Colorado 2,500 Rider Limit Cycling Event Ban - Delayed One Year

wugga

Jul 19, 2005
Thanks to all the folks who contacted the Colorado State Patrol, the initial limit of 2,500 riders for cycling events has been delayed one year. :)

http://csp.state.co.us/press_releases.cfm

The following are the remarks made by Colonel Mark Trostel, Chief of the Colorado State Patrol, in regard to timed special events on Colorado roadways.
Date released: 12/2/2005

“Following a great deal of discussion with my staff and other agencies, I recently made a decision about the maximum number of participants for timed special events on our roadways."

“This decision impacted a few events where participants highly exceeded the cap of 2,500."

“In the spirit of cooperation and problem solving, I have decided to delay the implementation of this cap for a period of 12 months."

“This decision is based on several factors which include creating additional dialogue on special events and the impact on the motoring public, as well as in the communities where they are being held, receiving additional input about early registration time periods for the upcoming 2006 special events’ season, and most importantly the safety of all the entities involved. Building partnerships to create safer use of our highways is everyone’s responsibility."

“We will take this interim period to work with the special event organizers, the motoring public, the community and legislators to create a policy that will ensure the safety of event participants and motorists.

“Our goal is to effectively manage the safety of all such special events with our current resources."

“The top priority for the Colorado State Patrol is highway safety. It is with this mission that we serve our communities and citizens."

“During the next 12 months, we look forward to reinforcing our partnerships with special event organizers and other interested partners. The results of these cooperative efforts will allow us to further evaluate the safety needs of timed special events and create appropriate policy.”