Color of Foods?

OmManiPadmeOmelet wrote:
> In article <[email protected]>,
> "Doug Freyburger" <[email protected]> wrote:
>
> > Just Cocky wrote:

> > > If you are a strict vegetarian (vegan), I understand why you wouldn't
> > > want whey protein (comes from milk) but honey

> > The usual way to get honey is to kill a hive of bees, so I get why
> > honey might be a problem for vegitarians.

> Uh, no, modern honey production does NOT kill the bees.

Mostly right. Harvesting a hive does not kill the bees. Most beekeepers
overwinter their hives. Up here in the north, though, it isn't always
feasible and you could end up with a weakened and disease prone hive by
springtime. So most times they are killed off and new queens ordered
from down south in the spring.

> A properly managed bee hive makes far more honey than the bees can use!
> Enough is always left for their consumption.

True on both points.

> I'd suggest you read up on apiology

Always a fascinating topic.

TC

[email protected] wrote:
> Just Cocky wrote:
> > On 30 Jan 2006 11:10:23 -0800, [email protected] wrote:
> > >
> > >How do you prepare your pulp?
> > >

> > I use the traditional Brazilian recipe:
> >
> > Mix 8 oz. of frozen Acai pulp with half a banana and a tablespoon of
> > honey in a blender. Pour into a small bowl and add a little bit of
> > granola on top with the other half of the banana sliced.
> >
> > I also add 20g or so of whey protein for a more balanced meal.
> >
> > Tastes great!

> Well, I'm a semi-raw-vegetarian, so honey, granola, whey protein are no
> no's for me, thinking repeated eatings. I've got enough to play with.
>
> Thank you,
> Chris

In addition to everything else I'm trying to be low to mid glycemic
index (load) which wouldn't be good for me.

Quote : page 59 of Eating Well for Optimum Health :
I should also say that various naturally occurring forms of sugar
are essentially the same from the point of view of glycemic index. Eat
honey if you like its taste, but it is not better for you than white
sugar. (It's actually worse for the teeth, because its stickiness keeps
it in contact with dental enamel longer.) It may provide some
micronutrients that sugar does not, but it affects blood sugar just
about the same.

End Quote!

In addition to being low glycemic index, I'm also not into whey protein
and granola because it's man made essentially.

Christopher Lusardi

In article <[email protected]>,
"TC" <[email protected]> wrote:

> OmManiPadmeOmelet wrote:
> > In article <[email protected]>,

> > > The usual way to get honey is to kill a hive of bees, so I get why
> > > honey might be a problem for vegitarians.

> > Uh, no, modern honey production does NOT kill the bees.

> Mostly right. Harvesting a hive does not kill the bees. Most beekeepers
> overwinter their hives. Up here in the north, though, it isn't always
> feasible and you could end up with a weakened and disease prone hive by
> springtime. So most times they are killed off and new queens ordered
> from down south in the spring.

That sux.

Good thing I only buy local honey.
It's good for allergy treatment anyway.

> > A properly managed bee hive makes far more honey than the bees can use!
> > Enough is always left for their consumption.

> True on both points.
>

> > I'd suggest you read up on apiology

> Always a fascinating topic.

Isn't it tho'? :)

--

On 30 Jan 2006 15:02:01 -0800, [email protected] wrote:

>[email protected] wrote:
>> Just Cocky wrote:

>> > I use the traditional Brazilian recipe:
>> >
>> > Mix 8 oz. of frozen Acai pulp with half a banana and a tablespoon of
>> > honey in a blender. Pour into a small bowl and add a little bit of
>> > granola on top with the other half of the banana sliced.
>> >
>> > I also add 20g or so of whey protein for a more balanced meal.
>> >
>> > Tastes great!

>> Well, I'm a semi-raw-vegetarian, so honey, granola, whey protein are no
>> no's for me, thinking repeated eatings. I've got enough to play with.
>>
>> Thank you,
>> Chris

>In addition to everything else I'm trying to be low to mid glycemic
>index (load) which wouldn't be good for me.
>
>Quote : page 59 of Eating Well for Optimum Health :
> I should also say that various naturally occurring forms of sugar
>are essentially the same from the point of view of glycemic index. Eat
>honey if you like its taste, but it is not better for you than white
>sugar. (It's actually worse for the teeth, because its stickiness keeps
>it in contact with dental enamel longer.) It may provide some
>micronutrients that sugar does not, but it affects blood sugar just
>about the same.
>
>End Quote!
>
>In addition to being low glycemic index, I'm also not into whey protein
>and granola because it's man made essentially.

