Colnago Titanio question

Lee

Guest
A quick question...

I have the option of buying either a '99 Colnago Titanio or an '02 Titanio
frame.

The price, sizes and condition are all the same, the only difference is in
the downtube. The '02 does not have carbon or B stays, so other than the
downtube, I believe the frames are identical.

The '99 has an oversized round downtube, while the '02 has a shaped
aerodynamic downtube (round on the leading edge, shaped to a point on the
trailing edge.

This may be picking nits, but will there be any difference in the ride of
these two frames, or will it be purely esthetic?

Thanks,

Lee

Lee wrote:
> A quick question...
>
> I have the option of buying either a '99 Colnago Titanio or an '02 Titanio
> frame.
>
> The price, sizes and condition are all the same, the only difference is in
> the downtube. The '02 does not have carbon or B stays, so other than the
> downtube, I believe the frames are identical.
>
> The '99 has an oversized round downtube, while the '02 has a shaped
> aerodynamic downtube (round on the leading edge, shaped to a point on the
> trailing edge.
>
> This may be picking nits, but will there be any difference in the ride of
> these two frames, or will it be purely esthetic?
>
> Thanks,
>
> Lee

I can't comment on the difference in rides, but I can say that there
has been a problem with bonding carbon as it degrades over time,
considering that the 99 has bonded carbon 7 years old I would suggest
the 02 be the wisest choice.

They're both 100% 6/4 titanium frames.

Lee

news:[email protected]...

Lee wrote:
> They're both 100% 6/4 titanium frames.
>
> Lee
>
> <[email protected]> wrote in message
> news:[email protected]...
> >
> > Lee wrote:
> >> A quick question...
> >>
> >> I have the option of buying either a '99 Colnago Titanio or an '02
> >> Titanio
> >> frame.
> >>
> >> The price, sizes and condition are all the same, the only difference is
> >> in
> >> the downtube. The '02 does not have carbon or B stays, so other than the
> >> downtube, I believe the frames are identical.
> >>
> >> The '99 has an oversized round downtube, while the '02 has a shaped
> >> aerodynamic downtube (round on the leading edge, shaped to a point on the
> >> trailing edge.
> >>
> >> This may be picking nits, but will there be any difference in the ride of
> >> these two frames, or will it be purely esthetic?
> >>
> >> Thanks,
> >>
> >> Lee

> > I can't comment on the difference in rides, but I can say that there
> > has been a problem with bonding carbon as it degrades over time,
> > considering that the 99 has bonded carbon 7 years old I would suggest
> > the 02 be the wisest choice.

Sorry, I interpreted "The '02 does not have carbon or B stays" to mean
that the 99 does.
Well then I can't help you on any technical mater.

On 22 Jul 2006 09:51:27 -0700, [email protected] wrote:

>Lee wrote:
>> A quick question...
>>
>> I have the option of buying either a '99 Colnago Titanio or an '02 Titanio
>> frame.
>>
>> The price, sizes and condition are all the same, the only difference is in
>> the downtube. The '02 does not have carbon or B stays, so other than the
>> downtube, I believe the frames are identical.
>>
>> The '99 has an oversized round downtube, while the '02 has a shaped
>> aerodynamic downtube (round on the leading edge, shaped to a point on the
>> trailing edge.
>>
>> This may be picking nits, but will there be any difference in the ride of
>> these two frames, or will it be purely esthetic?
>>
>> Thanks,
>>
>> Lee

>I can't comment on the difference in rides, but I can say that there
>has been a problem with bonding carbon as it degrades over time,
>considering that the 99 has bonded carbon 7 years old I would suggest
>the 02 be the wisest choice.

A couple months ago I sold my old Girvin CF MTB fork. It's older than some
national monuments. It was battered to hell, the powder coat on the aluminum
bits was scarred and damaged. The bonding and CF fork legs were perfect.

I'm very skeptical of carbon in theory, just the way I am, but I keep finding
the stuff holds up.

Ron

Lee wrote:
> This may be picking nits, but will there be any difference in the ride of
> these two frames, or will it be purely esthetic?

The aero tube will have a little better aero performance, and the round
tube should have better torsional stiffness (assuming the weights are
similar).