Colnago's Paint Pain

bicycle_disciple

Guest
I've been reading reviews on Road Bike Review for the Colnago Master X-
Light. The bike handles, climbs and accelerates like a dream, most
say. However, quite a few also point out the problematic paint of the
frame. Chips and nicks are easily made.

For a 2000 dollar frame, you would think that they would put more
thought into paint durability.

For a potential purchaser of a frame like this, what precautions can
be taken to ensure minimum damage to the frame, apart from keeping a
watch on it more than your baby offspring :)

B.D

On Jul 28, 9:40 pm, bicycle_disciple <[email protected]>
wrote:
> I've been reading reviews on Road Bike Review for the Colnago Master X-
> Light. The bike handles, climbs and accelerates like a dream, most
> say. However, quite a few also point out the problematic paint of the
> frame. Chips and nicks are easily made.
>
> For a 2000 dollar frame, you would think that they would put more
> thought into paint durability.
>
> For a potential purchaser of a frame like this, what precautions can
> be taken to ensure minimum damage to the frame, apart from keeping a
> watch on it more than your baby offspring :)
>
> B.D

you can buy a roll of book-jacket laminate and use that on the tubes;
a single layer wraps nicely around, protects against a lot of misc
damage and blends in too so your frame still displays it's artistic
paint work. when you peel off the laminate after a year you will
notice the difference. I've used that method on my bikes including 5
years as a bike courier and kept my frames looking years younger than
they actually are. put it on like wallpaper, nice even no air bubbles.
with a few washes of your bike with a soft cloth you won't even notice
it's there.

On Jul 28, 10:16 pm, [email protected] wrote:
> On Jul 28, 9:40 pm, bicycle_disciple <[email protected]>
> wrote:
>
> > I've been reading reviews on Road Bike Review for the Colnago Master X-
> > Light. The bike handles, climbs and accelerates like a dream, most
> > say. However, quite a few also point out the problematic paint of the
> > frame. Chips and nicks are easily made.

> > For a 2000 dollar frame, you would think that they would put more
> > thought into paint durability.

> > For a potential purchaser of a frame like this, what precautions can
> > be taken to ensure minimum damage to the frame, apart from keeping a
> > watch on it more than your baby offspring :)

> > B.D

> you can buy a roll of book-jacket laminate and use that on the tubes;
> a single layer wraps nicely around, protects against a lot of misc
> damage and blends in too so your frame still displays it's artistic
> paint work. when you peel off the laminate after a year you will
> notice the difference. I've used that method on my bikes including 5
> years as a bike courier and kept my frames looking years younger than
> they actually are. put it on like wallpaper, nice even no air bubbles.
> with a few washes of your bike with a soft cloth you won't even notice
> it's there.

Very interesting idea for a fix. What do you mean by the last
statement though? The laminate won't wash off right, leaving me to
laminate it once again?

Since we're on colnago topic here, one more question.

Given all factors are equal, whats a better bike to choose out of the
two - Master X-light or CT1. Better in the sense for climbing,
sprinting, and general performance cost wise.

Thanks

On Jul 28, 10:26 pm, bicycle_disciple <[email protected]>
wrote:
> On Jul 28, 10:16 pm, [email protected] wrote:
>

> > On Jul 28, 9:40 pm, bicycle_disciple <[email protected]>
> > wrote:

> > > I've been reading reviews on Road Bike Review for the Colnago Master X-
> > > Light. The bike handles, climbs and accelerates like a dream, most
> > > say. However, quite a few also point out the problematic paint of the
> > > frame. Chips and nicks are easily made.

> > > For a 2000 dollar frame, you would think that they would put more
> > > thought into paint durability.

> > > For a potential purchaser of a frame like this, what precautions can
> > > be taken to ensure minimum damage to the frame, apart from keeping a
> > > watch on it more than your baby offspring :)

> > > B.D

> > you can buy a roll of book-jacket laminate and use that on the tubes;
> > a single layer wraps nicely around, protects against a lot of misc
> > damage and blends in too so your frame still displays it's artistic
> > paint work. when you peel off the laminate after a year you will
> > notice the difference. I've used that method on my bikes including 5
> > years as a bike courier and kept my frames looking years younger than
> > they actually are. put it on like wallpaper, nice even no air bubbles.
> > with a few washes of your bike with a soft cloth you won't even notice
> > it's there.

