Colorado Bound

Dennis Baker

Guest
I am typing this from the plane bound for Colorado. I've been wanted to go to Colorado for quite
some time for the great mountain biking there but unfortunately that's not why I'm going. My dad
died Sunday Night/ Monday Morning at 1:00 AM so I am flying to Denver and will drive into NE Kansas
to help make arrangements for his funeral. I usually don't talk about things like this with
strangers on the net, I guess this is a moment of weekness.

My Dad: http://brick.ogrehut.com

Next time you are thinking about donating money to help society think about the American Diabetes
Society. Millions of people die every year due to diabetes related illnesses and it doesn't get near
the public attention/ money that AIDs and cancer do.

I might stick my head in to the group over the next few days but maybe not, I am playing with my new
'toy' a cellular hookup for my laptop but for some reason it just doesn't give me any pleasure.

-- The Ogre http://ogrehut.com http://brick.ogrehut.com <--- Bryan Bruce Baker

"Dennis Baker" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
> I am typing this from the plane bound for Colorado. I've been wanted to go to Colorado for quite
> some time for the great mountain biking there but unfortunately that's not why I'm going. My dad
> died Sunday Night/ Monday Morning at 1:00 AM so I am flying to Denver and will drive into NE
> Kansas to help make arrangements for his funeral. I usually don't talk about things like this with
> strangers on the net, I guess this is a moment of weekness.
>
> My Dad: http://brick.ogrehut.com
>
> Next time you are thinking about donating money to help society think about the American Diabetes
> Society. Millions of people die every year due to diabetes related illnesses and it doesn't get
> near the public attention/ money that AIDs and cancer do.
>
> I might stick my head in to the group over the next few days but maybe not, I am playing with my
> new 'toy' a cellular hookup for my laptop but for some reason it just doesn't give me any
> pleasure.

Sincere condolences, Dennis. Consider yourself fortunate to have had such a wonderful Dad, and
even more so for having had such a wonderful relationship with him! (Some of us have issues in
this area :)

Bill "safe trip there and back" S.

On 1 Apr 2003 11:35:19 -0800, Dennis Baker wrote:
> My dad died Sunday Night/ Monday Morning at 1:00 AM so I am flying to Denver and will drive into
> NE Kansas to help make arrangements for his funeral.

Sorry to hear about your loss. Don't let that long drive across Kansas get you down.

"Dennis Baker" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
> I am typing this from the plane bound for Colorado. I've been wanted to go to Colorado for quite
> some time for the great mountain biking there but unfortunately that's not why I'm going. My dad
> died Sunday Night/ Monday Morning at 1:00 AM so I am flying to Denver and will drive into NE
> Kansas to help make arrangements for his funeral. I usually don't talk about things like this with
> strangers on the net, I guess this is a moment of weekness.
>
> My Dad: http://brick.ogrehut.com
>
> Next time you are thinking about donating money to help society think about the American Diabetes
> Society. Millions of people die every year due to diabetes related illnesses and it doesn't get
> near the public attention/ money that AIDs and cancer do.
>
> I might stick my head in to the group over the next few days but maybe not, I am playing with my
> new 'toy' a cellular hookup for my laptop but for some reason it just doesn't give me any
> pleasure.
>
> -- The Ogre http://ogrehut.com http://brick.ogrehut.com <--- Bryan Bruce Baker

I'm very sorry to hear about this. My prayers are with you. We are not strangers anyway, we're your
fellow mountain bikers and we all know what loss feels like.

Have you ever participated in the American Diabetes's Association ride? Its a road ride, but I've
done it two years in a row and its a fun well organized ride as well as a fund raiser. You can find
some more info here: http://tour.diabetes.org/site/PageServer?pagename=TC_homepage

Bless you, ~CG

"Dennis Baker" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
> I am typing this from the plane bound for Colorado. I've been wanted to go to Colorado for quite
> some time for the great mountain biking there but unfortunately that's not why I'm going. My dad
> died Sunday Night/ Monday Morning at 1:00 AM so I am flying to Denver and will drive into NE
> Kansas to help make arrangements for his funeral. I usually don't talk about things like this with
> strangers on the net, I guess this is a moment of weekness.
>
> My Dad: http://brick.ogrehut.com
>
> Next time you are thinking about donating money to help society think about the American Diabetes
> Society. Millions of people die every year due to diabetes related illnesses and it doesn't get
> near the public attention/ money that AIDs and cancer do.
>
> I might stick my head in to the group over the next few days but maybe not, I am playing with my
> new 'toy' a cellular hookup for my laptop but for some reason it just doesn't give me any
> pleasure.
>
> -- The Ogre http://ogrehut.com http://brick.ogrehut.com <--- Bryan Bruce Baker

My condolences Dennis, it will be a beautiful garden indeed.

