Color of Foods?

Discussion in 'Food and nutrition' started by Kumar, Jan 29, 2006.

  1. Kumar

    Kumar Guest

    Hello,

    "By eating a variety of colorful fruits and vegetables - green,
    yellow-orange, red, blue-purple, and white - you're giving your body
    a wide range of nutrients that are important for good health. Each
    color offers something unique, like different vitamins, minerals, and
    disease-fighting phytochemicals, that work together to protect your
    health. Only fruits and vegetables, not pills or supplements, can give
    you these nutrients in the healthy combinations nature intended. Here
    are some examples:
    http://www.5aday.gov/color/ "

    We have scientific understandings that different colored fruits can
    effect differently anh have different nutrients which may be common as
    per color. Can you tell me that:-

    1, Whether fruits of different colours only give differenciating
    effects or all other foods and other substances can all effect
    differently & specifically by their colors?

    2. Which colour is countable in this respect--of skin, of flesh, of
    pulp, of plant, of seeds, of juice, of processed food or otherwise?

    3. Can different colored fruits be different smell/flavour or taste
    specific?

    4. What can be the science of "colours producing specific effects" as
    per their colors?

    5. Whether "Color Therapies" as indicated in CAMs can be scientific in
    this sense?

    6. How colors can be related to cardiology, diabetology and immunology?

    Best wishes.

    Tags:

  2. cguttman

    cguttman Guest

    I think the information under the link that you sent is misleading -
    this webpage does not contain a new theory of fruit colours.

    You said "We have a scientific understanding that different colored
    fruits can effect differently and have different nutrients which may be
    common as per color." Where does this science come from? If it is
    science, what is the theory then? The link that you provided does not
    provide a theory of fruit colours.

    Chris

    Kumar wrote:
    > Hello,
    >
    > "By eating a variety of colorful fruits and vegetables - green,
    > yellow-orange, red, blue-purple, and white - you're giving your body
    > a wide range of nutrients that are important for good health. Each
    > color offers something unique, like different vitamins, minerals, and
    > disease-fighting phytochemicals, that work together to protect your
    > health. Only fruits and vegetables, not pills or supplements, can give
    > you these nutrients in the healthy combinations nature intended. Here
    > are some examples:
    > http://www.5aday.gov/color/ "
    >
    > We have scientific understandings that different colored fruits can
    > effect differently anh have different nutrients which may be common as
    > per color. Can you tell me that:-
    >
    > 1, Whether fruits of different colours only give differenciating
    > effects or all other foods and other substances can all effect
    > differently & specifically by their colors?
    >
    > 2. Which colour is countable in this respect--of skin, of flesh, of
    > pulp, of plant, of seeds, of juice, of processed food or otherwise?
    >
    > 3. Can different colored fruits be different smell/flavour or taste
    > specific?
    >
    > 4. What can be the science of "colours producing specific effects" as
    > per their colors?
    >
    > 5. Whether "Color Therapies" as indicated in CAMs can be scientific in
    > this sense?
    >
    > 6. How colors can be related to cardiology, diabetology and immunology?
    >
    > Best wishes.

  3. kumar

    kumar Guest

    cguttman wrote:
    > I think the information under the link that you sent is misleading -
    > this webpage does not contain a new theory of fruit colours.

    What is new theory of fruit colours?

    > You said "We have a scientific understanding that different colored
    > fruits can effect differently and have different nutrients which may be
    > common as per color." Where does this science come from? If it is
    > science, what is the theory then? The link that you provided does not
    > provide a theory of fruit colours. Anyway, i am also interested to know its technicals as per my question #4.
    >
    > Chris