From a nutritional point of view, I don't understand why just being
"man made" is necessarily bad. Fish oil, for example, is as "man made"
as whey protein but that doesn't prevent it from being of
extraordinary nutritional value. Regarding whey protein, it's probably
the best protein one can have from a nutritional point of view.

Thanks all, but I may request you to limit your discussions to the
subject of topic..Clour of Foods?

Almost everything I eat is green. At least it's green till I scrape
the mold off....

On 29 Jan 2006 23:35:57 -0800, "Kumar" <[email protected]>
wrote:

>Hello,
>
>"By eating a variety of colorful fruits and vegetables - green,
>yellow-orange, red, blue-purple, and white - you're giving your body
>a wide range of nutrients that are important for good health. Each
>color offers something unique, like different vitamins, minerals, and
>disease-fighting phytochemicals, that work together to protect your
>health. Only fruits and vegetables, not pills or supplements, can give
>you these nutrients in the healthy combinations nature intended. Here
>are some examples:
>http://www.5aday.gov/color/ "
>
>We have scientific understandings that different colored fruits can
>effect differently anh have different nutrients which may be common as
>per color. Can you tell me that:-
>
>1, Whether fruits of different colours only give differenciating
>effects or all other foods and other substances can all effect
>differently & specifically by their colors?
>
>2. Which colour is countable in this respect--of skin, of flesh, of
>pulp, of plant, of seeds, of juice, of processed food or otherwise?
>
>3. Can different colored fruits be different smell/flavour or taste
>specific?
>
>4. What can be the science of "colours producing specific effects" as
>per their colors?
>
>5. Whether "Color Therapies" as indicated in CAMs can be scientific in
>this sense?
>
>6. How colors can be related to cardiology, diabetology and immunology?
>
>Best wishes.

Can't different people be having craving to eat foods of different
color as you may be having for green?
blank@blank.___ wrote:
> Almost everything I eat is green. At least it's green till I scrape
> the mold off....
>

> On 29 Jan 2006 23:35:57 -0800, "Kumar" <[email protected]>
> wrote:
>
> >Hello,
> >
> >"By eating a variety of colorful fruits and vegetables - green,
> >yellow-orange, red, blue-purple, and white - you're giving your body
> >a wide range of nutrients that are important for good health. Each
> >color offers something unique, like different vitamins, minerals, and
> >disease-fighting phytochemicals, that work together to protect your
> >health. Only fruits and vegetables, not pills or supplements, can give
> >you these nutrients in the healthy combinations nature intended. Here
> >are some examples:
> >http://www.5aday.gov/color/ "
> >
> >We have scientific understandings that different colored fruits can
> >effect differently anh have different nutrients which may be common as
> >per color. Can you tell me that:-
> >
> >1, Whether fruits of different colours only give differenciating
> >effects or all other foods and other substances can all effect
> >differently & specifically by their colors?
> >
> >2. Which colour is countable in this respect--of skin, of flesh, of
> >pulp, of plant, of seeds, of juice, of processed food or otherwise?
> >
> >3. Can different colored fruits be different smell/flavour or taste
> >specific?
> >
> >4. What can be the science of "colours producing specific effects" as
> >per their colors?
> >
> >5. Whether "Color Therapies" as indicated in CAMs can be scientific in
> >this sense?
> >
> >6. How colors can be related to cardiology, diabetology and immunology?
> >
> >Best wishes.

