colored cyclist

Don't be so sure of a black guy making it to the top of the European food chain too soon. No problem in the US though.

Europe is about a stone age behind America in the tolerance department.

I know, because I lived it. If I was a person of color, I'd be happiest in the US. The melting pot, you know.

Maybe we need some US team(s) to pick up some of those really talented African riders and take them to race in Europe.....Culture shock for sure, but could it be worse than yanking someone out of South America? Discovery has alreay recruited some Asians and I *think* even raced Beppu in Europe, though not in any of the Grand Tours to my knowledge. They also just picked up a young up and coming Chinese guy.
Europe's gotten used to people of all ethnicities on their football teams - no reason why cycling should remain in the stone age.

YMCA said:
Don't be so sure of a black guy making it to the top of the European food chain too soon. No problem in the US though.

I know, because I lived it. If I was a person of color, I'd be happiest in the US. The melting pot, you know.

I wholeheartedly disagree with this statement. "People of colour" are very well integrated into British society along with the influx of Eastern Europeans since the enlargement of the European Union.

here are a couple of european pros...

Rony Martias - BRIOCHES LA BOULANGERE
DSCF3206_200.jpg

Johann Gene - BRIOCHES LA BOULANGERE
25.jpg

Since blacks are such great runners it make me really wonder why there aren't so many great black riders.

But Discovery is gone now!

Isn't France still a racist country? Didn't they have race riots about 3 years ago?

I'd like to see a great Asian cyclist too.

JTE83 said:
Since blacks are such great runners it make me really wonder why there aren't so many great black riders.

But Discovery is gone now!

Isn't France still a racist country? Didn't they have race riots about 3 years ago?

I'd like to see a great Asian cyclist too.

They may need to start doping too...

;)

As being "a person of color" (just call me a Black guy, not African Amercian or any other PC euphemism), I don't care what color or ethnicity the professional riders are. What I desire is that all ethnicities have a fair shot at attaining the professional level, and may the best riders rise to the top - not because they play politics better than the next rider - but because their skill level and desire exceeds all others.

tonyzackery said:
As being "a person of color" (just call me a Black guy, not African Amercian or any other PC euphemism), I don't care what color or ethnicity the professional riders are. What I desire is that all ethnicities have a fair shot at attaining the professional level, and may the best riders rise to the top - not because they play politics better than the next rider - but because their skill level and desire exceeds all others.
How about "Bro"? In Jamaica its call "Yadi"...no not yadi....yaaadee.
Just pushing the envelope.:eek:

Induray said:
How about "Bro"? In Jamaica its call "Yadi"...no not yadi....yaaadee.
Just pushing the envelope.:eek:
that's actually "yardie" not yadi... Jamaicans have trouble with the letter "R"... this is refering to a yard slave vs. a house slave... especially if you are white, i wouldn't suggest you go calling people yardie unless you know them REALLY well. it's kinda the equivalent of calling them the "n" word... kinda like saying you are the real, deal "n"...

Some of these posts are hilarious.

There are a few blacks in the domestic pro teams and they are fast as hell. I ride with an older (mid 30s) black guy who just got into cycling a couple years ago and he's doing damn well.

Whats with the ultra-PC "people of color" useage? I'm white and I always have to do a double take if someone says "caucasian."

YMCA said:

Are you including the UK in that statment?

doctorSpoc said:
that's actually "yardie" not yadi... Jamaicans have trouble with the letter "R"... this is refering to a yard slave vs. a house slave... especially if you are white, i wouldn't suggest you go calling people yardie unless you know them REALLY well. it's kinda the equivalent of calling them the "n" word... kinda like saying you are the real, deal "n"...
My wife (she's fm JA) says yadi/yardie is a jamaican native.Derogatory? Maybe...but does not have the connotation of the "n" word. Is like calling me a "jibaro" fm Puerto Rico. Or calling a Jax native redneck..etc.

