Color of Foods?

Kumar

Guest
Hello,

"By eating a variety of colorful fruits and vegetables - green,
yellow-orange, red, blue-purple, and white - you're giving your body
a wide range of nutrients that are important for good health. Each
color offers something unique, like different vitamins, minerals, and
disease-fighting phytochemicals, that work together to protect your
health. Only fruits and vegetables, not pills or supplements, can give
you these nutrients in the healthy combinations nature intended. Here
are some examples:
http://www.5aday.gov/color/ "

We have scientific understandings that different colored fruits can
effect differently anh have different nutrients which may be common as
per color. Can you tell me that:-

1, Whether fruits of different colours only give differenciating
effects or all other foods and other substances can all effect
differently & specifically by their colors?

2. Which colour is countable in this respect--of skin, of flesh, of
pulp, of plant, of seeds, of juice, of processed food or otherwise?

3. Can different colored fruits be different smell/flavour or taste
specific?

4. What can be the science of "colours producing specific effects" as
per their colors?

5. Whether "Color Therapies" as indicated in CAMs can be scientific in
this sense?

6. How colors can be related to cardiology, diabetology and immunology?

Best wishes.

I think the information under the link that you sent is misleading -
this webpage does not contain a new theory of fruit colours.

You said "We have a scientific understanding that different colored
fruits can effect differently and have different nutrients which may be
common as per color." Where does this science come from? If it is
science, what is the theory then? The link that you provided does not
provide a theory of fruit colours.

Chris

cguttman wrote:
> I think the information under the link that you sent is misleading -
> this webpage does not contain a new theory of fruit colours.

What is new theory of fruit colours?

> You said "We have a scientific understanding that different colored
> fruits can effect differently and have different nutrients which may be
> common as per color." Where does this science come from? If it is
> science, what is the theory then? The link that you provided does not
> provide a theory of fruit colours. Anyway, i am also interested to know its technicals as per my question #4.
>
> Chris

When doctors commonly advice to eat fruits as per colours and presence
of different nutriens, vitamins..in different colour fruits, is not a
scientific understanding? You may not like links of "color therapies"
as CAM...so not mentioning.
> Kumar wrote:
> > Hello,
> >
> > "By eating a variety of colorful fruits and vegetables - green,
> > yellow-orange, red, blue-purple, and white - you're giving your body
> > a wide range of nutrients that are important for good health. Each
> > color offers something unique, like different vitamins, minerals, and
> > disease-fighting phytochemicals, that work together to protect your
> > health. Only fruits and vegetables, not pills or supplements, can give
> > you these nutrients in the healthy combinations nature intended. Here
> > are some examples:
> > http://www.5aday.gov/color/ "
> >
> > We have scientific understandings that different colored fruits can
> > effect differently anh have different nutrients which may be common as
> > per color. Can you tell me that:-
> >
> > 1, Whether fruits of different colours only give differenciating
> > effects or all other foods and other substances can all effect
> > differently & specifically by their colors?
> >
> > 2. Which colour is countable in this respect--of skin, of flesh, of
> > pulp, of plant, of seeds, of juice, of processed food or otherwise?
> >
> > 3. Can different colored fruits be different smell/flavour or taste
> > specific?
> >
> > 4. What can be the science of "colours producing specific effects" as
> > per their colors?
> >
> > 5. Whether "Color Therapies" as indicated in CAMs can be scientific in
> > this sense?
> >
> > 6. How colors can be related to cardiology, diabetology and immunology?
> >
> > Best wishes.

"Vegetables, fruits and phytoestrogens in the prevention of diseases

The intake of 400-600 g/d of fruits and vegetables is associated with
reduced incidence of many common forms of cancer, and diets rich in
plant foods are also associated with a reduced risk of heart disease
and many chronic diseases of ageing. These foods contain phytochemicals
that have anti-cancer and anti-inflammatory properties which confer
many health benefits. Many phytochemicals are colourful, and
recommending a wide array of colourful fruits and vegetables is an easy
way to communicate increased diversity of intake to the consumer. For
example, red foods contain lycopene, the pigment in tomatoes, which is
localized in the prostate gland and may be involved in maintaining
prostate health, and which has also been linked with a decreased risk
of cardiovascular disease. Green foods, including broccoli, Brussels
sprouts and kale, contain glucosinolates which have also been
associated with a decreased risk of cancer. Garlic and other
white-green foods in the onion family contain allyl sulphides which may
inhibit cancer cell growth. Other bioactive substances in green tea and
soybeans have health benefits as well. Consumers are advised to ingest
one serving of each of the seven colour groups daily, putting this
recommendation within the United States National Cancer Institute and
American Institute for Cancer Research guidelines of five to nine
servings per day. Grouping plant foods by colour provides
simplification, but it is also important as a method to help consumers
make wise food choices and promote health."
http://www.jpgmonline.com/article.a...sue=2;spage=145;epage=149;aulast=Heber;type=0

cguttman, the above link tells something.

