colnagos...work of art!!!

steeevie boy

Feb 25, 2005
Well im another step closer to building my dream machine.I was recently cotemplating on buying a fondriest status carb frame/forks but after doing more looking around ive found the one that i remember drooling over when i was at school.See my freind was a cycling enthusiast then and ill never forget looking at it for the first time(it was beautiful) it was a colnago frame with all the top gear on it at that time and my thoughts then were that ill never get the chance of owning something like it.My dad and i run a painting and decorating business together now and we work very hard (especially when we want something new ;) )so consequently ive been saving hard too.(basically im trying to say i think i deserve it:rolleyes:)....yeah i do....i know i do....dont i???I have bought mavic kserium sl wheels and yesterday bought a colnago dream frame and forks and i think its beautiful(to look at anyway,because i havnt ridden it yet)the paint job is a work of art(nearly as good as i can do it ;) )and its just different from anything ive seen.Im sure there are other lovely bikes out there but i had to share my excitement with someone.I was up untill after midnight just looking at it...touching it...stroking it(im sure u all know where im coming from)we watched tv together and then went to bed(bike not in the bed):p .Can anyone tell me 1st hand how it rides??I love cycling and i think its a great thing if we can have a bike that excites us when we think of riding it when the snow disappears!roll on summer.Oh but ive got to save more now cos im skint,dry,no more money.Have opted for dura ace groupset but im now a little worried if it will be ok to put on this frame.What do you think?does it really really matter if its not campy??Is it an insult to colnago to put shimano on it!?Too late now rly cos my wheels are for shimano!Make me feel more at ease please!Anyway im going on my bike now because the sooner i get back the sooner i can look at my frame again.Thanks for reading!

Steve

Paragraphs are your friend. :D

I saw in there though a question about putting DA on a Colnago frame. Sure its ok to put DA on a Colnago. Put whatever on it you can afford, have available, have wheels for etc. Soley as a work of art yeah, one could make an argument for putting Campy on it. One would also wish to put Campy on it if that is the gruppo they prefer or are most familiar with etc, but if its going to be ridden your choice has to ultimately be practical. DA is going to build a fine ride, but so would Campy.

paragraphs...whats a paragraph lol....dont do them.Anyway since when was this a school examination?;) Thanks for ur reply!Im sure ill be happy with it.It has to be all quality stuff, its just hard to compare when you cant ride on both for an extended period.Ive had campy veloce and mirage and found it good so i guess any of the other 2 will feel alot different considering the price gap as to that of the veloce.
Steve

steeevie boy said:
paragraphs...whats a paragraph lol....dont do them.Anyway since when was this a school examination?;) Thanks for ur reply!Im sure ill be happy with it.It has to be all quality stuff, its just hard to compare when you cant ride on both for an extended period.Ive had campy veloce and mirage and found it good so i guess any of the other 2 will feel alot different considering the price gap as to that of the veloce.
Steve

Wasnt a criticism - just a friendly elbow - since I lost focus and didnt read all of it. My problem, not yours. :D

Read it again. In no way feel bad about DA. Its a matter of preference ultimately anyway. If it comes down to being a money issue, pick what then allows you to go further with what you have and, if you already have Shimano wheels, that's going to be DA. You wont be unhappy.

If its a concern, head on over to your LBS and see if you can minimally have a look at a bike built from each if you cant also ride each.

A main difference between the two is the feeling of the hoods and functionality of the levers. Shimano has a kind of industrial AL look and Campy a more elegant and sleek kind of look (imho). There are some differences in cassette choices. Campy is the better way to go if you're thinking compact, since you'll get smoother shifting with the Campy CT setup than with an FSA compact crank. Campy has some bling value in the carbon options (this is cool sure, but unnecessary) and also has its Italian tradition and history on the brand, but is more exclusive and expensive. All that said, it still comes down to preference.

Enjoy your new bike when its built. Colnago is a nice frame. Enjoy. :cool:

You're not going to get hit by lighning for putting DA on a Colnago. Either way, you're going to be spending just as much time politely asking people not to get drool on it. Like graf said, the difference is almost entirely feel so go with the one you like best.

I've had my colnago for a few years now--I still stare at it! As far as groupo--get what you can afford, DA is NOT Shabby.

And, hey, you are riding a colnago--if they hassle you b/c you don't have campy--they're just jealous, they are probably wish they had a colnago.;)

Thankyou for that guys i feel alot better now and really appreciate your comments.I have never been a member of a forum but already im beginning to like it!ill keep you informed on my final build but dont hold your breath ill be having to save hard!

Oh and i went on a 50 mile ride today and it was snowing.Not very nice but rewarding when i finished.......plz plz hurry spring/summer, get a move on and give me some rays!!!!Is it true that you feel so much fitter after winter and find it alot easier in the summer.?If so, then today was worth it!Hmmmmm thats a point, i need new specs for bike!Any recommendations??

Chalk up another one in the 'lost focus and didn't read the whole thing' column. Yes paragraphs, and heck even the shift key, are friends of mine. (More friendly elbow jabbing.)

Anyway, to the point, great frame. I'm jealous, good choice.

lol i guess i did go on a little!but dont think it was that boring really!!!!!thanks for your comment rc2!Ill make sure i dont pass u on my new bike!Wouldnt want a stray leg or wheel coming my way!

Steeeeeeeeeevie boy

And the arguement of the beauty and beast.

Have built most of my bikes with Campy groupo's, however, built a Vamoots last year with DA components as well as Shimano wheelsets. Must say the "beast" out shines that blond in the red honda.

Colnago certainly know how to build a frame and the paintjobs they use, especially on the top end stuff, are brilliant.

Save a few quid to shoe it with decent rubber of course!

Cheers

bicyclerubber.com

All the rubber your bikes need !

Im dead cert on the groupo choice now!Even more so when top teams have similar combo's!

What shoes do you recommend then?Does it really make that big a difference at my level?(my level being pleasure at the moment)
Steve:confused:

steeevie boy said:
Im dead cert on the groupo choice now!Even more so when top teams have similar combo's!

What shoes do you recommend then?Does it really make that big a difference at my level?(my level being pleasure at the moment)
Steve:confused:

I don't know if "at your level" the shoes will make a difference, but for a C-50, please, you must mantain the artitstic beautty of the machine.

Why not put Shimano on a Colnago? They both end in the vowel "O" and both are now made in Asia. Japan is much closer to Taiwan than Italy.

Weisse Luft said:
Why not put Shimano on a Colnago? They both end in the vowel "O" and both are now made in Asia. Japan is much closer to Taiwan than Italy.
Now now let us not exaggerate. Colnago has stated that they will begin producing their mid-range in Taiwan. Last I checked a C-50 was not mid-range (I am not, however, familiar with your disposable income, so I could be wrong!:p ).

Great bike, great group, although as an Italian it would have been preferable (IMHO, of course) to go with Campagnolo!

Enjoy the ride!

It isnt actually a C-50, its a colnago dream!Still hi end but i dont really see anything wrong with shim D/A!its all quality stuff.Im not a poser on the bike, i just like to get nice things for myself and not to show off to others.If i were like that i guess campy would be better for posing value (not to to say it isnt quality either).
Steve :D