Can't different people be having craving/liking or predispositions to
blank@blank.___ wrote:
> Almost everything I eat is green. At least it's green till I scrape
> the mold off....
>

> On 29 Jan 2006 23:35:57 -0800, "Kumar" <[email protected]>
> wrote:
>
> >Hello,
> >
> >"By eating a variety of colorful fruits and vegetables - green,
> >yellow-orange, red, blue-purple, and white - you're giving your body
> >a wide range of nutrients that are important for good health. Each
> >color offers something unique, like different vitamins, minerals, and
> >disease-fighting phytochemicals, that work together to protect your
> >health. Only fruits and vegetables, not pills or supplements, can give
> >you these nutrients in the healthy combinations nature intended. Here
> >are some examples:
> >http://www.5aday.gov/color/ "
> >
> >We have scientific understandings that different colored fruits can
> >effect differently anh have different nutrients which may be common as
> >per color. Can you tell me that:-
> >
> >1, Whether fruits of different colours only give differenciating
> >effects or all other foods and other substances can all effect
> >differently & specifically by their colors?
> >
> >2. Which colour is countable in this respect--of skin, of flesh, of
> >pulp, of plant, of seeds, of juice, of processed food or otherwise?
> >
> >3. Can different colored fruits be different smell/flavour or taste
> >specific?
> >
> >4. What can be the science of "colours producing specific effects" as
> >per their colors?
> >
> >5. Whether "Color Therapies" as indicated in CAMs can be scientific in
> >this sense?
> >
> >6. How colors can be related to cardiology, diabetology and immunology?
> >
> >Best wishes.

I have something to add to my earlier argument. First, I'm not
diabetic. Second, Perricone's book says that sugar is pro-inflammatory.
And, inflammation means aging.

Quote from p 11 of Perricone's book:
Diet and Aging: The Sugar Connection
============================
There are many causes of the inflammation -- aging process, but I
believe the primary cause is diet. Foods that we eat can either be
pro-inflammatory ( they provoke an inflammatory response) or
anti-inflammatory (they suppress the inflammatory response).
Pro-inflammatory foods are those that cause a rapid rise in blood
sugar, resulting in the release of insulin into the bloodstream. The
chief culprits in the pro-inflammatory arena are sugar and foods that
quickly convert to sugar ...

Just Cocky wrote:
> On 30 Jan 2006 15:02:01 -0800, [email protected] wrote:
> >
> >[email protected] wrote:

> >> Well, I'm a semi-raw-vegetarian, so honey, granola, whey protein are no
> >> no's for me, thinking repeated eatings. I've got enough to play with.
> >>
> >> Thank you,
> >> Chris

> >In addition to everything else I'm trying to be low to mid glycemic
> >index (load) which wouldn't be good for me.
> >
> >Quote : page 59 of Eating Well for Optimum Health :
> > I should also say that various naturally occurring forms of sugar
> >are essentially the same from the point of view of glycemic index. Eat
> >honey if you like its taste, but it is not better for you than white
> >sugar. (It's actually worse for the teeth, because its stickiness keeps
> >it in contact with dental enamel longer.) It may provide some
> >micronutrients that sugar does not, but it affects blood sugar just
> >about the same.
> >
> >End Quote!
> >
> >In addition to being low glycemic index, I'm also not into whey protein
> >and granola because it's man made essentially.
> >

> From a nutritional point of view, I don't understand why just being
> "man made" is necessarily bad. Fish oil, for example, is as "man made"
> as whey protein but that doesn't prevent it from being of
> extraordinary nutritional value. Regarding whey protein, it's probably
> the best protein one can have from a nutritional point of view.

O'kay, here's my argument! read the nutritional label on back of the
package. What does it say. Is it worth that good taste! But, couldn't
you just take a supplement and achieve much more without all the empty
calories. What are the ingredients? Some of them such as the
preservatives are probably bad for us.

If you want to hear about my hobby (diet etc) then you might want to
read the book: Fantastic Voyage by Ray Kurzweil and Terry Grossman.
Yea, I'm trying their high ph water!

Personally, I'm semi-vegetarian etc so that means occassionaly I would
eat your bars.

I get most of my protein from baked tofu (tastes great), beans, and a
little from supplements (amino acids).

Juicing is good because your body doesn't have to work (it can do other
things instead) and the juice gets right into the blood.

