Come on, England !!!

drugs began to take hold. I remember DR
<[email protected]> saying something like:

>>'An hernia'

>But surely "a hernia" is acceptable as the "h" in "hernia" is
>aspirated? I sit ready to be corrected, however.

Sloppy Southern pronunciation.
--
Dave
GS850x2 XS650 SE6a

In article <[email protected]>, Grimly Curmudgeon wrote:
> We were somewhere around Barstow, on the edge of the desert, when the
> drugs began to take hold. I remember DR
><[email protected]> saying something like:
>
>>>'An hernia'

>>But surely "a hernia" is acceptable as the "h" in "hernia" is
>>aspirated? I sit ready to be corrected, however.

> Sloppy Southern pronunciation.

AKA 'grammatically correct pronounciation'..

Phil.

--
Phil Launchbury, IT PHB
Triumph Tiger 955i

<snip>

>>>No.
>>>
>>>I just prefer not to have the list cluttered up by thousands of
>>>messages I have no interest in.

>>Learn how to filter/kill/ignore them then like the rest of us!

>What on earth makes you think I don't?
>
>This is the second time you have suggested that, in spite of my quite
>clearly stating that I can do it with just two clicks.

I no longer care. I have tried to help but you just want to argue.

No one else has a problem - only you.

Your problem.

"Uno-Hoo!" <Uno-Hoo@NOSPAMbigfootdotcom> wrote in message

> My goodness, someone who actually feels the same way that I do! I've

always
> loathed football and everything to do with it! I watched about ten minutes
> of today's match in a final attempt to try and determine just *what* so

many
> people can find so fascinating. I failed - after ten minutes of total
> boredom watching a ball being kicked up the field and down the field I

just
> gave up. What a complete and utter waste of time and energy!
>
> Uno-Hoo!
>
> -------------------

Seems lots of people aren't so bored....

"The interesting thing about the TV Licensing Authoritiy's desperate
attempts to get their head around the displacements of terrestrial signals
with IP streaming is that they fundamentally fail to understand the
technology they're dealing with.
To quote your article: "If at any time you are watching TV over the Internet
at the same time as it is being broadcast you require a licence - and that
includes Internet streaming," she said.

Fab for us :) So we just turn on the time shift facility in most PC based TV
tuners and we don't have to have a licence? Cool, I'll timeshift by 20
seconds thanks.

But such a statement is pretty dumb, because it muddies the water
considerably and shows that the TVLA is being misleading.

Time-shifting isn't permitted at all if you are the one consuming and making
the recording of a broadcast. The TVLA shouldn't imply that just broadcasts
"at the same time" require licences, and implicitly that those recordings
that are later viewed do not.

The BBC is streaming the football via Real Media, and tuning into the stream
does NOT require a licence. The TVLA's quote implying that internet
streaming does require a license is again, misleading... it only applies to
a broadcast signal.

The licensing rules are explicitly clear that you require a licence as soon
as you "consume a broadcast television signal". This means that if you have
*and use* a device capable of receiving the broadcast signal, such as a TV,
a TV tuner card, etc... than yes you require a licence.

But the BBC stream via Real Media is *not* the broadcast signal. It does
*not* require a TV tuner. And the TV license does *not* broadly apply to all
internet streaming and consumption of video of the world cup, even in real
time (or as close as streaming gets).

More details on licensing can be found here: http://www.jifvik.org/tv/ .
It's a lot bloody clearer than what is usually spouted from the font of
misinformation known as the TVLA!"

--
John
GMails - Our Caravanning bit of the web

Phil Launchbury wrote:

> AKA 'grammatically correct pronounciation'..

<pedant>
pronunciation
</pedant>
--
Regards
Alex

In article <[email protected]>, Alex Potter wrote:
> Phil Launchbury wrote:
>
>> AKA 'grammatically correct pronounciation'..

