Colorado Bound

Discussion in 'Mountain Bikes' started by Dennis Baker, Apr 1, 2003.

  1. Dennis Baker

    Dennis Baker Guest

    I am typing this from the plane bound for Colorado. I've been wanted to go to Colorado for quite
    some time for the great mountain biking there but unfortunately that's not why I'm going. My dad
    died Sunday Night/ Monday Morning at 1:00 AM so I am flying to Denver and will drive into NE Kansas
    to help make arrangements for his funeral. I usually don't talk about things like this with
    strangers on the net, I guess this is a moment of weekness.

    My Dad: http://brick.ogrehut.com

    Next time you are thinking about donating money to help society think about the American Diabetes
    Society. Millions of people die every year due to diabetes related illnesses and it doesn't get near
    the public attention/ money that AIDs and cancer do.

    I might stick my head in to the group over the next few days but maybe not, I am playing with my new
    'toy' a cellular hookup for my laptop but for some reason it just doesn't give me any pleasure.

    -- The Ogre http://ogrehut.com http://brick.ogrehut.com <--- Bryan Bruce Baker

    Tags:

  2. Sorni

    Sorni Guest

    "Dennis Baker" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]...
    > I am typing this from the plane bound for Colorado. I've been wanted to go to Colorado for quite
    > some time for the great mountain biking there but unfortunately that's not why I'm going. My dad
    > died Sunday Night/ Monday Morning at 1:00 AM so I am flying to Denver and will drive into NE
    > Kansas to help make arrangements for his funeral. I usually don't talk about things like this with
    > strangers on the net, I guess this is a moment of weekness.
    >
    > My Dad: http://brick.ogrehut.com
    >
    > Next time you are thinking about donating money to help society think about the American Diabetes
    > Society. Millions of people die every year due to diabetes related illnesses and it doesn't get
    > near the public attention/ money that AIDs and cancer do.
    >
    > I might stick my head in to the group over the next few days but maybe not, I am playing with my
    > new 'toy' a cellular hookup for my laptop but for some reason it just doesn't give me any
    > pleasure.

    Sincere condolences, Dennis. Consider yourself fortunate to have had such a wonderful Dad, and
    even more so for having had such a wonderful relationship with him! (Some of us have issues in
    this area :)

    Bill "safe trip there and back" S.

  3. Bb

    Bb Guest

    On 1 Apr 2003 11:35:19 -0800, Dennis Baker wrote:
    > My dad died Sunday Night/ Monday Morning at 1:00 AM so I am flying to Denver and will drive into
    > NE Kansas to help make arrangements for his funeral.

    Sorry to hear about your loss. Don't let that long drive across Kansas get you down.

  4. Cinder Girl

    Cinder Girl Guest

    "Dennis Baker" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]...
    > I am typing this from the plane bound for Colorado. I've been wanted to go to Colorado for quite
    > some time for the great mountain biking there but unfortunately that's not why I'm going. My dad
    > died Sunday Night/ Monday Morning at 1:00 AM so I am flying to Denver and will drive into NE
    > Kansas to help make arrangements for his funeral. I usually don't talk about things like this with
    > strangers on the net, I guess this is a moment of weekness.
    >
    > My Dad: http://brick.ogrehut.com
    >
    > Next time you are thinking about donating money to help society think about the American Diabetes
    > Society. Millions of people die every year due to diabetes related illnesses and it doesn't get
    > near the public attention/ money that AIDs and cancer do.
    >
    > I might stick my head in to the group over the next few days but maybe not, I am playing with my
    > new 'toy' a cellular hookup for my laptop but for some reason it just doesn't give me any
    > pleasure.
    >
    > -- The Ogre http://ogrehut.com http://brick.ogrehut.com <--- Bryan Bruce Baker

    I'm very sorry to hear about this. My prayers are with you. We are not strangers anyway, we're your
    fellow mountain bikers and we all know what loss feels like.