> Very interesting idea for a fix. What do you mean by the last
> statement though? The laminate won't wash off right, leaving me to
> laminate it once again?
>
> Since we're on colnago topic here, one more question.
>
> Given all factors are equal, whats a better bike to choose out of the
> two - Master X-light or CT1. Better in the sense for climbing,
> sprinting, and general performance cost wise.
>
> Thanks

Oh my bad. I didnt notice "BOOK-JACKET" laminate. Wonder how much
weight all that would ass up. It would have to intricately worked
around the tubes to not look weird. I can understand how it will look
clear and nice though.

wrote:
> On Jul 28, 10:16 pm, [email protected] wrote:
>

> > On Jul 28, 9:40 pm, bicycle_disciple <[email protected]>
> > wrote:

> > > I've been reading reviews on Road Bike Review for the Colnago Master X-
> > > Light. The bike handles, climbs and accelerates like a dream, most
> > > say. However, quite a few also point out the problematic paint of the
> > > frame. Chips and nicks are easily made.

> > > For a 2000 dollar frame, you would think that they would put more
> > > thought into paint durability.

> > > For a potential purchaser of a frame like this, what precautions can
> > > be taken to ensure minimum damage to the frame, apart from keeping a
> > > watch on it more than your baby offspring :)

> > > B.D

> > you can buy a roll of book-jacket laminate and use that on the tubes;
> > a single layer wraps nicely around, protects against a lot of misc
> > damage and blends in too so your frame still displays it's artistic
> > paint work. when you peel off the laminate after a year you will
> > notice the difference. I've used that method on my bikes including 5
> > years as a bike courier and kept my frames looking years younger than
> > they actually are. put it on like wallpaper, nice even no air bubbles.
> > with a few washes of your bike with a soft cloth you won't even notice
> > it's there.

> Very interesting idea for a fix. What do you mean by the last
> statement though? The laminate won't wash off right, leaving me to
> laminate it once again?
>
> Since we're on colnago topic here, one more question.
>
> Given all factors are equal, whats a better bike to choose out of the
> two - Master X-light or CT1. Better in the sense for climbing,
> sprinting, and general performance cost wise.
>
> Thanks- Hide quoted text -

no it doesn't wash off, but rain will curl the edges in time so every
year or so you'll want to peel off the laminate and give yourself a
nice fresh clean layer. you won't be able to protect everything on
your bike of course, but you can do the downtube seattube and toptube
very nicely, the stays are a lot trickier because the smaller
diameters and such, but you can protect against errant stones on the
outer parts where chips and scratches will detract from the overall
appearance of the frame. the nice thing is that the laminate is cheap,
$4 or so for a roll and you got your bike covered and some left for
whenever. strip the frame before you start, clean it and wipe it down
so no oil will loosen the laminate glue. the laminate has a paper
backing so you can measure and cut to size and check the fit before
you place it. try to do as large sections as you can, not a bunch of
small strips because that will look ugly, and you do a single wrap
around each tube with no overlap.start at the underside of the tube,
the seam is best on the underside where you won't notice it so much,
and you can make sure it's straight along the centerline or adjust it
easier. do not cut the laminate while it's on the frame because you
will score your paint for sure. when you are checking the fit you will
note where you will have to cut out a small section for your water
bottle bosses-
don't remove more of the laminate backing than you need when you are
putting it on- it will just make it more difficult to work with. you
shouldn't have to worry about the laminate glue; the stuff here is for
books so is made to peel off cleanly without ripping the jacket.

you will learn enough doing it once that the second time you should
find yourself fairly happy with the result.