Lance

Dennis, I'm truly sorry to hear about your Dad. Mine died some years ago now, and every time I stand
on a newly-launched boat I've designed, I see him sitting on the masthead saying things like "How do
you expect it to sail well with that skinny little keel?" or "****, boy - didn't I teach you
anything?" I guess having a Dad in the same business gives me lots of occasions to find him lurking.
I hope you can find times to "see" your Dad like this too.

Steve

"Dennis Baker" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
> I am typing this from the plane bound for Colorado. I've been wanted to go to Colorado for quite
> some time for the great mountain biking there but unfortunately that's not why I'm going. My dad
> died Sunday Night/ Monday Morning at 1:00 AM so I am flying to Denver and will drive into NE
> Kansas to help make arrangements for his funeral. I usually don't talk about things like this with
> strangers on the net, I guess this is a moment of weekness.
>
> My Dad: http://brick.ogrehut.com
>
> Next time you are thinking about donating money to help society think about the American Diabetes
> Society. Millions of people die every year due to diabetes related illnesses and it doesn't get
> near the public attention/ money that AIDs and cancer do.
>
> I might stick my head in to the group over the next few days but maybe not, I am playing with my
> new 'toy' a cellular hookup for my laptop but for some reason it just doesn't give me any
> pleasure.

So sorry to hear that, Dennis. I hope things get better for you and your next trip to Co takes you
West of the divide for some serious fun.

Matt

"Dennis Baker" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
> I am typing this from the plane bound for Colorado. I've been wanted to go to Colorado for quite
> some time for the great mountain biking there but unfortunately that's not why I'm going. My dad
> died Sunday Night/ Monday Morning at 1:00 AM so I am flying to Denver and will drive into NE
> Kansas to help make arrangements for his funeral. I usually don't talk about things like this with
> strangers on the net, I guess this is a moment of weekness.
>
> My Dad: http://brick.ogrehut.com
>
> Next time you are thinking about donating money to help society think about the American Diabetes
> Society. Millions of people die every year due to diabetes related illnesses and it doesn't get
> near the public attention/ money that AIDs and cancer do.
>
> I might stick my head in to the group over the next few days but maybe not, I am playing with my
> new 'toy' a cellular hookup for my laptop but for some reason it just doesn't give me any
> pleasure.
>
> -- The Ogre http://ogrehut.com http://brick.ogrehut.com <--- Bryan Bruce Baker

Condolences, there are brighter days ahead...
--
Chris
________________

In article <[email protected]>, [email protected] (Dennis
Baker) wrote:

> I am typing this from the plane bound for Colorado. I've been wanted to go to Colorado for quite
> some time for the great mountain biking there but unfortunately that's not why I'm going. My dad
> died Sunday Night/ Monday Morning at 1:00 AM so I am flying to Denver and will drive into NE
> Kansas to help make arrangements for his funeral. I usually don't talk about things like this with
> strangers on the net, I guess this is a moment of weekness.
>
> My Dad: http://brick.ogrehut.com
>
> Next time you are thinking about donating money to help society think about the American Diabetes
> Society. Millions of people die every year due to diabetes related illnesses and it doesn't get
> near the public attention/ money that AIDs and cancer do.
>
> I might stick my head in to the group over the next few days but maybe not, I am playing with my
> new 'toy' a cellular hookup for my laptop but for some reason it just doesn't give me any
> pleasure.
>
> -- The Ogre http://ogrehut.com http://brick.ogrehut.com <--- Bryan Bruce Baker

If we ever manage to hook up for a ride, I'd like to hear some stories about your dad. My parents
were divorced when I was five, and I saw my father only about once a year until he died. I had a
closer relationship with my "Poppa Steve" who married my mother when I was a teen. I chose him to be
the best man at my wedding. He passed away when my children were young, but at least he got to know
his granchildren.

Loss and grief are a part of life, and it's good to have friends around when we are hurting. My
prayers to you and your family.

TD

--
[email protected] World Without Cars Dictionary of Vandemisms (2001) is available at:
http://trekkiedad.freeservers.com/wwc.html ICQ# available on request

Dennis Baker wrote:
> I am typing this from the plane bound for Colorado. I've been wanted to go to Colorado for quite
> some time for the great mountain biking there but unfortunately that's not why I'm going. My dad
> died Sunday Night/ Monday Morning at 1:00 AM so I am flying to Denver and will drive into NE
> Kansas to help make arrangements for his funeral. I usually don't talk about things like this with
> strangers on the net, I guess this is a moment of weekness.

I'm very sorry to hear about your loss. Even though most of us are strangers, and there is a
curmudgeon (me) or two on a.m-b, I think we're all a pretty good community so I know our hearts
are with you.

