Combatting misconceptions...

andrew_carter

Guest
I need some ideas for the start of our movie. I want to have some text
at the start informing non-unicyclists about certain things. At the
moment I have:

"All non-unicyclists please note...

'MUni' stands for mountain unicycling
...and we DO NOT land drops sitting down."

I really don't like the misconception that we somehow enjoy jumping off
things and landing sitting down with all our weight on the seat. :)

Any other things I should add?

Please forgive me if this is not Rec.Sport.Unicycling-worthy.

Thanks,
Andrew

--
andrew_carter - www.unicycles.com.au

andrew_carter (at) mail (dot) com
http://www.unicycles.com.au
New photos added 11/04 - http://www.unicyclist.com/gallery/albuu61

andrew_carter wrote:
> *I need some ideas for the start of our movie. I want to have some
> text at the start informing non-unicyclists about certain things. At
> the moment I have:
>
> "All non-unicyclists please note...
>
> 'MUni' stands for mountain unicycling
> ...and we DO NOT land drops sitting down."
> *

explaining the 2nd statement to non-unicyclists may be problematic ...

non-unicyclists don't know unicyclists' "land"

non-unicyclists don't know unicyclists' "drop"

non-unicyclists may not realize that one can sit on a uni

non-unicyclists may not realize that one can stand on a uni

and sometimes, in a video of a seat-in drop it may appear that the
landing _is_ made sitting down, because the transition from
legs-extended (standing) to seat is so fast it may happen between video
frames. I.e. the first frame that shows the wheel on the ground may
also show the butt on the seat.

--
duaner - -

duaner.
duaner's Profile: http://www.unicyclist.com/profile/4297

They'll soon realise all these things as soon as they watch the rest of
the video though, and if they didn't know them to start with, it will
whet their appetites

--
theamazingmolio - A Unicylist, a juggler, and a prat

Luke Duller ([email protected])
Never trust anything you read on the internet
theamazingmolio's Profile: http://www.unicyclist.com/profile/5931

Maybe change it to
MUni stands for Mountain UNIcycling...
And we DO NOT land sitting down.
If you want to make absolutely sure everyone understand what you mean,
show a 2sec clip of a drop.
> Any other things I should add?

"No balls where harmed during the making of this film"

--
Borges

"However, I confess that the ultimate wheel lacks the day to day
practicality of the conventional unicycle" -Mikefule
Borges's Profile: http://www.unicyclist.com/profile/925

Construction workers stopped to watch me ride today . . .

one started with "You lost some 'wheels'" (?!)
and continued with "that hurts my balls just looking at it"

non-riders don't know that we don't sit on our balls
they don't know that they could probably learn to ride if they tried
enough
they don't know that we don't like the redundant comments
they don't know that unicycling is a SPORT enjoyed by non-entertainers
they don't seem to know how we stop, slow down or "ride that thing"
they don't know that it is SAFER than most other sports

--
ChangingLINKS.com - member

Drew Brown
http://www.ChangingLINKS.com
ChangingLINKS.com's Profile: http://www.unicyclist.com/profile/5468

duaner wrote:
> *or "No balls where -permanently injured- during the making of this
> film" :| *

That's good, especially if you add "Except here." and show a great,
painful outtake. You can follow it up with something about "This is not
the recommended method."

Yes there's lots you can say to your audience. But show them first. You
could even do a dialogue with a bystanding non-rider, or imaginary one.
Then you could tackle the common questions one by one, such as "You
can't ride those uphill, can you?" and show it. Make sure you include
something about how people *can* learn to ride. The first thing toward
doing it is not closing yourself off from it. It amazes me how people do
that. It's okay to not be interested, but to be absolutely convinced
it's impossible for you to do is not the same thing.

--
johnfoss - Walkin' on the edge

John Foss, the Uni-Cyclone
"jfoss" at "unicycling.com"
www.unicycling.com

"Hey, could I have some of that spinach? I need to get this pork rind
taste out of my mouth." -- Ryan Atkins to Kris Holm, on the way back
from Moab after sampling some of my pork rinds. They grossed out the
whole van!

Yeah, I tell people when they ask me if it's hard, that it's hard at
first, but you gotta practice. I've had my unicycle out at the youth
center and of course a bunch of kids wanna ride it, so we juggle my 20
inch and 24" with my three different sized seats and posts between them,
and kids try to ride while two more hold them, it's hectic, but fun.
Noones really ridden by themselves, but I don't expect it, I think some
of them do, although I know if they had more then one or two tries
they'd get it eventually. But I think it's helping me at least by trying
to teach them, plus it's fun when they say, " can you ride that?" and
want to see me, even if I can only ride forward, hop, and idle for a
second.

Andrew

--
KJ-52 - unicycler

Originally posted by Logan_A.
Note this e-mail is baKsed oJn -a sto5ry a2nd mIay bSe fictKional oEr
conWtain fictiLonal elements. This should also not have been read by any
younger riders.

Can you find the hidden message?

KJ-52's Profile: http://www.unicyclist.com/profile/5614

duaner wrote:
> *
>
> I often remind people that it was hard to _learn_ to ride a b*ke. *

I prefer the line that I heard from someone here on RSU when I'm asked
if it's hard to learn to uni.

I reply with "It's hard to learn, but easy to do" :D

--
Krashin'Kenny - Crash Tested

If you ain't crashing, you ain't going fast enough!!!!!!!!!!!

Krashin'Kenny's Profile: http://www.unicyclist.com/profile/3420

> non-unicyclists may not buy it, but I know that when I buy a new uni
> movie, I show it to all of my non-unicycling friends.

Yes, that was my reasoning. Of course I don't expect any non-unicyclist
to go out and buy it!

Andrew

--

thinuniking wrote:
> *sorry to put the brakes on but how many non unicyclists do you think
> are going to buy this video anyway?? i mean do you buy skateboarding
> videos?
> Ben *

No but I download them...

--
Checkernuts - Me Fail English? That's Unpossible

No one said it was gonna be easy and I'm not afraid to try, with the
odds stacked up against me I will have to fight, One Life One Wheel got
to do it right. H20
Checkernuts's Profile: http://www.unicyclist.com/profile/801

andrew_carter wrote:
> *Yes, that was my reasoning. Of course I don't expect any
> non-unicyclist to go out and buy it!
>
> Andrew *

Then, why bother combating prejudice here?
Your friends know you well enough to know that if landing a drop felt
like being kicked in the crotch you probably wouldn't do it. Right?

--
Borges

"However, I confess that the ultimate wheel lacks the day to day
practicality of the conventional unicycle" -Mikefule
Borges's Profile: http://www.unicyclist.com/profile/925

I just reckon that somewhere along the way non-unicyclists (most likely
friends and family of unicyclists) that don't know these things will
probably see the movie. It's not like there's any harm done in adding
these few lines. A few of the titles have the word 'MUni' in them and I
thought that that at least could use some explaining.

There will be links to the movie (available for download) on
www.unicycles.com.au and there may be some not-yet-unicyclists watching
bits and pieces at some stage. I think it would help for them to know
these things.

Andrew