On Jul 28, 9:49 pm, bicycle_disciple <[email protected]>
wrote:
> On Jul 28, 10:26 pm, bicycle_disciple <[email protected]>
> wrote:
>

> > On Jul 28, 10:16 pm, [email protected] wrote:

> > > you can buy a roll of book-jacket laminate and use that on the tubes;
> > > a single layer wraps nicely around, protects against a lot of misc
> > > damage and blends in too so your frame still displays it's artistic
> > > paint work. when you peel off the laminate after a year you will
> > > notice the difference. I've used that method on my bikes including 5
> > > years as a bike courier and kept my frames looking years younger than
> > > they actually are. put it on like wallpaper, nice even no air bubbles.
> > > with a few washes of your bike with a soft cloth you won't even notice
> > > it's there.

> > Very interesting idea for a fix. What do you mean by the last
> > statement though? The laminate won't wash off right, leaving me to
> > laminate it once again?

> > Since we're on colnago topic here, one more question.

> > Given all factors are equal, whats a better bike to choose out of the
> > two - Master X-light or CT1. Better in the sense for climbing,
> > sprinting, and general performance cost wise.

> > Thanks

> Oh my bad. I didnt notice "BOOK-JACKET" laminate. Wonder how much
> weight all that would ass up.

Probably about 5-6kg if you did it yourself.

bicycle_disciple wrote:

> I've been reading reviews on Road Bike Review for the Colnago Master X-
> Light. The bike handles, climbs and accelerates like a dream, most
> say. However, quite a few also point out the problematic paint of the
> frame. Chips and nicks are easily made.
>
> For a 2000 dollar frame, you would think that they would put more
> thought into paint durability.

I thought crappy paint was one of the traditional virtues of any
Italian sporting vehicle.

Chalo

On Jul 29, 1:40 am, Chalo <[email protected]> wrote:
> bicycle_disciple wrote:
>
> > I've been reading reviews on Road Bike Review for the Colnago Master X-
> > Light. The bike handles, climbs and accelerates like a dream, most
> > say. However, quite a few also point out the problematic paint of the
> > frame. Chips and nicks are easily made.

> > For a 2000 dollar frame, you would think that they would put more
> > thought into paint durability.

> I thought crappy paint was one of the traditional virtues of any
> Italian sporting vehicle.
>
> Chalo

your ferrari scratched too easily ?

[email protected] wrote:

> Chalo wrote:
> >
> > I thought crappy paint was one of the traditional virtues of any
> > Italian sporting vehicle.

> your ferrari scratched too easily ?

Pink Ducatis and Moto Guzzis spring to mind.

Chalo

On Jul 28, 7:40 pm, bicycle_disciple <[email protected]>
wrote:
> I've been reading reviews on Road Bike Review for the Colnago Master X-
> Light. The bike handles, climbs and accelerates like a dream, most
> say. However, quite a few also point out the problematic paint of the
> frame. Chips and nicks are easily made.
>
> For a 2000 dollar frame, you would think that they would put more
> thought into paint durability.
>
> For a potential purchaser of a frame like this, what precautions can
> be taken to ensure minimum damage to the frame, apart from keeping a
> watch on it more than your baby offspring :)
>
> B.D

Buy a Waterford R-33...'frame like that'.

On Jul 29, 12:38 am, landotter <[email protected]> wrote:
> On Jul 28, 9:49 pm, bicycle_disciple <[email protected]>
> wrote:
>

> > On Jul 28, 10:26 pm, bicycle_disciple <[email protected]>
> > wrote:

> > > Very interesting idea for a fix. What do you mean by the last
> > > statement though? The laminate won't wash off right, leaving me to
> > > laminate it once again?

> > > Since we're on colnago topic here, one more question.

> > > Given all factors are equal, whats a better bike to choose out of the
> > > two - Master X-light or CT1. Better in the sense for climbing,
> > > sprinting, and general performance cost wise.

> > > Thanks

> > Oh my bad. I didnt notice "BOOK-JACKET" laminate. Wonder how much
> > weight all that would ass up.

> Probably about 5-6kg if you did it yourself.- Hide quoted text -

the weight is negligible- i have a roll in my file drawer and it
weights less than a cd off the shelf. You know I don't care if you
try it or not, so good luck with however you want to protect your
frame. bye

On 29 Lug, 03:40, bicycle_disciple <[email protected]> wrote:
> I've been reading reviews on Road Bike Review for the Colnago Master X- Light.
> For a 2000 dollar frame, you would think that they would put more
> thought into paint durability.