"Kumar" <[email protected]> schrieb im Newsbeitrag
news:[email protected]...
> Hello,
>
> "By eating a variety of colorful fruits and vegetables - green,
> yellow-orange, red, blue-purple, and white - you're giving your body
> a wide range of nutrients that are important for good health. Each
> color offers something unique, like different vitamins, minerals, and
> disease-fighting phytochemicals, that work together to protect your
> health. Only fruits and vegetables, not pills or supplements, can give
> you these nutrients in the healthy combinations nature intended. Here
> are some examples:
> http://www.5aday.gov/color/ "
>
> We have scientific understandings that different colored fruits can
> effect differently anh have different nutrients which may be common as
> per color. Can you tell me that:-
>
> 1, Whether fruits of different colours only give differenciating
> effects or all other foods and other substances can all effect
> differently & specifically by their colors?
>
> 2. Which colour is countable in this respect--of skin, of flesh, of
> pulp, of plant, of seeds, of juice, of processed food or otherwise?
>
> 3. Can different colored fruits be different smell/flavour or taste
> specific?
>
> 4. What can be the science of "colours producing specific effects" as
> per their colors?
>
> 5. Whether "Color Therapies" as indicated in CAMs can be scientific in
> this sense?
>
> 6. How colors can be related to cardiology, diabetology and immunology?
>
> Best wishes.

I didn't read the link you gave, but the thing behind the advice to eat "as
colorful a food as you can" is:
The most colorful foods are vegetables - if you eat more vegetables and vary
a lot between different kinds, chances are, you get all the nutrients you
need since every food has different properties.

MMu wrote:
> "Kumar" <[email protected]> schrieb im Newsbeitrag
> news:[email protected]...
> > Hello,
> >
> > "By eating a variety of colorful fruits and vegetables - green,
> > yellow-orange, red, blue-purple, and white - you're giving your body
> > a wide range of nutrients that are important for good health. Each
> > color offers something unique, like different vitamins, minerals, and
> > disease-fighting phytochemicals, that work together to protect your
> > health. Only fruits and vegetables, not pills or supplements, can give
> > you these nutrients in the healthy combinations nature intended. Here
> > are some examples:
> > http://www.5aday.gov/color/ "
> >
> > We have scientific understandings that different colored fruits can
> > effect differently anh have different nutrients which may be common as
> > per color. Can you tell me that:-
> >
> > 1, Whether fruits of different colours only give differenciating
> > effects or all other foods and other substances can all effect
> > differently & specifically by their colors?
> >
> > 2. Which colour is countable in this respect--of skin, of flesh, of
> > pulp, of plant, of seeds, of juice, of processed food or otherwise?
> >
> > 3. Can different colored fruits be different smell/flavour or taste
> > specific?
> >
> > 4. What can be the science of "colours producing specific effects" as
> > per their colors?
> >
> > 5. Whether "Color Therapies" as indicated in CAMs can be scientific in
> > this sense?
> >
> > 6. How colors can be related to cardiology, diabetology and immunology?
> >
> > Best wishes.
> >

> I didn't read the link you gave, but the thing behind the advice to eat "as
> colorful a food as you can" is:
> The most colorful foods are vegetables - if you eat more vegetables and vary
> a lot between different kinds, chances are, you get all the nutrients you
> need since every food has different properties.

Yes that can be correct, but can't colours effect food's constituents
and nutrients in them? Looking bit scientifically;

Different foods can be genetically predisposed to get certain nd
specific constituents. Different coloured objects reflect those
wavelengeths specific to their colours on exposure to light/sun-light
and absorb other wave lengths. Can't such absorptions and
reflections(energies) cause specific form/constitution of those objects
specific to their genetically predisposed colours?

Try a juice called acai. It's much much better than wine etc for color.
I get mine at the health produce store.
It's also high in Omega 3, 6, and 9. Acai is a small berry grown in
Brazil.

Christopher Lusardi
Lost 110 lbs, 100 8 1/2 years ago

On 30 Jan 2006 07:00:49 -0800, [email protected] wrote:

>Try a juice called acai. It's much much better than wine etc for color.
>I get mine at the health produce store.
>It's also high in Omega 3, 6, and 9. Acai is a small berry grown in
>Brazil.

I buy it at Whole Foods. Another thing about Acai: ORAC is through the
roof!

Just Cocky wrote:
> On 30 Jan 2006 07:00:49 -0800, [email protected] wrote:
> I buy it at Whole Foods. Another thing about Acai: ORAC is through the
> roof!

There is suppose to be a better acai pulp product around but I can't
find it where I live.

Christopher Lusardi

Just Cocky wrote:
> This is what I buy at Whole Foods:
> http://www.sambazon.com/shop/10Expand.asp?ProductCode=sam-ap

That may be the only juice form available. The taste does have a hint
of chocolate. I've tried three flavors. The taste is more or less
fruity. I put it in the ice box to keep it fresh which makes the
plastic container expand (the flat bottome becomes curved). That's how
I've gotten it from the store, sometimes.

