Colour Question?

Discussion in 'UK and Europe' started by Hotdog, Mar 20, 2005.

  1. Hotdog

    Hotdog Guest

    Hi all

    I wonder if I could tap you up for some advice?

    I've just bought my 11yr old daughter a giant OCR which being new puts mine
    to shame....

    Starting to hint to my wife that I might want a new bike was not at all
    successful so I started to think what could I do with mine to make me more
    happy with it!

    First action was to clean it which I did and it highlighted all its little
    scratches from cable rubs etc. and made me more want to change it.

    I then started to think about a respray because the bike itself is very good
    imho (aluminium, carbon forks, Ultegra equipped etc.).

    This is where I want your help have you ever had a bike resprayed, how much
    does it cost, what colours do people go for (looked at a website talked
    about proteam colours now there's a thought)

    My bike is 4 years old is currently red but would really appreciate your
    thoughts on colours?

    Many thanks

    Ian

    Below is an extract from a chap in Skelmersdale website not sure if its good
    value etc.

    ALL DESIGNS AND COLOUR SCHEMES CAN BE CARRIED OUT UPON REQUEST, INCLUDING
    TEAM COLOURS SUCH AS MOTOROLA, CARRERA ETC.

    Frame and forks -------------------- Plain Enamel
    £55
    Frame and forks --------------------- Metallic &Flamboyant
    £60
    Additional Colour £9:50
    Head tube panelfaded £8:50
    Seat tube & down tube panel
    £10 (each)
     
    Tags:


  2. MSeries

    MSeries Guest

    Hotdog wrote:
    > Hi all
    >
    > I wonder if I could tap you up for some advice?
    >
    > I've just bought my 11yr old daughter a giant OCR which being new

    puts mine
    > to shame....
    >
    > Starting to hint to my wife that I might want a new bike was not at

    all
    > successful so I started to think what could I do with mine to make me

    more
    > happy with it!
    >
    > First action was to clean it which I did and it highlighted all its

    little
    > scratches from cable rubs etc. and made me more want to change it.
    >
    > I then started to think about a respray because the bike itself is

    very good
    > imho (aluminium, carbon forks, Ultegra equipped etc.).
    >
    > This is where I want your help have you ever had a bike resprayed,

    how much
    > does it cost, what colours do people go for (looked at a website

    talked
    > about proteam colours now there's a thought)
    >
    > My bike is 4 years old is currently red but would really appreciate

    your
    > thoughts on colours?
    >
    > Many thanks
    >
    > Ian
    >
    > Below is an extract from a chap in Skelmersdale website not sure if

    its good
    > value etc.
    >
    > ALL DESIGNS AND COLOUR SCHEMES CAN BE CARRIED OUT UPON REQUEST,

    INCLUDING
    > TEAM COLOURS SUCH AS MOTOROLA, CARRERA ETC.
    >
    > Frame and forks -------------------- Plain Enamel
    > £55
    > Frame and forks --------------------- Metallic &Flamboyant
    > £60
    > Additional Colour £9:50
    > Head tube panelfaded

    £8:50
    > Seat tube & down tube panel
    > £10 (each)




    yellow
     
  3. bugbear

    bugbear Guest

    Hotdog wrote:
    > Hi all
    >
    > I wonder if I could tap you up for some advice?
    >
    > I've just bought my 11yr old daughter a giant OCR which being new puts mine
    > to shame....
    >
    > Starting to hint to my wife that I might want a new bike was not at all
    > successful so I started to think what could I do with mine to make me more
    > happy with it!
    >
    > First action was to clean it which I did and it highlighted all its little
    > scratches from cable rubs etc. and made me more want to change it.
    >
    > I then started to think about a respray because the bike itself is very good
    > imho (aluminium, carbon forks, Ultegra equipped etc.).
    >
    > This is where I want your help have you ever had a bike resprayed, how much
    > does it cost, what colours do people go for (looked at a website talked
    > about proteam colours now there's a thought)
    >
    > My bike is 4 years old is currently red but would really appreciate your
    > thoughts on colours?


    Let me get this straight. You have a high spec, 4 year old bike.
    And because your daughters's bike is new and shiny,
    you wanted a new bike?

    Having been (quote rightly) slapped down from this ludicrous
    notion, you want a respray?

    Jeez. Get out and ride the damn thing.

    BugBear
     
  4. LSMike

    LSMike Guest

    Hotdog wrote:

    > Starting to hint to my wife that I might want a new bike was not at

    all
    > successful so I started to think what could I do with mine to make me

    more
    > happy with it!