    Have you ever participated in the American Diabetes's Association ride? Its a road ride, but I've
    done it two years in a row and its a fun well organized ride as well as a fund raiser. You can find
    some more info here: http://tour.diabetes.org/site/PageServer?pagename=TC_homepage

    Bless you, ~CG

  5. L Hays

    L Hays Guest

    "Dennis Baker" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]...
    > I am typing this from the plane bound for Colorado. I've been wanted to go to Colorado for quite
    > some time for the great mountain biking there but unfortunately that's not why I'm going. My dad
    > died Sunday Night/ Monday Morning at 1:00 AM so I am flying to Denver and will drive into NE
    > Kansas to help make arrangements for his funeral. I usually don't talk about things like this with
    > strangers on the net, I guess this is a moment of weekness.
    >
    > My Dad: http://brick.ogrehut.com
    >
    > Next time you are thinking about donating money to help society think about the American Diabetes
    > Society. Millions of people die every year due to diabetes related illnesses and it doesn't get
    > near the public attention/ money that AIDs and cancer do.
    >
    > I might stick my head in to the group over the next few days but maybe not, I am playing with my
    > new 'toy' a cellular hookup for my laptop but for some reason it just doesn't give me any
    > pleasure.
    >
    > -- The Ogre http://ogrehut.com http://brick.ogrehut.com <--- Bryan Bruce Baker

    My condolences Dennis, it will be a beautiful garden indeed.

    Lance

  6. Dennis, I'm truly sorry to hear about your Dad. Mine died some years ago now, and every time I stand
    on a newly-launched boat I've designed, I see him sitting on the masthead saying things like "How do
    you expect it to sail well with that skinny little keel?" or "Crap, boy - didn't I teach you
    anything?" I guess having a Dad in the same business gives me lots of occasions to find him lurking.
    I hope you can find times to "see" your Dad like this too.

    Steve

  7. Mattb

    Mattb Guest

    "Dennis Baker" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]...
    > I am typing this from the plane bound for Colorado. I've been wanted to go to Colorado for quite
    > some time for the great mountain biking there but unfortunately that's not why I'm going. My dad
    > died Sunday Night/ Monday Morning at 1:00 AM so I am flying to Denver and will drive into NE
    > Kansas to help make arrangements for his funeral. I usually don't talk about things like this with
    > strangers on the net, I guess this is a moment of weekness.
    >
    > My Dad: http://brick.ogrehut.com
    >
    > Next time you are thinking about donating money to help society think about the American Diabetes
    > Society. Millions of people die every year due to diabetes related illnesses and it doesn't get
    > near the public attention/ money that AIDs and cancer do.
    >
    > I might stick my head in to the group over the next few days but maybe not, I am playing with my
    > new 'toy' a cellular hookup for my laptop but for some reason it just doesn't give me any
    > pleasure.

    So sorry to hear that, Dennis. I hope things get better for you and your next trip to Co takes you
    West of the divide for some serious fun.

    Matt

  8. Ctg

    Ctg Guest

    "Dennis Baker" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]...
    > I am typing this from the plane bound for Colorado. I've been wanted to go to Colorado for quite
    > some time for the great mountain biking there but unfortunately that's not why I'm going. My dad
    > died Sunday Night/ Monday Morning at 1:00 AM so I am flying to Denver and will drive into NE
    > Kansas to help make arrangements for his funeral. I usually don't talk about things like this with
    > strangers on the net, I guess this is a moment of weekness.
    >
    > My Dad: http://brick.ogrehut.com
    >
    > Next time you are thinking about donating money to help society think about the American Diabetes
    > Society. Millions of people die every year due to diabetes related illnesses and it doesn't get
    > near the public attention/ money that AIDs and cancer do.
    >
    > I might stick my head in to the group over the next few days but maybe not, I am playing with my
    > new 'toy' a cellular hookup for my laptop but for some reason it just doesn't give me any
    > pleasure.
    >
    > -- The Ogre http://ogrehut.com http://brick.ogrehut.com <--- Bryan Bruce Baker