> My Dad: http://brick.ogrehut.com
>
> Next time you are thinking about donating money to help society think about the American Diabetes
> Society. Millions of people die every year due to diabetes related illnesses and it doesn't get
> near the public attention/ money that AIDs and cancer do.

Will do, I pick one or two charities every month to donate to and I have yet to donate to the
American Diabetes Society.

Take care, Greg

Dennis,

Condolences on your day of mourning. I hear ya on the diabetes.

Clean "diabetic II since '96" Bean

[email protected] (Dennis Baker) wrote in message
news:<[email protected]>...
> I am typing this from the plane bound for Colorado. I've been wanted to go to Colorado for quite
> some time for the great mountain biking there but unfortunately that's not why I'm going. My dad
> died Sunday Night/ Monday Morning at 1:00 AM so I am flying to Denver and will drive into NE
> Kansas to help make arrangements for his funeral. I usually don't talk about things like this with
> strangers on the net, I guess this is a moment of weekness.

My deepest condolences.

> My Dad: http://brick.ogrehut.com
>
> Next time you are thinking about donating money to help society think about the American Diabetes
> Society. Millions of people die every year due to diabetes related illnesses and it doesn't get
> near the public attention/ money that AIDs and cancer do.

Lost my brother to diabetes related illness December 27 of last year. He was 37. Too many ppl think
that insulin is a cure ... it isn't even a very good stop gap.

Reco

[email protected] (Dennis Baker) wrote in message
news:<[email protected]>...
> I am typing this from the plane bound for Colorado. I've been wanted to go to Colorado for quite
> some time for the great mountain biking there but unfortunately that's not why I'm going. My dad
> died Sunday Night/ Monday Morning at 1:00 AM so I am flying to Denver and will drive into NE
> Kansas to help make arrangements for his funeral. I usually don't talk about things like this with
> strangers on the net, I guess this is a moment of weekness.
>
> My Dad: http://brick.ogrehut.com
>
> Next time you are thinking about donating money to help society think about the American Diabetes
> Society. Millions of people die every year due to diabetes related illnesses and it doesn't get
> near the public attention/ money that AIDs and cancer do.
>
> I might stick my head in to the group over the next few days but maybe not, I am playing with my
> new 'toy' a cellular hookup for my laptop but for some reason it just doesn't give me any
> pleasure.
>
> -- The Ogre http://ogrehut.com http://brick.ogrehut.com <--- Bryan Bruce Baker

I'm very sorry for the loss of your dad. That site was a moving tribute to him, though. Blessings to
you and the rest of your family in getting through this terrible time. A good reminder to us all to
remember what ultimately matters and to cherish the time we have together.

Paladin

"Cinder Girl" <[email protected]> wrote in message

> Have you ever participated in the American Diabetes's Association ride? Its a road ride, but I've
> done it two years in a row and its a fun well organized ride as well as a fund raiser. You can
> find some more info here: http://tour.diabetes.org/site/PageServer?pagename=TC_homepage

I wanted to thank everybody who wrote to give condolences and sympathy. This suggestion is a great
idea and I looked on their site. It looks like they have three rides in my area, Napa, Sacramento,
and San Joaquin County. I will be certain to participate in at least one of the rides and will try
to participate in all three. If anyone else wants to hook up for a Metric Century perhaps we can
have an AMB contigent.

TD - I would love to hook up with you soon and I will tell you all about my dad, he was a great guy.

GT - thank you from the bottom of my heart.

Again, Thank you all, and thanks to those who didn't reply but tolerated my OT thread.

-- The Ogre http://ogrehut.com

Baker) wrote:

> "Cinder Girl" <[email protected]> wrote in message
>
> > Have you ever participated in the American Diabetes's Association ride? Its a road ride, but
> > I've done it two years in a row and its a fun well organized ride as well as a fund raiser. You
> > can find some more info here: http://tour.diabetes.org/site/PageServer?pagename=TC_homepage
>
> I wanted to thank everybody who wrote to give condolences and sympathy. This suggestion is a great
> idea and I looked on their site. It looks like they have three rides in my area, Napa, Sacramento,
> and San Joaquin County. I will be certain to participate in at least one of the rides and will try
> to participate in all three. If anyone else wants to hook up for a Metric Century perhaps we can
> have an AMB contigent.
>
> TD - I would love to hook up with you soon and I will tell you all about my dad, he was a
> great guy.
>
> GT - thank you from the bottom of my heart.
>
> Again, Thank you all, and thanks to those who didn't reply but tolerated my OT thread.
>
> -- The Ogre http://ogrehut.com

Dennis:

I just did a metric century--the Party Pardee--last Saturday, and I had no one to ride with. Had a
good time, though, and finished the 65 miler in just over 5 hours, breaks and all.

TD about 4.25 hours if you subtract the breaks