    Hah, I think you need to haul out the Riot Act and read it to her. ;)
     
  5. Tony W

    Tony W Guest

    "Hotdog" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]
    > Hi all
    >
    > I wonder if I could tap you up for some advice?
    >
    > I've just bought my 11yr old daughter a giant OCR which being new puts

    mine
    > to shame....
    >
    > Starting to hint to my wife that I might want a new bike was not at all
    > successful so I started to think what could I do with mine to make me more
    > happy with it!
    >
    > First action was to clean it which I did and it highlighted all its little
    > scratches from cable rubs etc. and made me more want to change it.
    >
    > I then started to think about a respray because the bike itself is very

    good
    > imho (aluminium, carbon forks, Ultegra equipped etc.).
    >
    > This is where I want your help have you ever had a bike resprayed, how

    much
    > does it cost, what colours do people go for (looked at a website talked
    > about proteam colours now there's a thought)
    >
    > My bike is 4 years old is currently red but would really appreciate your
    > thoughts on colours?


    So you respray it. It then looks like a nice new bike and, in four years
    time, it will have a few chips and dinks -- and SWMBO will say 'its OK, you
    don't need a new bike, get another respray'.

    Better answer is to ride the thing till it falls apart -- then SWMBO ill
    have few arguments to deploy against the procurement of a nice, shiny new
    bike.
     
  6. Tony Raven

    Tony Raven Guest

    MSeries wrote:
    >
    > yellow
    >


    I agree. Yellow is the new black. These fashion judgements are critical
    in getting a bike.

    Tony ;-)
     
  7. wafflycat

    wafflycat Guest

    "Hotdog" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]
    > Hi all
    >
    >
    > Starting to hint to my wife that I might want a new bike was not at all
    > successful so I started to think what could I do with mine to make me more
    > happy with it!
    >


    Silly lady! Doesn't she know one can *never* have too many bikes :)

    Cheers, helen s
     
  8. David Martin

    David Martin Guest

    On 21/3/05 2:09 pm, in article [email protected], "wafflycat"
    <wafflesATv21netDOTcoDOTuk> wrote:

    >
    > "Hotdog" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    > news:[email protected]
    >> Hi all
    >>
    >>
    >> Starting to hint to my wife that I might want a new bike was not at all
    >> successful so I started to think what could I do with mine to make me more
    >> happy with it!
    >>

    >
    > Silly lady! Doesn't she know one can *never* have too many bikes :)


    ;-) Told SWMBO that I was dropping off a big box of surplus bike bits to the
    Bike Station (via Jon Senior). Somehow ommitted to mention I was picking up
    an old bike to turn into a fixie.. So that is now the road bike, the MTB
    commuter, the grandmother bike, and a fixie, plus Igor.

    I could do with a proper MTB, and a folder. And a proper Audax bike so the
    road bike can be reserved for silly extreme exercise..

    And a unicycle.

    and..

    ...d
     
  9. davek

    davek Guest

    Tony Raven wrote:
    > I agree. Yellow is the new black. These fashion judgements are

    critical
    > in getting a bike.


    Fashion is all very well, but RED bikes go FASTER, and that is 100%
    FACT, backed up by the laws of physics.

    But if it's a touring bike the only colour that will do is British
    Racing Green.

    d.
     
  10. wafflycat

    wafflycat Guest

    "David Martin" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:BE648BBD.C700%[email protected]

    > I could do with a proper MTB, and a folder. And a proper Audax bike so the
    > road bike can be reserved for silly extreme exercise..
    >
    > And a unicycle.
    >
    > and..
    >
    > ..d
    >


    All seems entirely reasonable ;-)

    Cheers, helen s
     
  11. Peter Clinch

    Peter Clinch Guest

    davek wrote:

    > But if it's a touring bike the only colour that will do is British
    > Racing Green.


    When EBC re-launched they're "Country" model a few years ago (the
    original had disappeared in the early 90s) the catalogue made some hay
    of various innovations. These innovations included the compact frame,
    and the fact that it wasn't British Racing Green! ;-)

    (Sith Tourers are, of course, different. Mine is bright orange.)

    Pete.
    --
    Peter Clinch Medical Physics IT Officer
    Tel 44 1382 660111 ext. 33637 Univ. of Dundee, Ninewells Hospital
    Fax 44 1382 640177 Dundee DD1 9SY Scotland UK
    net [email protected] http://www.dundee.ac.uk/~pjclinch/
     
  12. Tim Hall

    Tim Hall Guest

    On 21 Mar 2005 07:17:59 -0800, "davek" <[email protected]>
    wrote:

    >Tony Raven wrote:
    >> I agree. Yellow is the new black. These fashion judgements are

    >critical
    >> in getting a bike.

    >
    >Fashion is all very well, but RED bikes go FASTER, and that is 100%
    >FACT, backed up by the laws of physics.
    >


    Obviously.
    >But if it's a touring bike the only colour that will do is British
    >Racing Green.
    >


    I took my tandem for a respray at Vaz. "I'll have it BRG please, like
    it is now."

    "That's not BRG" he said, "_that's_ BRG", pointing to a bright green
    sample. "Your bike is gunmetal".


