Combo shifter/brake levers for a 7-speed road bike



Status
Not open for further replies.
M

Mike

Guest
Greetings,

I have an older CrMo 7-speed road bike with SIS downtube shifters. I am considering installing a
set of 7-speed combination shifter/brake levers as a matter of convenience due frequent
alternation between group rides, TT and multisport training. I have encountered two seemingly
compatible products: Modolo morphos and Shimano 7-speed STI. Does anyone have any comments or
advice regarding this proposed upgrade, or experience with these products?

Thanks
 
K

Kbh

Guest
Your front derailleur may not be compatible with indexed shifting.

I wouldn't buy 7 speed STI. I would recommend buying 9 speed STI plus a 9 speed cassette, and then
fitting 8 of the cogs on your existing (presumably) 7 speed freehub. This way you will be 9 speed
capable should you ever replace your rear wheel, and you've just added a gear.

Kyle

"Mike" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:l%[email protected]...
> Greetings,
>
> I have an older CrMo 7-speed road bike with SIS downtube shifters. I
am
> considering installing a set of 7-speed combination shifter/brake levers
as
> a matter of convenience due frequent alternation between group rides, TT
and
> multisport training. I have encountered two seemingly compatible
products:
> Modolo morphos and Shimano 7-speed STI. Does anyone have any comments or advice regarding this
> proposed upgrade, or experience with these products?
>
> Thanks
 
K

Kbh

Guest
see:

http://www.sheldonbrown.com/k7.html

"KBH" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:[email protected]...
> Your front derailleur may not be compatible with indexed shifting.
>
> I wouldn't buy 7 speed STI. I would recommend buying 9 speed STI plus a
9
> speed cassette, and then fitting 8 of the cogs on your existing
(presumably)
> 7 speed freehub. This way you will be 9 speed capable should you ever replace your rear wheel, and
> you've just added a gear.
>
> Kyle
>
>
> "Mike" <[email protected]> wrote in message
> news:l%[email protected]...
> > Greetings,
> >
> > I have an older CrMo 7-speed road bike with SIS downtube shifters.
I
> am
> > considering installing a set of 7-speed combination shifter/brake levers
> as
> > a matter of convenience due frequent alternation between group rides, TT
> and
> > multisport training. I have encountered two seemingly compatible
> products:
> > Modolo morphos and Shimano 7-speed STI. Does anyone have any comments
or
> > advice regarding this proposed upgrade, or experience with these
products?
> >
> > Thanks
> >
>
 
J

Jon Isaacs

Guest
>Greetings,
>
> I have an older CrMo 7-speed road bike with SIS downtube shifters. I am considering installing
> a set of 7-speed combination shifter/brake levers as a matter of convenience due frequent
> alternation between group rides, TT and multisport training. I have encountered two seemingly
> compatible products: Modolo morphos and Shimano 7-speed STI. Does anyone have any comments or
> advice regarding this proposed upgrade, or experience with these products?
>
>Thanks

Not quite sure which 7 speed Shimano Shifters you are looking at. The RSXs I used for a while
worked OK.

However, I suggest considering 8 speed STI shifters, new if possible. These normally shift a 7 speed
Hyperglide cluster quite nicely and if you want to purchase a new wheel or a new freehub (if you
have a freehub) you will be ready for 8 speed.

Jon Isaacs
 
M

Mike

Guest
The existing wheelset utilizes a 12-21 7-speed freewheel. The wheels are constructed with Ambrosio
rims and Suzue hubs. Although the technology is dated, they perform quite well when compared to
their more modern counterparts (such as Shimano R535). The rear stays have the traditional 126mm
clearance, which I suspect can be spread to accommodate a 130mm (8/9 spd) wheel, if required.

I was hoping to avoid having to upgrade my wheelset (and possibly the drive train) to relieve
the need to frequently switch between downtube and bar end shifters. Hence the search for a
7-speed combo shifter/brake lever. My only options (to just upgrade the shifters) appear to the
Modolo Morphos and the Shimano Sora STI 7-speeds (model ST-3300-7). I have read mixed reviews on
each, and honestly, I have no experience with Modolo products or the Sora group.

Thanks

Mike <[email protected]> wrote in message news:l%[email protected]...
> Greetings,
>
> I have an older CrMo 7-speed road bike with SIS downtube shifters. I
am
> considering installing a set of 7-speed combination shifter/brake levers
as
> a matter of convenience due frequent alternation between group rides, TT
and
> multisport training. I have encountered two seemingly compatible
products:
> Modolo morphos and Shimano 7-speed STI. Does anyone have any comments or advice regarding this
> proposed upgrade, or experience with these products?
>
> Thanks
 
K

Kbh

Guest
Sora works great - and has adjustable reach if you have small hands.