Induray said:
My wife (she's fm JA) says yadi/yardie is a jamaican native.Derogatory? Maybe...but does not have the connotation of the "n" word. Is like calling me a "jibaro" fm Puerto Rico. Or calling a Jax native redneck..etc.
i'm telling you the origins of the word... you are refering to someone as a slave... an outdoor, dark, real african, no cream in the coffee, working in the fields slave... it's bad... and like the "n" word it realy depends who's saying it, and how they are saying it... if two good black friends say to each other... hey you are my "n" then that's a good thing... but could also say.. get out of my f'n way "n" that's a bad thing, but in almost any situation if a white person says "n" that is always a bad thing... there is just too much bad history there... i feel like John Conner talking to the Terminator, in Terminator 2 :)

it's like you can call your best friend numb nuts, but if someone walked up to you on the street and called you numb nuts, that would be a bad thing.

calling another black person yardie or "n" can be a show of affection... saying you are a brother in the struggle, we share a connection on that level.. a white person can't have that connection since they haven't lived in black skin, so a white person saying yardie or "n" can only be an insult or just a show of complete and utter ignorance. but, yeah, likely if a white person called a black Jamaican person yardie they would likely just think you were stupid and ignorant rather than taking it as an insult... wouldn't try the same thing with the "n" word though... so there is somewhat a difference but they are both still very derogatory.

doctorSpoc said:
i'm telling you the origins of the word... you are refering to someone as a slave... an outdoor, dark, real african, no cream in the coffee, working in the fields slave... it's bad... and like the "n" word it realy depends who's saying it, and how they are saying it... if two good black friends say to each other... hey you are my "n" then that's a good thing... but could also say.. get out of my f'n way "n" that's a bad thing, but in almost any situation if a white person says "n" that is always a bad thing... there is just too much bad history there... i feel like John Conner talking to the Terminator, in Terminator 2 :)

it's like you can call your best friend numb nuts, but if someone walked up to you on the street and called you numb nuts, that would be a bad thing.

calling another black person yardie or "n" can be a show of affection... saying you are a brother in the struggle, we share a connection on that level.. a white person can't have that connection since they haven't lived in black skin, so a white person saying yardie or "n" can only be an insult or just a show of complete and utter ignorance. but, yeah, likely if a white person called a black Jamaican person yardie they would likely just think you were stupid and ignorant rather than taking it as an insult... wouldn't try the same thing with the "n" word though... so there is somewhat a difference but they are both still very derogatory.
I'm fully aware this is a cycling forum and this thread has gone way off subject, however "Dr. Spoc" I sure would hope that you are in fact a Black person otherwise your above "expert" analysis will assuredly be called into question...by me, for one.

And this is coming from a Black, colored, n***** (and I take more offense to a Black person calling me a n***** than a White person as I know the White person is only trying to get a reaction from me), yardie, coon, darkie, etc...or whatever colorful adjective people in the majority like to use for us...

tonyzackery said:
I'm fully aware this is a cycling forum and this thread has gone way off subject, however "Dr. Spoc" I sure would hope that you are in fact a Black person otherwise your above "expert" analysis will assuredly be called into question...by me, for one.

And this is coming from a Black, colored, n***** (and I take more offense to a Black person calling me a n***** than a White person as I know the White person is only trying to get a reaction from me), yardie, coon, darkie, etc...or whatever colorful adjective people in the majority like to use for us...
...of course you are correct that i should have really said that only some black people would not take offence at another black person calling them by any of those derogatories (i only gave a rationale for why/how it is a black person might not taking offense when it comes from another black person). but, as you say, larger numbers of black people, probably the vast majority of black people would take offense at another black person even using or writing the word "n" much less being called one... yup.. i agree.

wow, you would notice something as insignigicant as that wouldn't you? Everyone is out to get you, right? What does it matter if you're black or white if all you want to do is turn pro? Quit making excuses or quit now.

bodaciousguy said:
wow, you would notice something as insignigicant as that wouldn't you? Everyone is out to get you, right? What does it matter if you're black or white if all you want to do is turn pro? Quit making excuses or quit now.
What island do you live on?

bodaciousguy said:
What's that supposed to mean?

I'm referring to the original post if you were confused.
Obviously, the Op's question was significant to HIM - if it isn't to YOU, so be it. Your assumption (and you know what assumptions do for YOU) that he's making an excuse for not making pro because he's "colored" is ignorant. And your inference as such led to my comment...Clear things up for you, oh confused one??:confused: