Colnago Bititan

Discussion in 'Road Cycling' started by Trent, Mar 8, 2003.

  1. Trent

    Trent Guest

    Tags:

  2. Russ Baxter

    Russ Baxter Guest

  3. Max Watt

    Max Watt Guest

    [email protected] (Trent) wrote in message
    news:<[email protected]>...
    > I saw this Bititan on eBay at http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=2716137146
    >
    > I've always been interested in it. It seems like a classic. Was that a good frame? Does it handle
    > as nice as my Master Light?

    In a wet ride, the mud, dirt and water kicked up by the wheel splashes on you instead of on the down
    tube. I never realized how much of a fender the downtube is until a wet ride. The double downtube is
    no stronger in any way than a single tube, and weighs more.

  4. Tom Kunich

    Tom Kunich Guest

  5. Tom Kunich

    Tom Kunich Guest

    "Max Watt" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]...
    > [email protected] (Trent) wrote in message
    news:<e76363d5.0303081650.7a4350[email protected]>...
    > > I saw this Bititan on eBay at http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=2716137146
    > >
    > > I've always been interested in it. It seems like a classic. Was
    that
    > > a good frame? Does it handle as nice as my Master Light?
    >
    > In a wet ride, the mud, dirt and water kicked up by the wheel splashes on you instead of on the
    > down tube. I never realized how much of a fender the downtube is until a wet ride. The double
    > downtube is no stronger in any way than a single tube, and weighs more.

    But it makes the descending incredably stable. Forget speed wobbles and scary flexing.

  6. Todd Holland

    Todd Holland Guest

    The Bititan was known for cracking. This bike is the "Master Ti" that was at least two evolutions
    later. I think the America came between them. Any Nagophiles have the whole history?

    Anyhow, Ernesto figured out how to manage the lateral-vs-torsional stiffness tradeoff of the dual
    down tubes, and made some changes. The one I can see is a cross-ovalized lower seat tube. I don't
    know what else was done besides the Gilco diamond-shaped top tube (looks groovy but doesn't affect
    the BB much).

    The result was a very reliable and sweet-handling bike.

    Todd H.

    [email protected] (Russ Baxter) wrote in message
    news:<[email protected]>...
    > It was a nice riding frame that was know for cracking at the bottom bracket.
    >

    > [email protected] (Trent) wrote in message
    > news:<[email protected]>...
    > > I saw this Bititan on eBay at http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=2716137146
    > >
    > > I've always been interested in it. It seems like a classic. Was that a good frame? Does it
    > > handle as nice as my Master Light?

  7. "Max Watt" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]...
    > [email protected] (Trent) wrote in message
    > news:<[email protected]>...
    > > I saw this Bititan on eBay at http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=2716137146
    > >
    > > I've always been interested in it. It seems like a classic. Was that a good frame? Does it
    > > handle as nice as my Master Light?
    >
    > In a wet ride, the mud, dirt and water kicked up by the wheel splashes on you instead of on the
    > down tube. I never realized how much of a fender the downtube is until a wet ride. The double
    > downtube is no stronger in any way than a single tube, and weighs more.

    If one knows how to make basic moment of inertia calculations, it is easy to see that 2 smaller
    downtubes is inferior from the standpoint of torsional stifness vs. weight.