Colorado Cyclist Bike Box Problems?

Ciaran

Guest
I recently ordered a bike box from Colrado Cyclist, shipped by UPS. It is the kind that they ship
their bikes in (see link). They sell these as an inexpensive option to ship your own bike instead of
spending $100's on a permanent case. When I received it, it appeared as if someone had tried to rip
it open and/or had been subjected to serious weight compression. There was one fracture of the
external coroplast around the middle that extended for half the exterior, and a second one at the
base along one entire edge. Botton line, the box is not useable for even one shipment.

I have ordered another from Colrado Cyclist, but I am concerned that the same thing will happen.
Since this is for Alactraz, time is short. Has anyone else had similar problems? Should I give
Coroado Cyclist/UPS another shot, or break down and get a permanent box?

Thanks

Ciaran

http://www.coloradocyclist.com/common/products/productdisplay2_v2.cfm?PRRFNBR=18655&S=18655

If you plan on traveling to more races, a good sturdy box is worth the investment. Afterall, you'll
spend big bucks on nice gear, why get cheap insurance (i.e. the box)?

I have a trico ironcase -- love it. about $249 from delta cases.

Wim

"Ciaran" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
> I recently ordered a bike box from Colrado Cyclist, shipped by UPS. It is the kind that they ship
> their bikes in (see link). They sell these as an inexpensive option to ship your own bike instead
> of spending $100's on a permanent case. When I received it, it appeared as if someone had tried to
> rip it open and/or had been subjected to serious weight compression. There was one fracture of the
> external coroplast around the middle that extended for half the exterior, and a second one at the
> base along one entire edge. Botton line, the box is not useable for even one shipment.
>
> I have ordered another from Colrado Cyclist, but I am concerned that the same thing will happen.
> Since this is for Alactraz, time is short. Has anyone else had similar problems? Should I give
> Coroado Cyclist/UPS another shot, or break down and get a permanent box?
>
> Thanks
>
> Ciaran

http://www.coloradocyclist.com/common/products/productdisplay2_v2.cfm?PRRFNB R=18655&S=18655

With few exceptions (that being when I have to break down a box for storage), have I used a
cardboard box (plastic coated or nylon coated) and found it better than a hard case shipping
container.

I thinks it would be better to break down and pay for something that will last and (more
importantly) protect your bike (specially if the container gets wet).

Joe M

"Wim Colgate" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:<[email protected]>...
> If you plan on traveling to more races, a good sturdy box is worth the investment. Afterall,
> you'll spend big bucks on nice gear, why get cheap insurance (i.e. the box)?
>
> I have a trico ironcase -- love it. about $249 from delta cases.
>
> Wim
>
> "Ciaran" <[email protected]> wrote in message
> news:[email protected]...
> > I recently ordered a bike box from Colrado Cyclist, shipped by UPS. It is the kind that they
> > ship their bikes in (see link). They sell these as an inexpensive option to ship your own bike
> > instead of spending $100's on a permanent case. When I received it, it appeared as if someone
> > had tried to rip it open and/or had been subjected to serious weight compression. There was one
> > fracture of the external coroplast around the middle that extended for half the exterior, and a
> > second one at the base along one entire edge. Botton line, the box is not useable for even one
> > shipment.
> >
> > I have ordered another from Colrado Cyclist, but I am concerned that the same thing will happen.
> > Since this is for Alactraz, time is short. Has anyone else had similar problems? Should I give
> > Coroado Cyclist/UPS another shot, or break down and get a permanent box?
> >
> > Thanks
> >
> > Ciaran
> >

> http://www.coloradocyclist.com/common/products/productdisplay2_v2.cfm?PRRFNB R=18655&S=18655

I know pro cyclists who have their bikes shipped in bike boxes--the ones that the manufacturer uses
to ship the bike to the bike shop to begin with. One I know used one box all year long.

I know a few pros who use a case like that from Colorado Cyclists and have not heard any
consistent problems.

I have a BikePro case. Would not trade it for any other. It has wheels and is padded. Been to Europe
a dozen times (a friend uses it as well) and all over the country. Never any damage.