colnago kit, buckwheat soba or al dente spaghetti?

Discussion in 'Cycling Equipment' started by Hypnospin, May 9, 2005.

1. Hypnospin

Hypnospin New Member

ok, i know some prefer campy, some shimano. but say you were to build your colnago c-50 wouldya use d/a or record? keep it all italia or go for the best japan has to offer?
    maybe a mix? with mavic, tune, tiso or...

keep in mind, it is ok to feel the way you do.

Tags:

2. 53-11

53-11 New Member

I'm no purist. Whatever works the best goes on there.

Form follows function.

Boreas Ignis bikes had Record with DA7800 cranks I thought.

3. strummer_fan

strummer_fan New Member

I think the biggest factor in your decision should be on the brake / shifters. I really like the Campagnolo Ergo units (shift down to smaller ring with your thumb.)

If you like the Campagnolo or Shimano shifting better, that might determine your: Shifters / Deraileurs / Cassette / Wheelset.

So, in my case, I'd just get Campagnolo Centaur and use the rest of the money for something else...

4. Powerful Pete

Powerful Pete New Member

Campagnolo.

Anything else should be illegal. :rolleyes:
    Jokes aside, congrats on your new ride. Build it Campagnolo Record with the carbon cranks. Then post pictures... :D And Bora wheels too, please.

Grazie.

5. RC2

RC2 New Member

I'll take the C50 with whatever you want to throw on it -- give me Sora and I'll be happy! (I know it's 'illegal' but I'll be able to out-run the grouppo faux paz police.) :D

6. wilmar13

wilmar13 New Member

Very true, I have big hands and you know what that means.... yeah big gloves(ok lame joke), and also that the reach to the shifter from the drops doesn't bother me as that seems to be the common complaint with Campy Ergo stuff.

I have full campy on my singles, but I mixed Shim with Campy on my tandem and it works fine. Really the only thing where there is a real difference is the shifters and that is personal preference. Oh and I guess if you stay pure campy you stay with the ancient square BB taper, but after intitially slobering all over the new external bearing set-ups I decided it was more marketing than any real advantage (just my opinion). Mix and match as desired.

7. spacefuzz

spacefuzz New Member

i agree the shifters are the biggest preference. use what works and i dont see the big deal in mixing stuff. make one shifter campy and one shimano just to throw people off.

8. Hypnospin

Hypnospin New Member

centaur may represent the best value, a look at the campy parts list reveals how much it shares with record...and there is a decreasing dollars to gram reduction payoff with the chorus and record. as for the rest of the money? buy the wife something nice? or take off on a cycling binge?

9. Hypnospin

Hypnospin New Member

pete, thanks for the congrats, even though i didn't fully spill the beans.
    my new bike is an '04 c40 hp. the reason i mentioned c-50 was so folks would not steer in the direction of 8/9 speed record or 9s D/A to relive the glory days of the 90's.

"Not that there's anything wrong with that" Seinfeld

10. Powerful Pete

Powerful Pete New Member

Well congrats anyway. :) And honesty is always better. As the other posters said, get Centaur if you are sensible, Chorus or Record if you are not.

I ride Chorus...:D