    When doctors commonly advice to eat fruits as per colours and presence
    of different nutriens, vitamins..in different colour fruits, is not a
    scientific understanding? You may not like links of "color therapies"
    as CAM...so not mentioning.
    > Kumar wrote:
    > > Hello,
    > >
    > > "By eating a variety of colorful fruits and vegetables - green,
    > > yellow-orange, red, blue-purple, and white - you're giving your body
    > > a wide range of nutrients that are important for good health. Each
    > > color offers something unique, like different vitamins, minerals, and
    > > disease-fighting phytochemicals, that work together to protect your
    > > health. Only fruits and vegetables, not pills or supplements, can give
    > > you these nutrients in the healthy combinations nature intended. Here
    > > are some examples:
    > > http://www.5aday.gov/color/ "
    > >
    > > We have scientific understandings that different colored fruits can
    > > effect differently anh have different nutrients which may be common as
    > > per color. Can you tell me that:-
    > >
    > > 1, Whether fruits of different colours only give differenciating
    > > effects or all other foods and other substances can all effect
    > > differently & specifically by their colors?
    > >
    > > 2. Which colour is countable in this respect--of skin, of flesh, of
    > > pulp, of plant, of seeds, of juice, of processed food or otherwise?
    > >
    > > 3. Can different colored fruits be different smell/flavour or taste
    > > specific?
    > >
    > > 4. What can be the science of "colours producing specific effects" as
    > > per their colors?
    > >
    > > 5. Whether "Color Therapies" as indicated in CAMs can be scientific in
    > > this sense?
    > >
    > > 6. How colors can be related to cardiology, diabetology and immunology?
    > >
    > > Best wishes.

  4. Kumar

    Kumar Guest

    "Vegetables, fruits and phytoestrogens in the prevention of diseases

    The intake of 400-600 g/d of fruits and vegetables is associated with
    reduced incidence of many common forms of cancer, and diets rich in
    plant foods are also associated with a reduced risk of heart disease
    and many chronic diseases of ageing. These foods contain phytochemicals
    that have anti-cancer and anti-inflammatory properties which confer
    many health benefits. Many phytochemicals are colourful, and
    recommending a wide array of colourful fruits and vegetables is an easy
    way to communicate increased diversity of intake to the consumer. For
    example, red foods contain lycopene, the pigment in tomatoes, which is
    localized in the prostate gland and may be involved in maintaining
    prostate health, and which has also been linked with a decreased risk
    of cardiovascular disease. Green foods, including broccoli, Brussels
    sprouts and kale, contain glucosinolates which have also been
    associated with a decreased risk of cancer. Garlic and other
    white-green foods in the onion family contain allyl sulphides which may
    inhibit cancer cell growth. Other bioactive substances in green tea and
    soybeans have health benefits as well. Consumers are advised to ingest
    one serving of each of the seven colour groups daily, putting this
    recommendation within the United States National Cancer Institute and
    American Institute for Cancer Research guidelines of five to nine
    servings per day. Grouping plant foods by colour provides
    simplification, but it is also important as a method to help consumers
    make wise food choices and promote health."
    http://www.jpgmonline.com/article.a...sue=2;spage=145;epage=149;aulast=Heber;type=0

    cguttman, the above link tells something.

  5. MMu

    MMu Guest

    "Kumar" <[email protected]> schrieb im Newsbeitrag
    news:[email protected]
    > Hello,
    >
    > "By eating a variety of colorful fruits and vegetables - green,
    > yellow-orange, red, blue-purple, and white - you're giving your body
    > a wide range of nutrients that are important for good health. Each
    > color offers something unique, like different vitamins, minerals, and
    > disease-fighting phytochemicals, that work together to protect your
    > health. Only fruits and vegetables, not pills or supplements, can give
    > you these nutrients in the healthy combinations nature intended. Here
    > are some examples:
    > http://www.5aday.gov/color/ "
    >
    > We have scientific understandings that different colored fruits can
    > effect differently anh have different nutrients which may be common as
    > per color. Can you tell me that:-
    >
    > 1, Whether fruits of different colours only give differenciating
    > effects or all other foods and other substances can all effect
    > differently & specifically by their colors?
    >
    > 2. Which colour is countable in this respect--of skin, of flesh, of
    > pulp, of plant, of seeds, of juice, of processed food or otherwise?
    >
    > 3. Can different colored fruits be different smell/flavour or taste
    > specific?
    >
    > 4. What can be the science of "colours producing specific effects" as
    > per their colors?
    >
    > 5. Whether "Color Therapies" as indicated in CAMs can be scientific in
    > this sense?
    >
    > 6. How colors can be related to cardiology, diabetology and immunology?
    >
    > Best wishes.

