Columbus, Indiana Road Cycling

Funseeker

Jul 6, 2010
I'm going to be in Columbus, Indiana next month for a week or so. The LBS web site gives the impression mountain biking is the main thing.

Can anyone give me an insight on road cycling there?

Thanks

But aren't those routes around Grandview Lake kind of dangerous? I've driven there and the roads were rolling and pretty narrow with big drop offs from the pavement to the dirt shoulders.

I don't know, I've never ridden there I just provided the map sites. But it can't be worse then when I use to ride the mountains of S California.

Froze said:
I don't know, I've never ridden there I just provided the map sites. But it can't be worse then when I use to ride the mountains of S California.

Thats cool.

I've been in that area before, just not as a biker.

Last time I drove what looks like the Granview loop. Coming over a rise I ran up on the back of a pickup towing a combine. That took up the whole road. Coming the other way was another pickup. Interesting watching them sort it out.

Thanks for the routes. I'll keep a lookout for someone who rides there.

I had a previous theard about Rollers on the old Forum, but it's gone. So i will ask again here. I have a Mag Trainer that is very boring to ride. I was wondering how would getting a set of Rollers help me, in making me a better & stronger Rider when included with my normal outdoor rides ?. I have seen the e-motion rollers, but they are out of my price range.

i break out my indoor training into 4 blocks of 25 minutes aerobic intensity, so i put on a solid 1:40 hours in total.
in between blocks i check email, use the telephone, get some paper work done, etc
hope this helps

So if i ride outside 3 or 4 days a week & then 2 or 3 days a week inside on Rollers. Would that be good or is that to much, also what afforadable brands of Rollers are good ?.

Originally Posted by vspa .

i break out my indoor training into 4 blocks of 25 minutes aerobic intensity, so i put on a solid 1:40 hours in total.
in between blocks i check email, use the telephone, get some paper work done, etc
hope this helps

In the same brand of the "e-motion" checkout the "Parabolic Roller", looks like a classic roller yet having great materials and construction, it should be closer to entry level costs.
Most of your training should be done outdoors but then again that depends on the weather, your location, your agenda, your commitments.
I think in general its good to ride 7/7 but some people take days off too.

What are good brands of Rollers, that dont cost a fortune or does it really matter ?.

Could someone please tell me which type of rollers is better, also which roller material is better Aluminum or Pvc/ Nylon ?. There is the Parabollic rollers & then there is the Traditional or normal rollers. Thank you.

at AMAZON there are 2 nice ones for less than 200 dollars, Cycleops & Minoura (with a 40% discount), new

on the one hand the Minoura's have the classic Roller's shape, which i like.
on the other hand the Tacx' brand sounds more familiar as for trainers and rollers products.
i think its up to you to decide since they are on similar price ranges,

other posters might have more suggestions ??

I ended up getting the cycelops rollers since my LBS had them in stock, they also hooked me up on the price. http://davidsworld.com/product/cycleops-pvc-rollers-41032-1.htm. So far i have ridden them twice for about 20 minutes each time. What would be a good routine to develop when using them, or should i just get on them & ride for a while ?. Even after only 20 min, i definitely felt more of a work out than when riding my Mag Trainer for 45 min.

I would suggest just riding them for a few weeks or whatever until you are very comfortable on them.
Then start designing specific workouts to meet your training goals.

Also learn to stand up every once in a while to relieve saddle pressure. This can be a bit tricky.
Reason: most rollers tend to put more tension on the crotch due to the slight upward angle they force the bike into (the rear wheel is often a bit lower between the rear rollers, while the front wheel is often perched on the top of the front roller).

I feel comfortable on them . But im not super smooth on them yet. I can stay towards the middle of the rollers for a several of minutes at a time, but i still wander some.

Originally Posted by GetSetGoSports .

I would suggest just riding them for a few weeks or whatever until you are very comfortable on them.
Then start designing specific workouts to meet your training goals.

Also learn to stand up every once in a while to relieve saddle pressure. This can be a bit tricky.
Reason: most rollers tend to put more tension on the crotch due to the slight upward angle they force the bike into (the rear wheel is often a bit lower between the rear rollers, while the front wheel is often perched on the top of the front roller).

Originally Posted by vspa .

In the same brand of the "e-motion" checkout the "Parabolic Roller", looks like a classic roller yet having great materials and construction, it should be closer to entry level costs.
Most of your training should be done outdoors but then again that depends on the weather, your location, your agenda, your commitments.
I think in general its good to ride 7/7 but some people take days off too.
Thanks for the info. on rollers and your suggestion on parabolic rollers. I needed to know more about them.I will check them out later.

I bought some secondhand at a pawn type shop here.
Look for some secondhand - they're likely to be cheaper in the Summer time too.

BBB/img/vbsmilies/smilies/smile.gif