Colnago Master X-light

cyclist_nc

Nov 27, 2003
Need advise for gearing setup. I am purchasing a Colnago Master X-light with Campy Record. My LBS has recommended a double front with a 12/29 rather than a triple with 11/21. I am currently living in the Washington, D.C. area which has very few long climbs. This bike will be used primarily for fast recreational riding. Doe's this setup sound reasonable?

Originally posted by cyclist_nc
Need advise for gearing setup. I am purchasing a Colnago Master X-light with Campy Record. My LBS has recommended a double front with a 12/29 rather than a triple with 11/21. I am currently living in the Washington, D.C. area which has very few long climbs. This bike will be used primarily for fast recreational riding. Doe's this setup sound reasonable?

If it is mostly flat, the double with 12-29 would be more than sufficient. Actually, you could probably go 12-25 with no problem (this will be somewhat subjective based on your fitness though). Enjoy the bike!!!

Jeff

well, unless you are planning on moving to or holidaying in the rockies, i would stick with an 11/21 or 11/23 set up.
i really dont believe you'll have any need to go for the 12/29 set up.

That 29 cog and a 39 small ring gives you the same low gear as a triple with a 23 cog and a 30 small ring. So what's the point to a 29? Maybe you and the shop guy need to consult a gear inch chart. Who here knows what kind of gearing you need anyway? Do you even need an 11 small cog. Most mortals don't.

Boudreaux is right. And it won't make a difference. The triple would be handy because you'd have a tight cluster in the back, with lots of choices. But whoopdeedoo. I'd get a 13-26 with a double in front and be done with it. I lived in the DC area, and there are *very* few hills where you'd need a 29 in the rear.

As some of the other posters said, I doubt you even need a 39x26 for the hills around DC, a 23 would be more than enough if my memory serves me (long time since my college days at Georgetown Univ).

Congrats on the bike, by the way!