Will do anything to live better,
Christopher Lusardi

[email protected] wrote:
> I have something to add to my earlier argument. First, I'm not
> diabetic. Second, Perricone's book says that sugar is pro-inflammatory.
> And, inflammation means aging.
>
> Quote from p 11 of Perricone's book:
> Diet and Aging: The Sugar Connection
> ============================
> There are many causes of the inflammation -- aging process, but I
> believe the primary cause is diet. Foods that we eat can either be
> pro-inflammatory ( they provoke an inflammatory response) or
> anti-inflammatory (they suppress the inflammatory response).
> Pro-inflammatory foods are those that cause a rapid rise in blood
> sugar, resulting in the release of insulin into the bloodstream. The
> chief culprits in the pro-inflammatory arena are sugar and foods that
> quickly convert to sugar ...

I am discussing this issue in another topic.."Insulin Related?"
Something is:-

Various disease states make the body tissues more resistant to the
actions of insulin. Example include infection (TNFa) and acidosis.
Recent research involves the relative roles of adipokines (the
cytokines produced by adipose tissue) in modifying insulin resistance
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Insulin_resistance "

Glucose requirements may be more in case of getting infections and
inflammations. Infections and greater adiposity trigger inflammatory

infections.

Can't such inflammatory responses treat greater adiposity, infections
etc. naturally? In view of this, How far it is correct to lower such
hyperglycemia by medications instead of correcting greater adiposity,
infections or inflammatory responses? Can't such interferances by
medications will not interfere in the natural treatment of these
inflammatory responses? What can be the results of such interferances
by medications? "

On 30 Jan 2006 19:18:53 -0800, [email protected] wrote:

>I have something to add to my earlier argument. First, I'm not
>diabetic. Second, Perricone's book says that sugar is pro-inflammatory.
>And, inflammation means aging.

Sure, I agree.

>Quote from p 11 of Perricone's book:
> Diet and Aging: The Sugar Connection
> ============================
> There are many causes of the inflammation -- aging process, but I
>believe the primary cause is diet. Foods that we eat can either be
>pro-inflammatory ( they provoke an inflammatory response) or
>anti-inflammatory (they suppress the inflammatory response).
>Pro-inflammatory foods are those that cause a rapid rise in blood
>sugar, resulting in the release of insulin into the bloodstream. The
>chief culprits in the pro-inflammatory arena are sugar and foods that
>quickly convert to sugar ...
>
>Just Cocky wrote:

>> >In addition to everything else I'm trying to be low to mid glycemic
>> >index (load) which wouldn't be good for me.
>> >
>> >Quote : page 59 of Eating Well for Optimum Health :
>> > I should also say that various naturally occurring forms of sugar
>> >are essentially the same from the point of view of glycemic index. Eat
>> >honey if you like its taste, but it is not better for you than white
>> >sugar. (It's actually worse for the teeth, because its stickiness keeps
>> >it in contact with dental enamel longer.) It may provide some
>> >micronutrients that sugar does not, but it affects blood sugar just
>> >about the same.
>> >
>> >End Quote!
>> >
>> >In addition to being low glycemic index, I'm also not into whey protein
>> >and granola because it's man made essentially.
>> >

>> From a nutritional point of view, I don't understand why just being
>> "man made" is necessarily bad. Fish oil, for example, is as "man made"
>> as whey protein but that doesn't prevent it from being of
>> extraordinary nutritional value. Regarding whey protein, it's probably
>> the best protein one can have from a nutritional point of view.

>O'kay, here's my argument! read the nutritional label on back of the
>package. What does it say. Is it worth that good taste!

Who said anything about taste?

>But, couldn't you just take a supplement and achieve much more without
>all the empty calories.

Whye protein *IS* a supplement.

>Personally, I'm semi-vegetarian etc so that means occassionaly I would
>eat your bars.

My bars!? You think "whey protein" are bars?

>I get most of my protein from baked tofu (tastes great), beans, and a
>little from supplements (amino acids).

Tofu is not real food. (Thanks, TC!)

>Juicing is good because your body doesn't have to work (it can do other
>things instead) and the juice gets right into the blood.

Fructose is pro-inflamatory too.

Any comments on:-

1.Colour effects by our exposures and interactions to many substances
to which we are directly(naturally and unnaturally) exposed by their
"reflections and emissions" on us?

2.Are we now getting such imbalanced exposures and interations due to
living indoors, modern lifestyle and environment resuting into not
understanding most "unclear causes and healings"?