><pedant>
> pronunciation
></pedant>

<Bows in contrition>

<Aside: Cursed pedants! Who will rid me of this turbulent one?>

Phil

--
Phil Launchbury, IT PHB
Triumph Tiger 955i
'I'm training the bats that live in my cube
to juggle mushrooms'

On Thu, 15 Jun 2006 11:52:02 +0100, Westy
<[email protected]> wrote:

><snip>

>>>Learn how to filter/kill/ignore them then like the rest of us!

>>What on earth makes you think I don't?
>>
>>This is the second time you have suggested that, in spite of my quite
>>clearly stating that I can do it with just two clicks.

>I no longer care. I have tried to help but you just want to argue.

Rubbish.

You have not tried to help at all.

Just told me that I am not using agent "properly", and that I am only
making "basic" use of it.

But that doesn't matter, because I neither need nor want any "help"
whatsoever.

>No one else has a problem - only you.
>
>Your problem.

Wrong.

I have no problem.

And I have never suggested I have any problem.
--
Alex Heney, Global Villager
Cause of crash: Inadvertent contact with the ground.

Is this the Phil Launchbury I used to know from Swindon?

Regards

Nigel Hopper † <><

"He who waits on God loses no time." - Vance Havner

In article <44917712$1@kcnews03>, Nigel Hopper wrote:

> Is this the Phil Launchbury I used to know from Swindon?

Entirely possible. I know of only 1 person called Phil Launchbury and I
do live in Swindon..

Which company was it? Galileo?

Phil

--
Phil Launchbury, IT PHB
Triumph Tiger 955i
'I'm training the bats that live in my cube
to juggle mushrooms'

drugs began to take hold. I remember Phil Launchbury
<[email protected]> saying something like:

>>>But surely "a hernia" is acceptable as the "h" in "hernia" is
>>>aspirated? I sit ready to be corrected, however.

>> Sloppy Southern pronunciation.

>AKA 'grammatically correct pronounciation'..

OhKay....

What is a 'nernia', when it's at home?
--
Dave
GS850x2 XS650 SE6a
Teeth of the Jungle.
Folding@Home Team UKRM http://www.tinyurl.com/jkxwv

"Champ" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
> On Sun, 11 Jun 2006 20:58:39 +0100, "Uno-Hoo!"
> <Uno-Hoo@NOSPAMbigfootdotcom> wrote:
>
>>What ticks me off is the way the WC suddently becomes the
>>major news story - as if any of it actually *matters* in the long run!

> *Nothing* matters in the long run.

True.

We're all going to end up on some universal compost heap, even f**tb*ll*rs
and their g*rlfr**nds.

Mary

On Thu, 15 Jun 2006 17:02:41 +0100, "Mary Fisher"
<[email protected]> wrote:

>"Champ" <[email protected]> wrote in message
>news:[email protected]...
>> On Sun, 11 Jun 2006 20:58:39 +0100, "Uno-Hoo!"
>> <Uno-Hoo@NOSPAMbigfootdotcom> wrote:
>>
>>>What ticks me off is the way the WC suddently becomes the
>>>major news story - as if any of it actually *matters* in the long run!

>> *Nothing* matters in the long run.

>True.
>
>We're all going to end up on some universal compost heap, even f**tb*ll*rs
>and their g*rlfr**nds.

Quite so.

I'm not sure I'm finding nihilism a very rewarding personal
philosophy, mind.

--
Champ

ZX10R
GPz750turbo
My advice as your attorney is to buy a motorcycle

drugs began to take hold. I remember Champ <[email protected]> saying
something like:

>>We're all going to end up on some universal compost heap, even f**tb*ll*rs
>>and their g*rlfr**nds.

>Quite so.
>
>I'm not sure I'm finding nihilism a very rewarding personal
>philosophy, mind.

You get used to it. Once you realise that everything is futile, you can
just get on with enjoying yourself, and laughing at those who think
there's a point to it all.

--
Dave
GS850x2 XS650 SE6a
Teeth of the Jungle.
Folding@Home Team UKRM http://www.tinyurl.com/jkxwv

"Grimly Curmudgeon" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
> We were somewhere around Barstow, on the edge of the desert, when the
> drugs began to take hold. I remember Phil Launchbury
> <[email protected]> saying something like:

>>> Sloppy Southern pronunciation.