"Mike" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:[email protected]...
> The existing wheelset utilizes a 12-21 7-speed freewheel. The wheels are constructed with
> Ambrosio rims and Suzue hubs. Although the
technology
> is dated, they perform quite well when compared to their more modern counterparts (such as Shimano
> R535). The rear stays have the traditional 126mm clearance, which I suspect can be spread to
> accommodate a 130mm (8/9 spd) wheel, if required.
>
> I was hoping to avoid having to upgrade my wheelset (and possibly the drive train) to relieve
> the need to frequently switch between downtube and bar end shifters. Hence the search for a
> 7-speed combo shifter/brake
lever.
> My only options (to just upgrade the shifters) appear to the Modolo
Morphos
> and the Shimano Sora STI 7-speeds (model ST-3300-7). I have read mixed reviews on each, and
> honestly, I have no experience with Modolo products
or
> the Sora group.
>
> Thanks
>
>
>
>
> Mike <[email protected]> wrote in message news:l%[email protected]...
> > Greetings,
> >
> > I have an older CrMo 7-speed road bike with SIS downtube shifters.
I
> am
> > considering installing a set of 7-speed combination shifter/brake levers
> as
> > a matter of convenience due frequent alternation between group rides, TT
> and
> > multisport training. I have encountered two seemingly compatible
> products:
> > Modolo morphos and Shimano 7-speed STI. Does anyone have any comments
or
> > advice regarding this proposed upgrade, or experience with these
products?
> >
> > Thanks
> >
>
 
P

Paul Kopit

Guest
If your rear hub is a freehub, meaning it takes cassetts, buy 9sp Shimano stuff and install 8 of the
9 cogs in a cassette. You'll need a 9sp chain.

If it is a 7sp freewheel, you may have luck shifting 9sp Ergo and Shimano rear derailleur. You could
likely keep your existing rear derailleur and Mirage Ergo can be bought for less than $100.

Consider barend shifters.

On Mon, 10 Feb 2003 21:13:21 -0500, "Mike" <[email protected]> wrote:

>Greetings,
>
> I have an older CrMo 7-speed road bike with SIS downtube shifters. I am considering installing
> a set of 7-speed combination shifter/brake levers as a matter of convenience due frequent
> alternation between group rides, TT and multisport training. I have encountered two seemingly
> compatible products: Modolo morphos and Shimano 7-speed STI. Does anyone have any comments or
> advice regarding this proposed upgrade, or experience with these products?
>
>Thanks
 
A

Andy M-S

Guest
"Mike" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:<l%[email protected]>...
> Greetings,
>
> I have an older CrMo 7-speed road bike with SIS downtube shifters. I am considering installing
> a set of 7-speed combination shifter/brake levers as a matter of convenience due frequent
> alternation between group rides, TT and multisport training. I have encountered two seemingly
> compatible products: Modolo morphos and Shimano 7-speed STI. Does anyone have any comments or
> advice regarding this proposed upgrade, or experience with these products?
>
> Thanks

Here's something completely different:

Campy 8-speed levers, combined with Shimano derailers, will shift a Shimano 7-speed system
*perfectly*. I have this setup on my daughter's road bike (an older Diamondback--it's even got a
biopace triple in front!!) and she's had no problems.

Although Campy Ergo levers are adaptable (8-speed levers can be upgraded to 9) and hence, slightly
harder to find used than Shimano STI, you can still find them for a very reasonable price. And their
very reparability makes them an excellent choice!
 
B

Bret Wade

Guest
Mike wrote:
> Greetings,
>
> I have an older CrMo 7-speed road bike with SIS downtube shifters. I am considering installing
> a set of 7-speed combination shifter/brake levers as a matter of convenience due frequent
> alternation between group rides, TT and multisport training. I have encountered two seemingly
> compatible products: Modolo morphos and Shimano 7-speed STI. Does anyone have any comments or
> advice regarding this proposed upgrade, or experience with these products?
>
> Thanks
>
>

I've used the Modolo Morphos for several years on my cyclocross bikes. I've only used them with 9sp
campy and shimano deraileurs, but am aware they can also be set up for 7sp shimano. They work well
if you don't mind the shifting being a bit sluggish. They're also a bit awkward out of the saddle.
The front shifter is **** and I replaced it with a barend. Mine came with very poorly adjusted
tension settings and didn't work at all at first. There's two 10mm hex nuts hidden under the hood
that set the up/down shifting tension. Once I got then set up right, they've been pretty reliable.

