9. However, I was pleasantly surprised. Subjectively, it felt very much like a Cinelli Experience I had a few years ago....or it could just be my imagination, I don't really trust my own perceptions that much;)

It rides fine, maybe feels a little stiffer than the CAAD (again, my perception), and handles great, no problems so far. The finish was nice enough for the price - the welds look like they have been smoothed a bit, so they're not huge caterpillar-like blobs, which is nice. Of course, they aren't sanded down like on the CAAD, though. The decals under the clear coat are fine, although they might be off by a millimeter or so where they meet after wrapping around the tube, ie, not exactly perfect.

There were no other problems with for example, the bottom bracket threads, in fact it looks like the shell may have been faced as well (surprisingly!). However, as I use a square taper bb, I can't say for sure whether this is the case or not, seeing as how you would only notice if the shell faces are parallel when using an outboard bb.

The front fork is carbon with an alu steerer. Again, for the price I guess I can't complain.

Overall, I would say Wilier's lower-priced offerings are a good value. It reminds me that aluminium construction has come quite a ways from a decade or so ago, and also that because carbon is so popular nowadays, it's possible to get a quality alu bike that will probably suit your purposes just as well as carbon, while being cheaper.

As an aside, I also like that Wilier is a bit rarer than the Colnago....although I don't know if that's the case in the US.

Fresh79 said:
What are the differences in the frame?

A lot: frame geometry, tube shapes, rear triangles, forks. Colnago also has more sizes available. Again, your best bet is going to be to take a test ride on each bike.

+1 to what Alienator said: you really need to test ride both bikes to see which one you like better.

Speaking of geometry, the Wilier was steeper than my CAAD (74.5 vs 73.5 in a size 54, same top tube length) - don't know how this compares to your current ride or the Colnago. In my case, I ended up liking the longer reach, YMMV.

Thanks for the info. I should've mentioned initially this is for my first roadie since I was 17 riding a Univega Conquest, so I've been out of the loop.

I'll ride both and see how they compare.