Would it be possible to read such a review verbatim?
I personally know the official Colnago painter and I promise I shall
have him read and comment on that.

Sergio
Pisa

On Jul 29, 11:13 am, sergio <[email protected]> wrote:
> On 29 Lug, 03:40, bicycle_disciple <[email protected]> wrote:
>
> > I've been reading reviews on Road Bike Review for the Colnago Master X- Light.
> > For a 2000 dollar frame, you would think that they would put more
> > thought into paint durability.

> Would it be possible to read such a review verbatim?
> I personally know the official Colnago painter and I promise I shall
> have him read and comment on that.
>
> Sergio
> Pisa

Good idea Sergio. Not that I don't believe you. He needs to know that
hundreds of Colnago users complain about just one thing - paint.
Everything else is top notch. I wonder if by special request, I can
have the paint done such that it doesn't come off so easily.

BD

Seems to me this is a Chinese frame. The Italians, like the American bike
companies have found they they make 700% markup on their frames and still
sell them at a lower price than the homemade product.

"Chalo" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
> bicycle_disciple wrote:
>>
>> I've been reading reviews on Road Bike Review for the Colnago Master X-
>> Light. The bike handles, climbs and accelerates like a dream, most
>> say. However, quite a few also point out the problematic paint of the
>> frame. Chips and nicks are easily made.
>>
>> For a 2000 dollar frame, you would think that they would put more
>> thought into paint durability.

> I thought crappy paint was one of the traditional virtues of any
> Italian sporting vehicle.
>
> Chalo

On 29 Lug, 18:58, bicycle_disciple
> Good idea Sergio. Not that I don't believe you.

So, let me have some texts.

I wonder if by special request, I can
> have the paint done such that it doesn't come off so easily.

Not possible. This guy has an exclusive contract with Colnago: no
other bike frames can he spray but Ernesto's, although they do paint
several other items as well.
If you wish, check it out under www.pamapaint.it, or something like
that.

Sergio
Pisa

sergio wrote:

> Not possible. This guy has an exclusive contract with Colnago: no
> other bike frames can he spray but Ernesto's, although they do paint
> several other items as well.

How come that the Colnago importer here in Holland tells me the frames are
painted in Belgium?

Derk

On Jul 30, 10:59 am, Derk <[email protected]> wrote:
> sergio wrote:
> > Not possible. This guy has an exclusive contract with Colnago: no
> > other bike frames can he spray but Ernesto's, although they do paint
> > several other items as well.

> How come that the Colnago importer here in Holland tells me the frames are
> painted in Belgium?

This I can't answer.
Come over, and I'll show you this spraying plant.

Sergio
Pisa

On Jul 29, 6:05 pm, sergio <[email protected]> wrote:

> Not possible. This guy has an exclusive contract with Colnago: no
> other bike frames can he spray but Ernesto's, although they do paint
> several other items as well.

He may have an exclusive contract with Colnago, and he only paints
Colnago bikes, but I'd be very surprised if Colnago didn't use other
painters as well. In any event, it would not be unusual for Colnago
to specify a particular paint for all of their painters to use. Ask
your friend what paint he uses.

> If you wish, check it out under www.pamapaint.it, or something like
> that.

URLs are pretty finicky - "or something like that" doesn't work. Do
you have the correct link? Thanks.

Here's the link on Road Bike Review where a number of people comment
on the paint:
http://tinyurl.com/yvhwsp

<[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
> RicodJour wrote:
> > >

> > URLs are pretty finicky - "or something like that" doesn't work. Do
> > you have the correct link? Thanks.
> >

> Google is not just a newsgroup posting host. ;-)
> http://www.pamapaint.com/home.htm

Looks like these are the folks that airbrush "the man in the boat" artwork
on Nag' toptubes.

I have 3 Nags, the 4th a 1978 got stolen. It was the only one with good
paint.

The paint on my early 80s was just put on to help the rust develop. I
don't think they ever cleaned off the brazing flux. On my 1987 MTB the
paint on the fork has peeled off in sheets. My 1988 Technos has pretty
good paint but the frame was chromed underneath and the paint chips
easily.

Chas.