I learned of Acai from the following book,

Perricone Promise: Look Younger, Live Longer in Three Easy Steps
Nicholas Perricone
ISBN: 044650016X
Format: Hardcover, 320 pp
Pub. Date: October 2004
Publisher: Warner Books, Incorporated

The author recommends Acai in his list of ten things to do to live a
better life!

Christopher Lusardi

Just Cocky wrote:
> On 30 Jan 2006 10:10:40 -0800, [email protected] wrote:
> >
> >Just Cocky wrote:
> >> This is what I buy at Whole Foods:
> >> http://www.sambazon.com/shop/10Expand.asp?ProductCode=sam-ap

> >That may be the only juice form available.
> >

> Jiuce? It's the pulp...
>

> >The taste does have a hint of chocolate.
> >

> No, it doesn't...
>

> >I've tried three flavors.
> >

> I don't think we are talking about the same thing...

(I was happy that I found more info on Acai.)

Anyway, I was trying to add information to the general discussion. I
had access to juice so I posted information about the juice. I was, in
part, concerned with the Internet as being a storage place of
information for the future. To me any Acai information may equate to a
good thing because people may find my posting in the future and be glad
about what they find.

Continuing, the juice has to shaken up just like a lot of other things.
The juice is thick. But, I have never tried the pulp, and you the post
me that opportunity.

Consequently, I have to wait till it comes to my house before I decide
to buy any more. For example, the pulp may not be easy to make a juice
out of, and I might get stuck eating pulp.

How do you prepare your pulp?

Again many thanks,
Chris Lusardi

On 30 Jan 2006 11:10:23 -0800, [email protected] wrote:

>How do you prepare your pulp?

I use the traditional Brazilian recipe:

Mix 8 oz. of frozen Acai pulp with half a banana and a tablespoon of
honey in a blender. Pour into a small bowl and add a little bit of
granola on top with the other half of the banana sliced.

I also add 20g or so of whey protein for a more balanced meal.

Tastes great!

Just Cocky wrote:
> On 30 Jan 2006 11:10:23 -0800, [email protected] wrote:
> >
> >How do you prepare your pulp?
> >

> I use the traditional Brazilian recipe:
>
> Mix 8 oz. of frozen Acai pulp with half a banana and a tablespoon of
> honey in a blender. Pour into a small bowl and add a little bit of
> granola on top with the other half of the banana sliced.
>
> I also add 20g or so of whey protein for a more balanced meal.
>
> Tastes great!

Well, I'm a semi-raw-vegetarian, so honey, granola, whey protein are no
no's for me, thinking repeated eatings. I've got enough to play with.

Thank you,
Chris

On 30 Jan 2006 11:35:03 -0800, [email protected] wrote:

>Just Cocky wrote:
>> On 30 Jan 2006 11:10:23 -0800, [email protected] wrote:
>> >
>> >How do you prepare your pulp?
>> >

>> I use the traditional Brazilian recipe:
>>
>> Mix 8 oz. of frozen Acai pulp with half a banana and a tablespoon of
>> honey in a blender. Pour into a small bowl and add a little bit of
>> granola on top with the other half of the banana sliced.
>>
>> I also add 20g or so of whey protein for a more balanced meal.
>>
>> Tastes great!

>Well, I'm a semi-raw-vegetarian, so honey, granola, whey protein are no
>no's for me, thinking repeated eatings. I've got enough to play with.

If you are a strict vegetarian (vegan), I understand why you wouldn't
want whey protein (comes from milk) but honey and granola I don't
get...

Just Cocky wrote:
> [email protected] wrote:
>
> >Well, I'm a semi-raw-vegetarian, so honey, granola, whey protein are no
> >no's for me, thinking repeated eatings. I've got enough to play with.

> If you are a strict vegetarian (vegan), I understand why you wouldn't
> want whey protein (comes from milk) but honey

The usual way to get honey is to kill a hive of bees, so I get why
honey might be a problem for vegitarians.

> and granola I don't get...

Made with honey? Else I don't get it either.

In article <[email protected]>,
"Doug Freyburger" <[email protected]> wrote:

> Just Cocky wrote:
> > [email protected] wrote:
> >
> > >Well, I'm a semi-raw-vegetarian, so honey, granola, whey protein are no
> > >no's for me, thinking repeated eatings. I've got enough to play with.

> > If you are a strict vegetarian (vegan), I understand why you wouldn't
> > want whey protein (comes from milk) but honey

> The usual way to get honey is to kill a hive of bees, so I get why
> honey might be a problem for vegitarians.

Uh, no, modern honey production does NOT kill the bees.
A properly managed bee hive makes far more honey than the bees can use!
Enough is always left for their consumption.

I'd suggest you read up on apiology

> > and granola I don't get...

> Made with honey? Else I don't get it either.

Some people are idiots?

--
Om.

"My mother never saw the irony in calling me a son-of-a-*****." -Jack Nicholson