Colnago master light - ? 2001?

bustergomez

Nov 16, 2017
Hi there!
I'm interested in buying a similar bike here: https://lincoln.craigslist.org/bik/d/colnago-masters-bike/6339202442.html

I was wondering if this is a good price? I have a pawn shop in town selling one for $1k, with spinergy sr-3 with ultegra comps.

I can't find much about blue book value on these bikes, but they seem to be many enthusiasts. I'm really interested in the riding on steel. On eBay, these bikes can be fairly expensive. Is there someone who know's which bikes are worth the investment?

2001 catalogs : http://velobase.com/Resource_Tools/CatalogScans.aspx

Attachments

• IMG_3683.JPG
    IMG_3683.JPG
    552.1 KB · Views: 47
  • IMG_3684.JPG
    IMG_3684.JPG
    712.8 KB · Views: 55
  • IMG_3688.JPG
    IMG_3688.JPG
    509.6 KB · Views: 53
  • IMG_3685.JPG
    IMG_3685.JPG
    559.2 KB · Views: 47
  • IMG_3267.JPG
    IMG_3267.JPG
    570.3 KB · Views: 40
A grand is about top dollar for that, but if it were straight, no dents or cracks and it was something I wanted to ride...I would offer $$800 and go to $900 as a counter offer.

The Master series was always a good frame to train and race on.

I agree with Campy Bob as well. Make sure it fits before you buy it of course, but they made excellent steel lugged bikes that lasted a long time, and that one you're looking at has the fluted design tubing, that is really cool, as is the color scheme and decals. I would buy it as well, but as Campy Bob pointed out make an offer.

Make sure it fits before you buy it of course
The pictured frame size looks to be about 52cm ... which means that the top tube (c-c) is only about 53cm ...

The particular frame which will work well for a person between (roughly) 5'2" and 5'7" AFTER possibly changing the stem length and/or handlebar.

So, it is fairly critical that you know the frame size on ANY bike you are looking at ...

If you don't already have one, you can buy a METRIC tape measure from WalMart.​

FWIW. I reckon a rideable, used steel COLNAGO frame (alone) is worth between $400(US) and $850(US) depending on the condition & model-and-vintage ...

A used threadless COLNAGO fork is good for about $200 +/- ... maybe more for straight leg'd PRECISA forks, and maybe less for the older curved forks (which are probably ONLY threaded) ... rusts negates value heavily, IMO.

Although the particular fork which is pictured may not be aesthetically pleasing (to me), I recall that it was very popular amongst Tandem riders; so, it is a good fork which should provide excellent handling.

The 9-speed Shimano components are what they are (I happen to love them ... except for the shifters!) ... regardless, the value depends on the condition.​

This post is old now, but i didn't notice the first time I looked at that the fork isn't original, which in my opinion makes the bike worth less, but it raises a question...was the bike in an accident that destroyed the fork? which makes me wonder about the condition of the frame.

This post is old now, but i didn't notice the first time I looked at that the fork isn't original, which in my opinion makes the bike worth less, but it raises a question...was the bike in an accident that destroyed the fork? which makes me wonder about the condition of the frame.
FWIW ...

The frame possibly dates to 1999 ...

And, a threaded Colnago fork was probably the standard off-the-peg option ...

You may recall that in 2000, threadless forks were NOT common on Road bikes.
Possibly, a painted (vs. chrome) steel fork ...

As I recall-and-indicated, the particular fork which is on the pictured bike was a popular choice amongst Tandem riders ...
Of course, the Colnago frame was not necessarily sold with the fork ... so, the bike may have been assembled with the particular fork AND 9-speed Shimano Ultegra components which date from roughly 1998-2002 ...

And at the time, the particular popular-with-Tandem-riders fork could probably be considered to have been an upgrade BECAUSE even if the particular frame was available with a carbon fiber fork, the standard off-the-peg option would have been the least of the three available (aluminum shoulder with CF legs vs. an all CF fork vs. the "Star" fork which had a CF steerer + CF legs).​

Last edited:
Colnago and Pinarello in complete bikes are REALLY expensive even if the parts are cheap. If you buy frames for these two in good condition you would pay as much as you are quoting for a full bike.

Just remember - for these two bikes you're paying for the name. (Might include DeRosa in that group as well.)

Going on a trip by yourself is not a good idea at all, because it may be dangerous even for high-skilled professionals. It is always important to have someone by your side for two reasons: firstly, in a situation when you need help with setting a tent or fire, it will be easy to do it together. Secondly, you both will have much more resources: you will have more food, one more camping lantern, tent and sleeping bag. Eventually you are capable of being on track longer if something extreme happens. Also, before going on such a trip, try to be prepared as much as possible. Be prepared physically and mentally. Stay safe!

Going on a trip by yourself is not a good idea at all, because it may be dangerous even for high-skilled professionals. It is always important to have someone by your side for two reasons: firstly, in a situation when you need help with setting a tent or fire, it will be easy to do it together. Secondly, you both will have much more resources: you will have more food, one more camping lantern, tent and sleeping bag. Eventually you are capable of being on track longer if something extreme happens. Also, before going on such a trip, try to be prepared as much as possible. Be prepared physically and mentally. Stay safe!

I went to Yosemite last year and can share some tips on how to make the trip much more engaging and cool. When you will be on the Cathedral Lakes, try to go there at a suitable time, after the sunset try to stay a little bit longer, because the nature there is amazing! Personally, I played some table games around the lakes and had some snacks. But don't forget some light, because there are not so many there. Because of that, we took a camping lantern with us. Have a nice trip!

In such situations it is better to think extreme and quick. When I have been on a snowy mountain in Nepal, my team has lost track in the middle of the journey and we didn't have enough food and it was warm to stay for 3 days. My friend recommended that we use the camping lantern to stay warm. And when the battery will run out, use the rest of the energy to create fire (if necessary). Fortunately for us, we managed to escape in 2 days and never repeated the mistake again. The same I will recommend to you guys, don't panic and try to think as much as possible!

Ah, the allure of a classic steel steed! I can certainly understand why you're drawn to that Colnago Masters bike. As for the price, it's a bit tricky to determine a blue book value for such a bike, as these vintage machines tend to have a unique market value. That being said, the price you mentioned for the pawn shop bike with Ultegra components and Spinergy wheels seems quite reasonable.

Now, let's talk about the joy of riding on steel. There's something undeniably charming about the smooth, lively ride that a well-crafted steel frame provides. It's a sensation that many cyclists, myself included, hold dear to their hearts. If you're after that classic feel, the Colnago Masters could be a fantastic choice.

As for knowing which bikes are worth the investment, I'd recommend checking out forums, groups, and websites dedicated to vintage bicycles. These communities are often filled with knowledgeable enthusiasts who can provide valuable insights and opinions.

And hey, if you're still on the fence, just remember that you can't put a price on the wind in your hair and the sun on your face as you cruise down the road on a beautiful piece of cycling history. Happy hunting!

Hey there, sounds like you're onto something good! I've been cycling for over a decade, and I can tell you that Colnago is a well-respected brand in the cycling community. Steel frames are definitely worth checking out - they offer a smooth, comfortable ride that many cyclists enjoy.

As for the price, it's hard to say without more information about the bike's condition and components. However, the eBay prices you mentioned suggest that the Craigslist price might be a decent deal. The spinergy sr-3 wheels and ultegra components on the pawn shop bike could also add value.

Ultimately, it's important to do your own research and consider your personal preferences and budget. There are definitely some Colnago enthusiasts out there who can offer more specific advice. Good luck with your search, and happy riding! :)