>>AKA 'grammatically correct pronounciation'..

> OhKay....
>
> What is a 'nernia', when it's at home?
> --

Isnt that something to do with The Lion, the Witch and the Wardrobe?

McK.

On Thu, 15 Jun 2006 21:18:35 +0100, Grimly Curmudgeon
<[email protected]> wrote:

>We were somewhere around Barstow, on the edge of the desert, when the
>drugs began to take hold. I remember Champ <[email protected]> saying
>something like:
>
>>>We're all going to end up on some universal compost heap, even f**tb*ll*rs
>>>and their g*rlfr**nds.

>>Quite so.
>>
>>I'm not sure I'm finding nihilism a very rewarding personal
>>philosophy, mind.

>You get used to it. Once you realise that everything is futile, you can
>just get on with enjoying yourself, and laughing at those who think
>there's a point to it all.

Enjoying myself - check
Laughing at others - check

Yet still...I watched that series on BBC2 recently called The Happines
Formula - nothing really new in it, but it did show that those who can
assign a 'purpose' to their lives usually report higher levels of
happiness. Of course, that purpose can be religious, or vocational
(being a teacher, a doctor, etc), or even restoring old steam engines.
I suspect I need another hobby...
--
Champ

ZX10R
GPz750turbo
My advice as your attorney is to buy a motorcycle

drugs began to take hold. I remember Champ <[email protected]> saying
something like:

>Yet still...I watched that series on BBC2 recently called The Happines
>Formula - nothing really new in it, but it did show that those who can
>assign a 'purpose' to their lives usually report higher levels of
>happiness. Of course, that purpose can be religious, or vocational
>(being a teacher, a doctor, etc), or even restoring old steam engines.
>I suspect I need another hobby...

Well, yes; it's nice to make a difference to world in some small way.
Poisonally, I get a slight frisson when I install a heating or
electrical system and the thing works first time. Same as when I make
something from scratch, having hewed it out of a block of metal or the
very fabric of the universe.

Ultimately, though, we're all waiting for Death and none of what we do
will mean a thing when the Earth is a glowing ball of cinders.
--
Dave
GS850x2 XS650 SE6a
Teeth of the Jungle.
Folding@Home Team UKRM http://www.tinyurl.com/jkxwv

On Thu, 15 Jun 2006 23:14:38 +0100, Grimly Curmudgeon
<[email protected]> wrote:

>We were somewhere around Barstow, on the edge of the desert, when the
>drugs began to take hold. I remember Champ <[email protected]> saying
>something like:
>
>>Yet still...I watched that series on BBC2 recently called The Happines
>>Formula - nothing really new in it, but it did show that those who can
>>assign a 'purpose' to their lives usually report higher levels of
>>happiness. Of course, that purpose can be religious, or vocational
>>(being a teacher, a doctor, etc), or even restoring old steam engines.
>>I suspect I need another hobby...

>Well, yes; it's nice to make a difference to world in some small way.
>Poisonally, I get a slight frisson when I install a heating or
>electrical system and the thing works first time. Same as when I make
>something from scratch, having hewed it out of a block of metal or the
>very fabric of the universe.

Sure. I used to get a lot pleasure from working on the race bike, and
the racing itself. Maybe I need to do it again...

>Ultimately, though, we're all waiting for Death and none of what we do
>will mean a thing when the Earth is a glowing ball of cinders.

You should get on the lecture circuit.
--
Champ

ZX10R
GPz750turbo

drugs began to take hold. I remember Champ <[email protected]> saying
something like:

>>Ultimately, though, we're all waiting for Death and none of what we do
>>will mean a thing when the Earth is a glowing ball of cinders.

>You should get on the lecture circuit.

I don't think they could handle it.
--
Dave
GS850x2 XS650 SE6a
Teeth of the Jungle.
Folding@Home Team UKRM http://www.tinyurl.com/jkxwv

"Champ" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...

> I'm not sure I'm finding nihilism a very rewarding personal
> philosophy, mind.

Well, just carry on as though it weren't there. It won't make any difference
to anything :)

Mary