4. How, not getting exposed to colours of many substances during night
time can effects us alongwith changes in CO2, O2 etc. levels during day
and night?

4. As such, how SUN considered as "God of health" or "health giver" is
correct ?

Well, I can see where you're going with this... (color therapy)

You'll derive much more health benefits from eating that red apple's skin
than by merely staring at it ;-)

Knack wrote:
> Well, I can see where you're going with this... (color therapy)
>
> You'll derive much more health benefits from eating that red apple's skin
> than by merely staring at it ;-)

Allthough no harm in trying to understand logic and science of any
knowledge, but i think colour therapy is related to sun rays healing by
using different colored bottles. My points, I think, are in accordance
with scientic concepts. Pls comments on these.

Post stomach any colored food may have no effect of its colour unless
it is absorbed. Moreover, post stomach, we may have to understand
whether colors can effect or composition changes due to colors changes
can effect?

"Kumar" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
> Hello,
>
> "By eating a variety of colorful fruits and vegetables - green,
> yellow-orange, red, blue-purple, and white - you're giving your
> body
> a wide range of nutrients that are important for good health. Each
> color offers something unique, like different vitamins, minerals,
> and
> disease-fighting phytochemicals, that work together to protect
> your
> health. Only fruits and vegetables, not pills or supplements, can
> give
> you these nutrients in the healthy combinations nature intended.
> Here
> are some examples:
> http://www.5aday.gov/color/ "
>
> We have scientific understandings that different colored fruits
> can
> effect differently anh have different nutrients which may be
> common as

A theory of color that appeals to me (can't remember where I read
it) goes as follows:

Many (most?) of the beneficial phytos come from the protective
outer skin of the plant and are generally defensive in nature.
(example: resveratrol in grape skins probably a fungal defense in
damper climates).
Some of these may have evolved to also perform defensive functions
in humans.

I prefer to think of the metabolism as an artist whose best work is
done with a whole palate of colors (phytos). The artist can get by
for a while with a limited spectrum, but he will not perform
optimally.
This idea may help to explain why clinical evaluations of individual
nutrients have seldom produced consistent health results.Perhaps
seasonal variations in availability could also be a factor, since we
evolved following the seasons.
I personally doubt that you will ever see specific colors associated
with individual diseases. It seems to me that isolating vitamins and
other nutrients in unnatural concentrations is rarely beneficial.

MikeV

MikeV wrote:
> "Kumar" <[email protected]> wrote in message
> news:[email protected]...
> > Hello,
> >
> > "By eating a variety of colorful fruits and vegetables - green,
> > yellow-orange, red, blue-purple, and white - you're giving your
> > body
> > a wide range of nutrients that are important for good health. Each
> > color offers something unique, like different vitamins, minerals,
> > and
> > disease-fighting phytochemicals, that work together to protect
> > your
> > health. Only fruits and vegetables, not pills or supplements, can
> > give
> > you these nutrients in the healthy combinations nature intended.
> > Here
> > are some examples:
> > http://www.5aday.gov/color/ "
> >
> > We have scientific understandings that different colored fruits
> > can
> > effect differently anh have different nutrients which may be
> > common as

> A theory of color that appeals to me (can't remember where I read
> it) goes as follows:
>
> Many (most?) of the beneficial phytos come from the protective
> outer skin of the plant and are generally defensive in nature.
> (example: resveratrol in grape skins probably a fungal defense in
> damper climates).
> Some of these may have evolved to also perform defensive functions
> in humans.
>
> I prefer to think of the metabolism as an artist whose best work is
> done with a whole palate of colors (phytos). The artist can get by
> for a while with a limited spectrum, but he will not perform
> optimally.
> This idea may help to explain why clinical evaluations of individual
> nutrients have seldom produced consistent health results.Perhaps
> seasonal variations in availability could also be a factor, since we
> evolved following the seasons.
> I personally doubt that you will ever see specific colors associated
> with individual diseases. It seems to me that isolating vitamins and
> other nutrients in unnatural concentrations is rarely beneficial.
>
> MikeV

A fruit say tomato is green in colour initially but red when riped. How
its green state is relevant to its ultimate red colour?