    Condolences, there are brighter days ahead...
    --
    Chris
    ________________

  9. Trekkie Dad

    Trekkie Dad Guest

    In article <[email protected]>, [email protected] (Dennis
    Baker) wrote:

    > I am typing this from the plane bound for Colorado. I've been wanted to go to Colorado for quite
    > some time for the great mountain biking there but unfortunately that's not why I'm going. My dad
    > died Sunday Night/ Monday Morning at 1:00 AM so I am flying to Denver and will drive into NE
    > Kansas to help make arrangements for his funeral. I usually don't talk about things like this with
    > strangers on the net, I guess this is a moment of weekness.
    >
    > My Dad: http://brick.ogrehut.com
    >
    > Next time you are thinking about donating money to help society think about the American Diabetes
    > Society. Millions of people die every year due to diabetes related illnesses and it doesn't get
    > near the public attention/ money that AIDs and cancer do.
    >
    > I might stick my head in to the group over the next few days but maybe not, I am playing with my
    > new 'toy' a cellular hookup for my laptop but for some reason it just doesn't give me any
    > pleasure.
    >
    > -- The Ogre http://ogrehut.com http://brick.ogrehut.com <--- Bryan Bruce Baker

    If we ever manage to hook up for a ride, I'd like to hear some stories about your dad. My parents
    were divorced when I was five, and I saw my father only about once a year until he died. I had a
    closer relationship with my "Poppa Steve" who married my mother when I was a teen. I chose him to be
    the best man at my wedding. He passed away when my children were young, but at least he got to know
    his granchildren.

    Loss and grief are a part of life, and it's good to have friends around when we are hurting. My
    prayers to you and your family.

    TD

    --
    [email protected] World Without Cars Dictionary of Vandemisms (2001) is available at:
    http://trekkiedad.freeservers.com/wwc.html ICQ# available on request

  10. G.T.

    G.T. Guest

    Dennis Baker wrote:
    > I am typing this from the plane bound for Colorado. I've been wanted to go to Colorado for quite
    > some time for the great mountain biking there but unfortunately that's not why I'm going. My dad
    > died Sunday Night/ Monday Morning at 1:00 AM so I am flying to Denver and will drive into NE
    > Kansas to help make arrangements for his funeral. I usually don't talk about things like this with
    > strangers on the net, I guess this is a moment of weekness.

    I'm very sorry to hear about your loss. Even though most of us are strangers, and there is a
    curmudgeon (me) or two on a.m-b, I think we're all a pretty good community so I know our hearts
    are with you.

    > My Dad: http://brick.ogrehut.com
    >
    > Next time you are thinking about donating money to help society think about the American Diabetes
    > Society. Millions of people die every year due to diabetes related illnesses and it doesn't get
    > near the public attention/ money that AIDs and cancer do.

    Will do, I pick one or two charities every month to donate to and I have yet to donate to the
    American Diabetes Society.

    Take care, Greg

  11. Cleanbean

    Cleanbean Guest

    Dennis,

    Condolences on your day of mourning. I hear ya on the diabetes.

    Clean "diabetic II since '96" Bean

  12. Reco Diver

    Reco Diver Guest

    [email protected] (Dennis Baker) wrote in message
    news:<[email protected]>...
    > I am typing this from the plane bound for Colorado. I've been wanted to go to Colorado for quite
    > some time for the great mountain biking there but unfortunately that's not why I'm going. My dad
    > died Sunday Night/ Monday Morning at 1:00 AM so I am flying to Denver and will drive into NE
    > Kansas to help make arrangements for his funeral. I usually don't talk about things like this with
    > strangers on the net, I guess this is a moment of weekness.

    My deepest condolences.

    > My Dad: http://brick.ogrehut.com
    >
    > Next time you are thinking about donating money to help society think about the American Diabetes
    > Society. Millions of people die every year due to diabetes related illnesses and it doesn't get
    > near the public attention/ money that AIDs and cancer do.

