Colour of the bike?

Discussion in 'The Bike Cafe' started by mayasupernova, Dec 22, 2015.

1. mayasupernova

mayasupernova Active Member

I have always loved yellow bikes for some weird reason. I can't really explain what is the reason behind my choosing yellow for every bike I have ever had, but I think it is just because of my associations with the colour yellow. It reminded me of the Sun, sunflower and just generally brightness. Even today, my bike is yellow?

What about the rest of you? Has the colour of your bike have some special meaning to you, do you often think about it, do you choose your bikes in a specific colour of your liking?

Would you skip a good bike in a shop just because they do not have it in your favourite colour?

Tags:

2. cyclintom

cyclintom Well-Known Member

I began liking the color yellow while staying in an old Roman Roadhouse in France while chasing the Tour de France around. From the window as far as the eye could see were Sunflowers. That's a memory that sticks with me even though my concussion memory loss.

I learned to ride a bike almost as soon as I was old enough but it was a full size Schwinn and my pedaling style sort of put a crimp on the control. Plus the innertubes in those days would flatten if you held bad thoughts about them.

Coming back from the war I raced cars a little then went to motorcycles. While discussing the upcoming track season with my best friend in the motorcycle shop he had a heart attack and died in my arms. That was before CPR was well known.

At another job a couple of the guys rode off-road which were junkers in those days. We went up to watch repack a couple of times in Marin and those guys tried to beat each other's records. But they had done that course so many times that there was no way you could compete with them. Going into a local bike shop I got the bug and joined the local club. That must have been in about 1975? I started racing and did good until I received an injury at work that INSTANTLY dropped my performance from good to acceptable. Although a Cat 5 I could hang on the back of the Cat 3's. After the injury I couldn't even stay with the Cat 5's. After than I realized that I had to become an endurance rider.

Being a mechanic since childhood I could build up my own bikes and still do to this day. My present collection is a Colnago C40 in Mapei colors, a Colnago Dream HP (Violet and neon Yellow), a Colnago Drean Delux (Blue and grey), a Look 247 Tour Replica (Red), a Schwinn Voyager.(bluish grey) a Ridley XBow (black and white) and a Redline Conquest (black and yellow). Also a Time VX frame and fork and a Raleigh Wyoming touring bike frame.

I'll probably sell the Dream Delux, the Schwinn Voyager and the two frames to make room in the garage which is a little cramped around the car. I never have to worry about the lack of a ride no matter what the purpose.

3. sunshiney

sunshiney Member

I've never bothered too much about colour, but that's mostly because almost all my bikes over the years have been hand-me-downs from my older brother (as a kid), or bought second hand from friends at a steep discount. So, not much choice :D but I don't really mind.

Brightly coloured bikes are definitely really cute though, and I love yellow too! My mom has a bright spring green coloured bike and it's just beautiful and really unique. If I had my choice though I would probably just go for plain black since I know I wouldn't end up getting tired of it and it wouldn't attract too much attention. Bikes tend to get stolen quite a lot where I live so flying under the radar can be good.

4. concord

concord Member

Color never came into the equation.

5. Mr. Beanz

Mr. Beanz Well-Known Member

Hmm, guess my bike color thread wasn't good enough for you? :eek:

6. concord

concord Member

Saw your thread after I replied to this one. Still the color didn't and still doesn't make any difference to me. Unless it's pink.

7. Susimi

Susimi Well-Known Member

I've found that pink blends together with black surprisingly nicely and come to think of it most colours blend together with black well, if they are blended together correctly that is.

I've nothing against the colour of my current bike (Metallic Silver), but I think if I were to get a new bike I would take a lot more consideration over the colour of it.

8. Mr. Beanz

Mr. Beanz Well-Known Member

0telekom.JPG
    Surprisingly? :eek: Heck, I saw Team Telekom bikes in the TDF back in 98. That's when I decided pink was nothing to fret upon. I'd love to have a pink bike! :D

Susimi likes this.
  9. Susimi

Susimi Well-Known Member

Oh man that is a beautiful colour scheme.

I need to have those sorts of colours on my next bike :)

10. concord

concord Member

Nice bike, but pink?? I'm not so sure about that. With a bike like that I guess I could get used to to the pink.:rolleyes:

11. moneyman

moneyman Member

It actually doesn't matter to me what is the colour of the bike. The main thing is that am I comfortable riding the certain bike or not.

12. bigpedaler

bigpedaler New Member

I never really bothered with the color of a bike; first and foremost: IT WAS A BIKE!!! That itself did enough for me for years. In fact, only NOW, when I'm looking at "the next one", and have an actual CHOICE, I'm leaning green. In fact, TWO that make my list are green bikes.

I think most people are familiar with the Electra Rat Fink; it's a "WILL HAVE". I'm also confident in the quality of the Gravity FS275X5 from Bikes Direct, since my daughter has a smaller version of it.

concord likes this.
  13. knitmebikey

knitmebikey New Member

All of my bikes have been blue. I think it's just because that's one of my favorite colors, though. Doesn't really have any other significance other than that.

14. Damien Lee

Damien Lee Active Member

Yellow is actually a good color for a bike. It's a high-intensity color and is quite visible even under dark conditions. I've never owned a yellow bike, but now that I think of it I wouldn't mind picking up a yellow one in future. There are certain colors that I steer clear from, like green and maroon. I don't have an antipathy towards these colors, just don't like them on bikes.

15. bykster

bykster Member

Love the British spelling, but like I said in the other thread, it doesn't really matter to me. Although I don't think I'd want my bike to be yellow or any other super bright color. I never was one to stand out as a person, so that's probably related somehow.

16. Muhammad adnan

Muhammad adnan New Member

Ever go into a bike shop and just walk up and down the store drooling over the vast array of bike brands, models and colours? Most often when we enter a bike store we usually have some idea of what brand or style of bike we are looking for. The kind of ride you choose and wheel size tells a lot about the kind of rider you are, but what about the colour of your bike? What does this say about your personality? Colour is a great way to let the world know who you are or what you want people to think about you.

In a perfect world, you could walk into a bike shop and buy the exact colour you want. Most of the time you’re limited to the colours that the manufacturer offers. The colour of a bike might be based on a traditional colour that the company has been using for years, perhaps their trademark colour. Or the bike manufacture might base the colours on what is trendy at the time. There are also certain colours that are always the mainstay no matter what colour is trendy at the moment. Depending on the type of bike and the type of niche the bike occupies, this can dictate the colour the manufacturer will choose.

For example: pink road racing frames that are marketed at men because of the association with the Giro d’Italia. (The leaders jersey of the race is pink.)

17. Gnufrau

Gnufrau Active Member

And here I thought it was for the Telekom racing team (of course, they changed that name to T-Mobile).

18. Muhammad adnan

Muhammad adnan New Member

19. ChilliDog

ChilliDog New Member

My bike is black. I have always been fond of black, probably always will be. I have never really given thought as to why I chose that color until now.

20. pwarbi

pwarbi Well-Known Member

I can't say that the colour makes that much of a difference but my favourite bike I had was a sky blue, silver and white colour combination that I loved.

Since then I've had a variety of colours really but I guess I tend to go for the darker colours usually, the colours that don't stand out too much.