columbian imports

Discussion in 'Recumbent bicycles' started by Obento, Feb 1, 2003.

  1. Obento

    Obento Guest

    Tags:

  2. Well the company sent me a Xmas Card....which was kinda weird since I never gave them my name or
    address and I don't celebrate Xmas. I was impressed by the Slide Show on ebay...6 slides showing a
    guy riding a SWB while holding his Cellphone to his ear...what is that all about? The bent looks
    heavy and 18 speed Shimano SIS???, didn't know they still made the SIS system. IF the components on
    the bent were any good, buy the bent and toss the frame...but with really low end parts on a heavy
    rolled steel frame and a $10.00 fork...I'd give it a miss. I did at 1st think that this would make a
    good bent to introduce people to bents (being such low cost), but doing your Learning Curve from a
    DF to a SWB bent on this bent (may) convince people to keep riding their DF. Re: don't ride this
    bent and think a RANS SWB is the same.
    "ObenTo" <lsitter1@frontiernet.net> wrote in message news:v3ou9v4qsir46c@corp.supernews.com...
    > about 50+ of these on E-bay , any feed -back appreciated.

    http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=2705659533&category=2904

  3. John Clarke

    John Clarke Guest

    note : recommended speed limit: 25 mph Not that i've looked a a lot of bicycle sites, but i don't
    recall one with a speed limit. Why, could somebody please tell me would such a limitation be
    necessary? Poor braking, bad welds? Perhaps Nader should check this one out. Maybe he would
    list it with the Corvair "Unsafe at any speed"

    john clarke

    "ObenTo" <lsitter1@frontiernet.net> wrote in message news:v3ou9v4qsir46c@corp.supernews.com...
    > about 50+ of these on E-bay , any feed -back appreciated.

    http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=2705659533&category=2904

  4. U think a Corvair was a bad car, one of my uncles had a Corvair and it was a great Amphibious
    Vehicle, we used to go fishing in it during the summers on Lake Champlain N.Y. With Twin Props it
    moved through the water at a good speed. It has been a while, but I think it was called a Corvair
    Monza. It was a car that you could also drive off the road and use as a boat. Guess the dual use car
    concept never lasted beyond the late 1960's.

    As for the 25 mph Speed Limit question. Could be a liability issue..but I doubt it. Cold rolled
    steel won't have much frame flex to it, so maybe at high speeds the frame is prone to
    cracking....have no idea. Does seem like an odd thing to put in an Advert though.
    "John Clarke" <jcswedes@comcast.net> wrote in message news:piidnWXEB-_IP6GjXTWc2Q@comcast.com...
    > note : recommended speed limit: 25 mph Not that i've looked a a lot of bicycle sites, but i don't
    > recall one with
    > speed limit. Why, could somebody please tell me would such a limitation be necessary? Poor
    > braking, bad welds? Perhaps Nader should check this one
    out.
    > Maybe he would list it with the Corvair "Unsafe at any speed"
    >
    > john clarke
    >
    > "ObenTo" <lsitter1@frontiernet.net> wrote in message news:v3ou9v4qsir46c@corp.supernews.com...
    > > about 50+ of these on E-bay , any feed -back appreciated.

    http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=2705659533&category=2904

  5. John Riley

    John Riley Guest

    Ths message was posted to this group in December:

    > From: j browe (mriguy66@yahoo.com) Subject: columbian bent recently bought
    > alt.rec.bicycles.recumbent Date: 2002-12-05 20:39:12 PST
    >
    > I recently contacted a buyer of one of the columbian bents from evanity .com questioning him on
    > his experience and here is his reply:
    >
    > Hi Joel, I wish I could be more positive for you but the most I can say is that the bike was very
    > inexpensive for a recumbent. I don't think I would buy from
    > e.vanity again. The bike was shipped from Bogotá Colombia about one month after the auction ended.
    > When it arrived the FedEx driver said it wasn't packaged very well. He marked the shipment as
    > damaged, but we both thought that maybe it was only the box. I hoped for the best and worked to
    > put the bike together over a period of about 3 days. I think there were at least 6 bent parts I
    > have straightened including both forks and both gear sets. Guess I should have returned it
    > without opening, and shipping damage isn't the fault of e.vanity, but I'm not too crazy about
    > the general quality, either, though I have almost no recumbent experience. This bike's brake and
    > shifter cables are routed down the right hand side, right past the chain. It seems like they
    > could rub and be damaged. I may try to change them to the left hand side away from the chain but
    > there are some little welded-on parts that won't work out that way. One shifter is stuck-
    > unusable- and seems to have been assembled that way. I haven't yet gotten one of the rear brake
    > pads to fit against the wheel correctly... seems like it's attachment to the rear fork is welded
    > a little crooked or I am not doing something right with it. Haven't gotten to the front brakes
    > yet. I just got disgusted when I was trying to fit the seat onto the frame. It is held on with
    > one 1/4" bolt underneath and 2 braces in the back. The bolts in the braces don't match and one
    > is missing, but, the biggest problem is that not all the holes in the frame that the 1/4" bolt
    > goes through are drilled squarely. I can't put the seat on in the position I need without
    > redrilling the holes or coming up with a different kind of attachment. Maybe I'll get over being
    > disgusted and try to make the best of it. Good luck and be careful, Tom