Bret
 
D

Dave Mayer

Guest
Mike: I was faced with this exact upgrade. If your rear derailleur is an indexing Shimano model, and
your (good) rear wheel has a freewheel (thread-on) hub, my advice:

- Get a new Shimano Hyperglide 7-speed freewheel and a modern chain.
- Then get some Sachs Ergopower 8-speed shifters.
- Since the Sachs units went out of production in the mid-90's, and are hard to find, then your next
best choice is some 7-speed STI shifters. NOS. I would not buy used STI shifters.
- If you cannot find the 7-speed units, 8-speed STI has close enough spacing to work.

Background info:

Campy 8-speed shifters pull about 3.5mm of cable per click. Shimano rear derailleurs have a
mechanical advantage of 1.67 to 1. Therefore this combination will move the rear derailleur about
5.8 mm per click. This makes this combination close to 6-speed Shimano SIS indexing.

Shimano 7-speed and Sachs 8-speed Ergo shifters pull 3mm of cable per click. Therefore, this
combination should index with Shimano indexing rear derailleurs.

Shimano 7-speed cogsets have 5.0mm cog center to center. 8 speed is 4.8mm center to center.

"Andy M-S" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
> "Mike" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:<l%[email protected]>...
> > Greetings,
> >
> > I have an older CrMo 7-speed road bike with SIS downtube shifters.
I am
> > considering installing a set of 7-speed combination shifter/brake levers
as
> > a matter of convenience due frequent alternation between group rides, TT
and
> > multisport training. I have encountered two seemingly compatible
products:
> > Modolo morphos and Shimano 7-speed STI. Does anyone have any comments
or
> > advice regarding this proposed upgrade, or experience with these
products?
> >
> > Thanks
>
> Here's something completely different:
>
> Campy 8-speed levers, combined with Shimano derailers, will shift a Shimano 7-speed system
> *perfectly*. I have this setup on my daughter's road bike (an older Diamondback--it's even got a
> biopace triple in front!!) and she's had no problems.
>
> Although Campy Ergo levers are adaptable (8-speed levers can be upgraded to 9) and hence, slightly
> harder to find used than Shimano STI, you can still find them for a very reasonable price. And
> their very reparability makes them an excellent choice!
 
A

A Muzi

Guest
"Mike" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:[email protected]...
> The existing wheelset utilizes a 12-21 7-speed freewheel. The wheels are constructed with
> Ambrosio rims and Suzue hubs. Although the
technology
> is dated, they perform quite well when compared to their more modern counterparts (such as Shimano
> R535). The rear stays have the traditional 126mm clearance, which I suspect can be spread to
> accommodate a 130mm (8/9 spd) wheel, if required.
>
> I was hoping to avoid having to upgrade my wheelset (and possibly the drive train) to relieve
> the need to frequently switch between downtube and bar end shifters. Hence the search for a
> 7-speed combo shifter/brake
lever.
> My only options (to just upgrade the shifters) appear to the Modolo
Morphos
> and the Shimano Sora STI 7-speeds (model ST-3300-7). I have read mixed reviews on each, and
> honestly, I have no experience with Modolo products
or
> the Sora group.
>
> Thanks
>
>
>
>
> Mike <[email protected]> wrote in message news:l%[email protected]...
> > Greetings,
> >
> > I have an older CrMo 7-speed road bike with SIS downtube shifters.
I
> am
> > considering installing a set of 7-speed combination shifter/brake levers
> as
> > a matter of convenience due frequent alternation between group rides, TT
> and
> > multisport training. I have encountered two seemingly compatible
> products:
> > Modolo morphos and Shimano 7-speed STI. Does anyone have any comments
or
> > advice regarding this proposed upgrade, or experience with these
products?

The Morphos works but is an unusual shape that some guys like and some don't. The only serious
problem I've had is "dry-firing" one (shifting with no gear wire installed). That can run the
carrier off the end of it's track and proves fatal.

--
Andrew Muzi http://www.yellowjersey.org Open every day since 1 April 1971
 
J

John Everett

Guest
On Wed, 12 Feb 2003 01:54:03 GMT, Paul Kopit <[email protected]> wrote:

>If your rear hub is a freehub, meaning it takes cassetts, buy 9sp Shimano stuff and install 8 of
>the 9 cogs in a cassette. You'll need a 9sp chain.

Lest someone think the above is universally true, it will not work for Uniglide freehubs. The
original poster has already clarified that his is a 7-speed freewheel, so that will not be a
problem for him.

Hyperglide freehubs have a indexing spline and are internally threaded for the retaining ring.
Uniglide freehubs will not accept Hyperglide cogs; they lack an indexing spline. Also the outer cog
screws onto external threads and serves to retain the cassette. There is no retaining ring.

jeverett3<AT>earthlink<DOT>net http://home.earthlink.net/~jeverett3
 
Status
Not open for further replies.