    I didn't read the link you gave, but the thing behind the advice to eat "as
    colorful a food as you can" is:
    The most colorful foods are vegetables - if you eat more vegetables and vary
    a lot between different kinds, chances are, you get all the nutrients you
    need since every food has different properties.

  6. MMu

    MMu Guest

    "Kumar" <[email protected]> schrieb im Newsbeitrag
    news:[email protected]
    > Hello,
    >
    > "By eating a variety of colorful fruits and vegetables - green,
    > yellow-orange, red, blue-purple, and white - you're giving your body
    > a wide range of nutrients that are important for good health. Each
    > color offers something unique, like different vitamins, minerals, and
    > disease-fighting phytochemicals, that work together to protect your
    > health. Only fruits and vegetables, not pills or supplements, can give
    > you these nutrients in the healthy combinations nature intended. Here
    > are some examples:
    > http://www.5aday.gov/color/ "
    >
    > We have scientific understandings that different colored fruits can
    > effect differently anh have different nutrients which may be common as
    > per color. Can you tell me that:-
    >
    > 1, Whether fruits of different colours only give differenciating
    > effects or all other foods and other substances can all effect
    > differently & specifically by their colors?
    >
    > 2. Which colour is countable in this respect--of skin, of flesh, of
    > pulp, of plant, of seeds, of juice, of processed food or otherwise?
    >
    > 3. Can different colored fruits be different smell/flavour or taste
    > specific?
    >
    > 4. What can be the science of "colours producing specific effects" as
    > per their colors?
    >
    > 5. Whether "Color Therapies" as indicated in CAMs can be scientific in
    > this sense?
    >
    > 6. How colors can be related to cardiology, diabetology and immunology?
    >
    > Best wishes.

    I didn't read the link you gave, but the thing behind the advice to eat "as
    colorful a food as you can" is:
    The most colorful foods are vegetables - if you eat more vegetables and vary
    a lot between different kinds, chances are, you get all the nutrients you
    need since every food has different properties.

  7. kumar

    kumar Guest

    MMu wrote:
    > "Kumar" <[email protected]> schrieb im Newsbeitrag
    > news:[email protected]
    > > Hello,
    > >
    > > "By eating a variety of colorful fruits and vegetables - green,
    > > yellow-orange, red, blue-purple, and white - you're giving your body
    > > a wide range of nutrients that are important for good health. Each
    > > color offers something unique, like different vitamins, minerals, and
    > > disease-fighting phytochemicals, that work together to protect your
    > > health. Only fruits and vegetables, not pills or supplements, can give
    > > you these nutrients in the healthy combinations nature intended. Here
    > > are some examples:
    > > http://www.5aday.gov/color/ "
    > >
    > > We have scientific understandings that different colored fruits can
    > > effect differently anh have different nutrients which may be common as
    > > per color. Can you tell me that:-
    > >
    > > 1, Whether fruits of different colours only give differenciating
    > > effects or all other foods and other substances can all effect
    > > differently & specifically by their colors?
    > >
    > > 2. Which colour is countable in this respect--of skin, of flesh, of
    > > pulp, of plant, of seeds, of juice, of processed food or otherwise?
    > >
    > > 3. Can different colored fruits be different smell/flavour or taste
    > > specific?
    > >
    > > 4. What can be the science of "colours producing specific effects" as
    > > per their colors?
    > >
    > > 5. Whether "Color Therapies" as indicated in CAMs can be scientific in
    > > this sense?
    > >
    > > 6. How colors can be related to cardiology, diabetology and immunology?
    > >
    > > Best wishes.
    > >

    > I didn't read the link you gave, but the thing behind the advice to eat "as
    > colorful a food as you can" is:
    > The most colorful foods are vegetables - if you eat more vegetables and vary
    > a lot between different kinds, chances are, you get all the nutrients you
    > need since every food has different properties.