    Lost my brother to diabetes related illness December 27 of last year. He was 37. Too many ppl think
    that insulin is a cure ... it isn't even a very good stop gap.

    Reco

  13. Paladin

    Paladin Guest

    [email protected] (Dennis Baker) wrote in message
    news:<[email protected]>...
    > I am typing this from the plane bound for Colorado. I've been wanted to go to Colorado for quite
    > some time for the great mountain biking there but unfortunately that's not why I'm going. My dad
    > died Sunday Night/ Monday Morning at 1:00 AM so I am flying to Denver and will drive into NE
    > Kansas to help make arrangements for his funeral. I usually don't talk about things like this with
    > strangers on the net, I guess this is a moment of weekness.
    >
    > My Dad: http://brick.ogrehut.com
    >
    > Next time you are thinking about donating money to help society think about the American Diabetes
    > Society. Millions of people die every year due to diabetes related illnesses and it doesn't get
    > near the public attention/ money that AIDs and cancer do.
    >
    > I might stick my head in to the group over the next few days but maybe not, I am playing with my
    > new 'toy' a cellular hookup for my laptop but for some reason it just doesn't give me any
    > pleasure.
    >
    > -- The Ogre http://ogrehut.com http://brick.ogrehut.com <--- Bryan Bruce Baker

    I'm very sorry for the loss of your dad. That site was a moving tribute to him, though. Blessings to
    you and the rest of your family in getting through this terrible time. A good reminder to us all to
    remember what ultimately matters and to cherish the time we have together.

    Paladin

  14. Dennis Baker

    Dennis Baker Guest

    "Cinder Girl" <[email protected]> wrote in message

    > Have you ever participated in the American Diabetes's Association ride? Its a road ride, but I've
    > done it two years in a row and its a fun well organized ride as well as a fund raiser. You can
    > find some more info here: http://tour.diabetes.org/site/PageServer?pagename=TC_homepage

    I wanted to thank everybody who wrote to give condolences and sympathy. This suggestion is a great
    idea and I looked on their site. It looks like they have three rides in my area, Napa, Sacramento,
    and San Joaquin County. I will be certain to participate in at least one of the rides and will try
    to participate in all three. If anyone else wants to hook up for a Metric Century perhaps we can
    have an AMB contigent.

    TD - I would love to hook up with you soon and I will tell you all about my dad, he was a great guy.

    GT - thank you from the bottom of my heart.

    Again, Thank you all, and thanks to those who didn't reply but tolerated my OT thread.

    -- The Ogre http://ogrehut.com

  15. Trekkie Dad

    Baker) wrote:

    > "Cinder Girl" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    >
    > > Have you ever participated in the American Diabetes's Association ride? Its a road ride, but
    > > I've done it two years in a row and its a fun well organized ride as well as a fund raiser. You
    > > can find some more info here: http://tour.diabetes.org/site/PageServer?pagename=TC_homepage
    >
    > I wanted to thank everybody who wrote to give condolences and sympathy. This suggestion is a great
    > idea and I looked on their site. It looks like they have three rides in my area, Napa, Sacramento,
    > and San Joaquin County. I will be certain to participate in at least one of the rides and will try
    > to participate in all three. If anyone else wants to hook up for a Metric Century perhaps we can
    > have an AMB contigent.
    >
    > TD - I would love to hook up with you soon and I will tell you all about my dad, he was a
    > great guy.
    >
    > GT - thank you from the bottom of my heart.
    >
    > Again, Thank you all, and thanks to those who didn't reply but tolerated my OT thread.
    >
    > -- The Ogre http://ogrehut.com

    Dennis:

    I just did a metric century--the Party Pardee--last Saturday, and I had no one to ride with. Had a
    good time, though, and finished the 65 miler in just over 5 hours, breaks and all.

    TD about 4.25 hours if you subtract the breaks