  6. Bill B

    Bill B Guest

    "Joshua Goldberg" <salmagundi@sympatico.ca> wrote in message
    > U think a Corvair was a bad car, one of my uncles had a Corvair and it was a great Amphibious
    > Vehicle, we used to go fishing in it during the summers on Lake Champlain N.Y. With Twin Props it
    > moved through the water at a good speed. It has been a while, but I think it was called a Corvair
    > Monza. It was a car that you could also drive off the road and use as a boat. Guess the dual use
    > car concept never lasted beyond the late 1960's.

    YO Josh by Gosh: I think you have your cars all messed up. I've never seen a Corvair with Twin Props
    However there was a car made in the 60s that did have the twin props called Aqua Car???. A friend of
    mine had a Corvair monza spider with a pancake six cyclinder that was pretty darn fast.To bad Nader
    trashed the car. I liked it.

  7. "Joshua Goldberg" <salmagundi@sympatico.ca> wrote in message
    > U think a Corvair was a bad car, one of my uncles had a Corvair and it was
    > great Amphibious Vehicle, we used to go fishing in it during the summers
    on
    > Lake Champlain N.Y. With Twin Props it moved through the water at a good speed. It has been a
    > while, but I think it was called a Corvair Monza. It was a car that you could also drive off the
    > road and use as a boat. Guess the dual use car concept never lasted beyond the late 1960's.

    nah, it wan't a corvair- it was called amphibicar and a guy who lives on a river near here has one.
    this one's white http://homepage.ntlworld.com/deeejay/page9.html but the one near me is red. never
    seen it on the water.

    rich, high & dry

    v2

  8. It may have been a Corvair Monza that he had modified for water use. I know it was a Corvair, just
    not sure on the Monza part. I looked up photos of the Corvair and it was a Corvair. The car was
    white, had no rear fins, the twin props were white rubber or rubber covered, the engine was in the
    rear of the car, 4 doors. My uncle was always having stuff modified...he could afford
    it. He retired from business at age 49 with slightly under 100 million to live on and he moved to
    the Bahamas to live aboard a 156 ft. Yacht he had custom built (which included an on-board
    carport for his Jaguar XKE).
    "Bill B" <recumbentbill@juno.com> wrote in message
    > "Joshua Goldberg" <salmagundi@sympatico.ca> wrote in message
    > > U think a Corvair was a bad car, one of my uncles had a Corvair and it
    was a
    > > great Amphibious Vehicle, we used to go fishing in it during the summers
    on
    > > Lake Champlain N.Y. With Twin Props it moved through the water at a good speed. It has been a
    > > while, but I think it was called a Corvair Monza.
    It
    > > was a car that you could also drive off the road and use as a boat.
    Guess
    > > the dual use car concept never lasted beyond the late 1960's.
    >

    > YO Josh by Gosh: I think you have your cars all messed up. I've never seen a Corvair with Twin
    > Props However there was a car made in the 60s that did have the twin props called Aqua Car???. A
    > friend of mine had a Corvair monza spider with a pancake six cyclinder that was pretty darn
    > fast.To bad Nader trashed the car. I liked it.

  9. Tom Sherman

    Tom Sherman Guest

    Joshua Goldberg wrote:

    > ... (which included an on-board carport for his Jaguar XKE).

    I feel obliged to point out that the car is correctly referred to as the E-Type, as XKE was never an
    official designation.