    Well it is now.


    Moral: don't pick paint colours in a dimly lit workshop.




    Tim
     
  13. Tony Raven

    Tony Raven Guest

    davek wrote:
    > Tony Raven wrote:
    >
    >>I agree. Yellow is the new black. These fashion judgements are

    >
    > critical
    >
    >>in getting a bike.

    >
    >
    > Fashion is all very well, but RED bikes go FASTER, and that is 100%
    > FACT, backed up by the laws of physics.
    >


    It may appear so but its really a yellow bike receding at extremely high
    speed (the approaching phase is in the ultraviolet hence the explanation
    of SMIDSY even though you are riding a bright yellow bike) ;-)

    Tony
     
  14. Simonb

    Simonb Guest

    MartinM wrote:

    > Yellow bikes go faster (except both of mine)


    Wrong shade of yellow, perhaps?
     
  15. MartinM

    MartinM Guest

    "Tony Raven" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]
    > davek wrote:
    > > Tony Raven wrote:
    > >
    > >>I agree. Yellow is the new black. These fashion judgements are

    > >
    > > critical
    > >
    > >>in getting a bike.

    > >
    > >
    > > Fashion is all very well, but RED bikes go FASTER, and that is 100%


    Yellow bikes go faster (except both of mine)
     
  16. MartinM wrote:

    > Yellow bikes go faster (except both of mine)


    Sometimes black bikes go faster, except when they don't. This, sadly, does
    not include Mr. Fleming's NoCom :-(

    --

    Dave Larrington - http://www.legslarry.beerdrinkers.co.uk/
    World Domination?
    Just find a world that's into that kind of thing, then chain to the
    floor and walk up and down on it in high heels. (Mr. Sunshine)
     
  17. Tony Raven wrote:
    > MSeries wrote:
    >
    >>
    >> yellow
    >>

    >
    > I agree. Yellow is the new black. These fashion judgements are critical
    > in getting a bike.
    >


    Bikes should be yellow, without question. The first bike I ever
    bought[1] was bright yellow and I still hanker after a similar paint job.

    [1] first *new* bike I'd ever owned as well. A Dawes Wildcat which cost
    me £340 complete with mudguards from a Cambridge bikeshop IIRC. I had to
    work all summer cutting throats[2] to pay for it. About a year later it
    was nicked, get this, on the *first* day I rode it to university. Can
    you tell I'm still bitter?

    [2] really. An abbatoir.
     
  18. Simon Brooke

    Simon Brooke Guest

    in message <[email protected]>,
    davek ('[email protected]') wrote:

    > Tony Raven wrote:
    >> I agree. Yellow is the new black. These fashion judgements are

    > critical
    >> in getting a bike.

    >
    > Fashion is all very well, but RED bikes go FASTER, and that is 100%
    > FACT, backed up by the laws of physics.
    >
    > But if it's a touring bike the only colour that will do is British
    > Racing Green.


    Dear boy!

    Black is the /only/ colour for a /gentleman's/ bicycle.

    I'd even go so far as to say it's the new Black.

    --
    [email protected] (Simon Brooke) http://www.jasmine.org.uk/~simon/

    ;; Friends don't send friends HTML formatted emails.
     
  19. MartinM

    MartinM Guest

    "Dave Larrington" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]
    > MartinM wrote:
    >
    > > Yellow bikes go faster (except both of mine)

    >
    > Sometimes black bikes go faster, except when they don't. This, sadly,

    does
    > not include Mr. Fleming's NoCom :-(


    So the exit poll so far has:

    Red 1
    British Racing Green 2
    Orange 1
    Black 2
    Belgian Flag (simonb)1

    and by a long chalk;

    Yellow 5

    come on xanthophiles, let's make it a landslide!
     
  20. the.Mark

    the.Mark Guest

    MartinM wrote:
    > "Dave Larrington" <[email protected]> wrote in
    > message news:[email protected]
    >> MartinM wrote:
    >>
    >>> Yellow bikes go faster (except both of mine)

    >>
    >> Sometimes black bikes go faster, except when they don't.
    >> This, sadly, does not include Mr. Fleming's NoCom :-(

    >
    > So the exit poll so far has:
    >
    > Red 1
    > British Racing Green 2
    > Orange 1
    > Black 2
    > Belgian Flag (simonb)1
    >
    > and by a long chalk;
    >
    > Yellow 5
    >
    > come on xanthophiles, let's make it a landslide!


    My Rockhopper is yellow, my Windcheetah is metallic and yellow, my Marin is
    two tone orange and my road bike and unicycle are both silver. Helens
    Rockhopper is yellow, oldest son has a yellow bike and youngest son has a
    red bike.

    Yellow is probably my favourite colour.
    --
    Mark

    1x1 wheel, 3x2 wheels & 1x3 wheels.
     
Loading...
Loading...