Colostrum

Shane Stanley wrote:
> In article
> <43fb2cc0$0$1035$61c65585@un-2park-reader-01.sydney.pipenetworks.com.au>
> ,
> Terry Collins <[email protected]> wrote:
>

>>My immediate thought was "Right, must be some great dairy farmer if he
>>has to buy this stuff in." {:)

> :) A lot of poddies are raised by people who have no cows of their own.

That was the exception I was thinking of, afterall there wouldn't be
much of a poddy market otherwise.

Does calf mix (dried powder) come in different grades?

Donga wrote:
> Theo Bekkers wrote:
>> I shat myself.

> After colostrum? Hehehehe. No more details please!

It took several years to gain control over my bowels.

Theo

In article
<43fba65a$0$1036$61c65585@un-2park-reader-01.sydney.pipenetworks.com.au>
,
Terry Collins <[email protected]> wrote:

> Does calf mix (dried powder) come in different grades?

I don't think so, but I'm not sure -- haven't bought any for years. The
colostrum is sold in liquid form (kept in a fridge).

--
Shane Stanley

Theo:
>It took several years to gain control over my bowels.

ROTFLMAO. I tried it on my kids and it cost me a mint in nappies.

Donga wrote:
> Kim:
>
>>CONCLUSION: Oral bovine colostrum supplementation at 20 g or 60 g/d provided a small but significant improvement in time trial >performance in cyclists after a 2-h ride at 65% VO2max

> Kim
> Did the authors venture an explanation for this? Earlier I expressed
> unsubstantiated skepticism, but the results are fairly persuasive and
> the time difference is quite substantial. However, I would be
> interested to know HOW it works (and my skepticism lingers).
>
> Donga

that is a good question, maybe there is an element or combination of
elements that if mixed right could have the same result? I guess the
study didnt actually investigate the how. read a few other studies from
different sport disciplines and the majority of them had some sort of
positive reaction.

Donga wrote:
> Kim:
>
>>CONCLUSION: Oral bovine colostrum supplementation at 20 g or 60 g/d provided a small but significant improvement in time trial >performance in cyclists after a 2-h ride at 65% VO2max

> Kim
> Did the authors venture an explanation for this? Earlier I expressed
> unsubstantiated skepticism, but the results are fairly persuasive and
> the time difference is quite substantial. However, I would be
> interested to know HOW it works (and my skepticism lingers).

One of the problems of this test with nothing and test with something
testing proceedure is that the subjects usually perform better on the
seond test even of they just drank plain water.

I found it difficult to extract the degree of significance for the
results, i.e. how significant was the difference.

I've just received the latest Bicycling Australia. The 'winning letter'
criticises the mag for publishing a review of OxyShot, saying it does
not help the author to teach his kids to get themselves over the line
using good nutrition, rather than some secret ingredient (different to
EPO only in that it is legal?). I totally agree. Train harder and
smarter. No magic bullets or little pills.

Donga

In article <[email protected]>,
"Donga" <[email protected]> wrote:

> I've just received the latest Bicycling Australia. The 'winning letter'
> criticises the mag for publishing a review of OxyShot, saying it does
> not help the author to teach his kids to get themselves over the line
> using good nutrition, rather than some secret ingredient

How times change. They ran an article on some other other magic
ingredient more than a year back, and I wrote to the then editor making
a similar point. I got a reply that was totally defensive.

--
Shane Stanley

On 22 Feb 2006 02:54:07 -0800, Donga wrote:

> I've just received the latest Bicycling Australia. The 'winning letter'
> criticises the mag for publishing a review of OxyShot, saying it does
> not help the author to teach his kids to get themselves over the line
> using good nutrition, rather than some secret ingredient (different to
> EPO only in that it is legal?). I totally agree. Train harder and
> smarter. No magic bullets or little pills.

Did the review state that these hyper-oxygenated drinks are a
discredited hoax? If you hoped to cheat with this sort of rubbish
you'd be sorely disappointed.

Michael Warner:
>Did the review state that these hyper-oxygenated drinks are a discredited hoax? If you hoped to cheat with this sort of rubbish
>you'd be sorely disappointed.

No it didn't - but a.b. knows after a long thread on the topic.
Second thoughts, the other difference is that EPO works. If it's legal,
there's a pretty clear message it's a waste of dough.

I picked up a copy of Cycling Plus yesterday. It has a review of powdered deer antler in it. It's supposed to increase your strength. I wonder if you can mix it into a colostrum shake?

Steve(pass the powdered tigers' bollocks please)A

Donga said:
Kim:
>CONCLUSION: Oral bovine colostrum supplementation at 20 g or 60 g/d provided a small but significant improvement in time trial >performance in cyclists after a 2-h ride at 65% VO2max

Kim
Did the authors venture an explanation for this? Earlier I expressed
unsubstantiated skepticism, but the results are fairly persuasive and
the time difference is quite substantial. However, I would be
interested to know HOW it works (and my skepticism lingers).

Donga

65% of VO2Max is not race pace. So what kind of time trial performance were they looking at? Ability to sustain an aerodymanic position for 2 hrs?