    Yes that can be correct, but can't colours effect food's constituents
    and nutrients in them? Looking bit scientifically;

    Different foods can be genetically predisposed to get certain nd
    specific constituents. Different coloured objects reflect those
    wavelengeths specific to their colours on exposure to light/sun-light
    and absorb other wave lengths. Can't such absorptions and
    reflections(energies) cause specific form/constitution of those objects
    specific to their genetically predisposed colours?

  8. Try a juice called acai. It's much much better than wine etc for color.
    I get mine at the health produce store.
    It's also high in Omega 3, 6, and 9. Acai is a small berry grown in
    Brazil.

    Christopher Lusardi
    Lost 110 lbs, 100 8 1/2 years ago

  9. Just Cocky

    Just Cocky Guest

    On 30 Jan 2006 07:00:49 -0800, [email protected] wrote:

    >Try a juice called acai. It's much much better than wine etc for color.
    >I get mine at the health produce store.
    >It's also high in Omega 3, 6, and 9. Acai is a small berry grown in
    >Brazil.

    I buy it at Whole Foods. Another thing about Acai: ORAC is through the
    roof!

  10. Just Cocky wrote:
    > On 30 Jan 2006 07:00:49 -0800, [email protected] wrote:
    > I buy it at Whole Foods. Another thing about Acai: ORAC is through the
    > roof!

    There is suppose to be a better acai pulp product around but I can't
    find it where I live.

    Christopher Lusardi

  11. Just Cocky

    Just Cocky Guest

  12. Just Cocky wrote:
    > This is what I buy at Whole Foods:
    > http://www.sambazon.com/shop/10Expand.asp?ProductCode=sam-ap

    That may be the only juice form available. The taste does have a hint
    of chocolate. I've tried three flavors. The taste is more or less
    fruity. I put it in the ice box to keep it fresh which makes the
    plastic container expand (the flat bottome becomes curved). That's how
    I've gotten it from the store, sometimes.

    I learned of Acai from the following book,

    Perricone Promise: Look Younger, Live Longer in Three Easy Steps
    Nicholas Perricone
    ISBN: 044650016X
    Format: Hardcover, 320 pp
    Pub. Date: October 2004
    Publisher: Warner Books, Incorporated

    The author recommends Acai in his list of ten things to do to live a
    better life!

    Christopher Lusardi

  13. Just Cocky

    Just Cocky Guest

    On 30 Jan 2006 10:10:40 -0800, [email protected] wrote:

    >Just Cocky wrote:
    >> This is what I buy at Whole Foods:
    >> http://www.sambazon.com/shop/10Expand.asp?ProductCode=sam-ap

    >That may be the only juice form available.

    Jiuce? It's the pulp...

    >The taste does have a hint of chocolate.

    No, it doesn't...

    >I've tried three flavors.

    I don't think we are talking about the same thing...

  14. Just Cocky wrote:
    > On 30 Jan 2006 10:10:40 -0800, [email protected] wrote:
    > >
    > >Just Cocky wrote:
    > >> This is what I buy at Whole Foods:
    > >> http://www.sambazon.com/shop/10Expand.asp?ProductCode=sam-ap

    > >That may be the only juice form available.
    > >

    > Jiuce? It's the pulp...
    >

    > >The taste does have a hint of chocolate.
    > >

    > No, it doesn't...
    >

    > >I've tried three flavors.
    > >

    > I don't think we are talking about the same thing...

    (I was happy that I found more info on Acai.)

    Anyway, I was trying to add information to the general discussion. I
    had access to juice so I posted information about the juice. I was, in
    part, concerned with the Internet as being a storage place of
    information for the future. To me any Acai information may equate to a
    good thing because people may find my posting in the future and be glad
    about what they find.

