Combine Zipp 303 and 808?

CycleFast

Nov 12, 2005
I posted a question a few days back about the Zipp 808's. I've now decided that I'll get a pair, but I can't decide if I should get a PowerTap SL 2.4 with the set.

I have Ergomo on my TT bike, so first I though I'd just get a plain set of 808 without a power meter since I'm mainly using those wheels on that bike. I have a set of 303's on my normal bike which I use for climbing and road racing.

However, some of my most popular rides / races are on roads where the first couple of hours are dead flat, and the last couple of hours are in the mountains and/or rolling terrain. So I started to think, would it make sense to use the 808 backwheel and a 303 front wheel for these kind of races and rides? (in which case I would have to get the 808 with a PT so I can switch the 808 back wheel between my TT/Ergomo and plan/PT bike).

I just can't make up my mind, anybody have some thoughts on this to help me out? :confused:

CycleFast said:
I posted a question a few days back about the Zipp 808's. I've now decided that I'll get a pair, but I can't decide if I should get a PowerTap SL 2.4 with the set.

I have Ergomo on my TT bike, so first I though I'd just get a plain set of 808 without a power meter since I'm mainly using those wheels on that bike. I have a set of 303's on my normal bike which I use for climbing and road racing.

However, some of my most popular rides / races are on roads where the first couple of hours are dead flat, and the last couple of hours are in the mountains and/or rolling terrain. So I started to think, would it make sense to use the 808 backwheel and a 303 front wheel for these kind of races and rides? (in which case I would have to get the 808 with a PT so I can switch the 808 back wheel between my TT/Ergomo and plan/PT bike).

I just can't make up my mind, anybody have some thoughts on this to help me out? :confused:

OK, you obviously have the budget and inclination to spend alot of money on bicycle wheels. Why not get two 808's-one with and one without the PT so you can have whatever you want, whenever you want. Or perhaps get another Ergomo for the road bike and just get a regular 808.

The aerodynamics of the 808 will greatly outweigh the weight penalty. If you do to your local zipp dealer they should be able to show you some charts of the wattage the different wheels help save.