Colorado Cyclist eye candy

Wombatgrrl

Jul 31, 2003
Anyone else out there get the Colorado Cyclist catalog? Anyone else getting sick of their depictions of women riders? Last catalog I even saw cleavage. I wrote to them complaining about it recently, but got no response. If I did, it would likely be something like, "Hey, this catalog is for the boyz, and they need their regular dosage of eye candy!" I know I'm not the only one noticing it - I've heard other women riders mention their disgust. If I'm not alone in this, shall I suggest we wage war in the form 1) boycott 2) e-mail writing campaign

Originally posted by Wombatgrrl
Anyone else out there get the Colorado Cyclist catalog? Anyone else getting sick of their depictions of women riders? Last catalog I even saw cleavage. I wrote to them complaining about it recently, but got no response. If I did, it would likely be something like, "Hey, this catalog is for the boyz, and they need their regular dosage of eye candy!" I know I'm not the only one noticing it - I've heard other women riders mention their disgust. If I'm not alone in this, shall I suggest we wage war in the form 1) boycott 2) e-mail writing campaign

How do you feel about the pix of the guys in the catalog? You know... the ones in the sleeveless jerseys or tank-tops, displaying their body-builder arms and chests? Those guys are no more riders than the top-heavy women you mention.

Personally, neither bothers me to the point of writing to CC, but I would prefer they use models that actually look like cyclists.

I agree with btasquared, would like to see some real cyclist types on the cover. But I think Wombatgrrl is right too. Perhaps we wouldn't have noticed it if it wasn't ALWAYS the x-chromosome eye-candy on the cover. I almost feel like it belittles the sport, maybe even discourages women from trying it out.

Originally posted by btasquared
How do you feel about the pix of the guys in the catalog? You know... the ones in the sleeveless jerseys or tank-tops, displaying their body-builder arms and chests? Those guys are no more riders than the top-heavy women you mention.

Personally, neither bothers me to the point of writing to CC, but I would prefer they use models that actually look like cyclists.

how about the ones modeling the underwear?!

:eek:

btw, just tell them to take you off their mailing list. they are way overpriced on EVERYTHING anyway.

Unfortunately they do what sells stuff. Anyone get the Athleta catalogue? When we first started getting it, I thought it was really cool that they had real female athletes in it... lately it's been much more models and far fewer authentic athletes. Guess they realized that the "I wanna look like her" is more powerful than the "I look like her!"

Wambatgrrl, a few questions:

1. Why become hyper-sensitive about models? It's just marketing. You actually allow yourself to become disgusted over attractive women in an ad? Most ads have attractive women. If you whip yourself into a frenzy over something which is ubiquitous in modern culture, you run the risk of becoming bitter, boorish, and unnecessarily hateful.

2. Good looking people can be into bicycling just as much as anyone else, right?

3. Are there not many larger and more significant injustices in this world to which one can dedicate one's outrage? Attractive models in a cycling catalog hardly seems anywhere near the top of the list. I suggest that it might be better to have a sense of humor about the overriding sexuality in everything--even in marketing, and get on with enjoying riding, working to alleviate world hunger, or anything else either pleasant, worthwhile or both.