    Tom Sherman - Quad Cities USA (Illinois side) RANS "Wavewind" and Rocket, Earth Cycles Sunset and
    Dragonflyer

  10. Baronn1

    Baronn1 Guest

    Can't hold my tongue any more...Tom, did u correct the obstetrician as your head crowned in the
    birthing room? I bet you did, and have never stopped, ever since. I've never in my life experienced
    anyone, anywhere with such an all consuming need to demonstrate the extent of his or her knowledge.
    You've got a lot in your noggin, granted, but for just once, could you just chuckle to yourself, or
    murmur under your breathe "I knew that"? Jeez...

    "Tom Sherman" <tsherman@qconline.com> wrote in message news:3E3D7697.F2737367@qconline.com...

    > Joshua Goldberg wrote:
    > >
    > > ... (which included an on-board carport for his Jaguar XKE).
    >
    > I feel obliged to point out that the car is correctly referred to as the E-Type, as XKE was never
    > an official designation.
    >
    > Tom Sherman - Quad Cities USA (Illinois side) RANS "Wavewind" and Rocket, Earth Cycles Sunset and
    > Dragonflyer

  11. Paul Bruneau

    Paul Bruneau Guest

    No, baronn1, don't make him stop. I thought I was an over-correcting know-it-all before I came back
    to this group some months ago, but Tom has convinced me that "Hey, I'm not so bad!" Without him for
    a measuring stick, I'm going to dislike myself again ;)

    baronn1 wrote:
    > Can't hold my tongue any more...Tom, did u correct the obstetrician as your head crowned in the
    > birthing room? I bet you did, and have never stopped, ever since. I've never in my life
    > experienced anyone, anywhere with such an all consuming need to demonstrate the extent of his or
    > her knowledge. You've got a lot in your noggin, granted, but for just once, could you just chuckle
    > to yourself, or murmur under your breathe "I knew that"? Jeez...
    >
    > "Tom Sherman" <tsherman@qconline.com> wrote in message news:3E3D7697.F2737367@qconline.com...
    >
    >>Joshua Goldberg wrote:
    >>
    >>>... (which included an on-board carport for his Jaguar XKE).
    >>
    >>I feel obliged to point out that the car is correctly referred to as the E-Type, as XKE was never
    >>an official designation.
    >>
    >>Tom Sherman - Quad Cities USA (Illinois side) RANS "Wavewind" and Rocket, Earth Cycles Sunset and
    >>Dragonflyer

  12. Tom Sherman

    Tom Sherman Guest

    baronn1 (who?) wrote:

    > Can't hold my tongue any more...Tom, did u correct the obstetrician as your head crowned in the
    > birthing room? I bet you did, and have never stopped, ever since. I've never in my life
    > experienced anyone, anywhere with such an all consuming need to demonstrate the extent of his or
    > her knowledge. You've got a lot in your noggin, granted, but for just once, could you just chuckle
    > to yourself, or murmur under your breathe "I knew that"? Jeez...

    You must not spend much time around engineers - insisting in correctness in details is a common
    personality trait.

    "Arguing with an engineer is like mud wrestling with a pig... You soon find out the pig likes
    it!" - Unknown

    Tom Sherman - Quad Cities USA (Illinois side) RANS "Wavewind" and Rocket, Earth Cycles Sunset and
    Dragonflyer

  13. Baronn1

    Baronn1 Guest

    Well, Tom, I've worked for 20 years in the computer industry. Spent a lot of that time writing code,
    or providing precise information back to sustaining engineering groups to help them solve esoteric,
    seldom encountered issues with various platforms. So, I know a little about being precise. But, you
    miss the point entirely... When painstaking attentionto detal is called for, it's called for. When
    it's not, it obnoxious.

    "Tom Sherman" <tsherman@qconline.com> wrote in message news:3E3DCE2F.46A861ED@qconline.com...