    Continuing, the juice has to shaken up just like a lot of other things.
    The juice is thick. But, I have never tried the pulp, and you the post
    me that opportunity.

    Consequently, I have to wait till it comes to my house before I decide
    to buy any more. For example, the pulp may not be easy to make a juice
    out of, and I might get stuck eating pulp.

    How do you prepare your pulp?

    Again many thanks,
    Chris Lusardi

  15. Just Cocky

    Just Cocky Guest

    On 30 Jan 2006 11:10:23 -0800, [email protected] wrote:

    >How do you prepare your pulp?

    I use the traditional Brazilian recipe:

    Mix 8 oz. of frozen Acai pulp with half a banana and a tablespoon of
    honey in a blender. Pour into a small bowl and add a little bit of
    granola on top with the other half of the banana sliced.

    I also add 20g or so of whey protein for a more balanced meal.

    Tastes great!

  16. Just Cocky wrote:
    > On 30 Jan 2006 11:10:23 -0800, [email protected] wrote:
    > >
    > >How do you prepare your pulp?
    > >

    > I use the traditional Brazilian recipe:
    >
    > Mix 8 oz. of frozen Acai pulp with half a banana and a tablespoon of
    > honey in a blender. Pour into a small bowl and add a little bit of
    > granola on top with the other half of the banana sliced.
    >
    > I also add 20g or so of whey protein for a more balanced meal.
    >
    > Tastes great!

    Well, I'm a semi-raw-vegetarian, so honey, granola, whey protein are no
    no's for me, thinking repeated eatings. I've got enough to play with.

    Thank you,
    Chris

  17. Just Cocky

    Just Cocky Guest

    On 30 Jan 2006 11:35:03 -0800, [email protected] wrote:

    >Just Cocky wrote:
    >> On 30 Jan 2006 11:10:23 -0800, [email protected] wrote:
    >> >
    >> >How do you prepare your pulp?
    >> >

    >> I use the traditional Brazilian recipe:
    >>
    >> Mix 8 oz. of frozen Acai pulp with half a banana and a tablespoon of
    >> honey in a blender. Pour into a small bowl and add a little bit of
    >> granola on top with the other half of the banana sliced.
    >>
    >> I also add 20g or so of whey protein for a more balanced meal.
    >>
    >> Tastes great!

    >Well, I'm a semi-raw-vegetarian, so honey, granola, whey protein are no
    >no's for me, thinking repeated eatings. I've got enough to play with.

    If you are a strict vegetarian (vegan), I understand why you wouldn't
    want whey protein (comes from milk) but honey and granola I don't
    get...

  18. Just Cocky wrote:
    > [email protected] wrote:
    >
    > >Well, I'm a semi-raw-vegetarian, so honey, granola, whey protein are no
    > >no's for me, thinking repeated eatings. I've got enough to play with.

    > If you are a strict vegetarian (vegan), I understand why you wouldn't
    > want whey protein (comes from milk) but honey

    The usual way to get honey is to kill a hive of bees, so I get why
    honey might be a problem for vegitarians.

    > and granola I don't get...

    Made with honey? Else I don't get it either.

  19. In article <[email protected]>,
    "Doug Freyburger" <[email protected]> wrote:

    > Just Cocky wrote:
    > > [email protected] wrote:
    > >
    > > >Well, I'm a semi-raw-vegetarian, so honey, granola, whey protein are no
    > > >no's for me, thinking repeated eatings. I've got enough to play with.

    > > If you are a strict vegetarian (vegan), I understand why you wouldn't
    > > want whey protein (comes from milk) but honey

    > The usual way to get honey is to kill a hive of bees, so I get why
    > honey might be a problem for vegitarians.

    Uh, no, modern honey production does NOT kill the bees.
    A properly managed bee hive makes far more honey than the bees can use!
    Enough is always left for their consumption.

    I'd suggest you read up on apiology

    > > and granola I don't get...

    > Made with honey? Else I don't get it either.

    Some people are idiots?

    --
    Om.