    > baronn1 (who?) wrote:
    > >
    > > Can't hold my tongue any more...Tom, did u correct the obstetrician as
    your
    > > head crowned in the birthing room? I bet you did, and have never
    stopped,
    > > ever since. I've never in my life experienced anyone, anywhere with
    such an
    > > all consuming need to demonstrate the extent of his or her knowledge. You've got a lot in your
    > > noggin, granted, but for just once, could you
    just
    > > chuckle to yourself, or murmur under your breathe "I knew that"? Jeez...
    >
    > You must not spend much time around engineers - insisting in correctness in details is a common
    > personality trait.
    >
    > "Arguing with an engineer is like mud wrestling with a pig... You soon find out the pig likes it!"
    > - Unknown
    >
    > Tom Sherman - Quad Cities USA (Illinois side) RANS "Wavewind" and Rocket, Earth Cycles Sunset and
    > Dragonflyer

  14. John Riley

    John Riley Guest

    Tell it to Jan and Dean:

    http://www.lyricsdomain.com/lyrics/5584/

    John Riley

    Tom Sherman wrote:

    > Joshua Goldberg wrote:
    > >
    > > ... (which included an on-board carport for his Jaguar XKE).
    >
    > I feel obliged to point out that the car is correctly referred to as the E-Type, as XKE was never
    > an official designation.

  15. John Riley

    John Riley Guest

    I did some looking around. It looks to me like XK-E is acceptable. But Jag model designations are
    pure Monty Python:

    http://www.coventrywest.com/tipofmonth9.htm

    (Obvioously there is a typo in the Jan and Dean link. No one, including Jan and Dean, ever called a
    Sting Ray a Sting-Ren.)

    John Riley

    John Riley wrote:

    > Tell it to Jan and Dean:
    >
    > http://www.lyricsdomain.com/lyrics/5584/
    >
    > John Riley
    >
    > Tom Sherman wrote:
    > >
    > > Joshua Goldberg wrote:
    > > >
    > > > ... (which included an on-board carport for his Jaguar XKE).
    > >
    > > I feel obliged to point out that the car is correctly referred to as the E-Type, as XKE was
    > > never an official designation.

  16. What I liked about the song was the line when the guy asks the ONLY important question on his
    mind....Hey Doc, hows my vette?
    "John Riley" <johnriley1@rogers.com> wrote in message news:3E3E707E.FFEF58D@rogers.com...
    > I did some looking around. It looks to me like XK-E is acceptable. But Jag model designations are
    > pure Monty Python:
    >
    > http://www.coventrywest.com/tipofmonth9.htm
    >
    > (Obvioously there is a typo in the Jan and Dean link. No one, including Jan and Dean, ever called
    > a Sting Ray a Sting-Ren.)
    >
    > John Riley
    >

    > John Riley wrote:
    > >
    > > Tell it to Jan and Dean:
    > >
    > > http://www.lyricsdomain.com/lyrics/5584/
    > >
    > > John Riley
    > >
    > > Tom Sherman wrote:

    > > > I feel obliged to point out that the car is correctly referred to as
    the
    > > > E-Type, as XKE was never an official designation.

  17. Harv

    Harv Guest

  18. "Joshua Goldberg" <salmagundi@sympatico.ca> wrote in message
    > U think a Corvair was a bad car, one of my uncles had a Corvair and it was a great Amphibious
    > Vehicle, we used to go fishing in it during the summers on Lake Champlain N.Y. With Twin Props it
    > moved through the water at a good speed. It has been a while, but I think it was called a Corvair
    > Monza. It was a car that you could also drive off the road and use as a boat. Guess the dual use
    > car concept never lasted beyond the late 1960's.

    Your uncles "Corvair" was an Amphicar, a German import from the
    60's they were quite seaworthy and in fact one crossed the English
    Channel in a publicity stunt. They both did have rear engines though.

    > As for the 25 mph Speed Limit question. Could be a liability issue..but I doubt it. Cold rolled
    > steel won't have much frame flex to it, so maybe at high speeds the frame is prone to
    > cracking....have no idea. Does seem like an odd thing to put in an Advert though.
    > "John Clarke" <jcswedes@comcast.net> wrote in message news:piidnWXEB-_IP6GjXTWc2Q@comcast.com...
    > > note : recommended speed limit: 25 mph Not that i've looked a a lot of bicycle sites, but i
    > > don't recall one with
    > > speed limit. Why, could somebody please tell me would such a limitation be necessary? Poor
    > > braking, bad welds? Perhaps Nader should check this one
    > out.
    > > Maybe he would list it with the Corvair "Unsafe at any speed"
    > >
    > > john clarke
    > >
    > > "ObenTo" <lsitter1@frontiernet.net> wrote in message news:v3ou9v4qsir46c@corp.supernews.com...
    > > > about 50+ of these on E-bay , any feed -back appreciated.
    > > >

    > http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=2705659533&category=2904

  19. Paul Bruneau

    Paul Bruneau Guest

    harv wrote: