come on NSW lift your game

Discussion in 'Australia and New Zealand' started by MPCRUSHER, Sep 27, 2007.

1. MPCRUSHER

MPCRUSHER New Member

Is anyone else out there frustrated at the lack of any real stage race in NSW? We used to have the Bank Classic, and there is no reason it couldn't have continued to grow in stature with the right amount of government and corporate support similar to what the the SA government has done with the tour down under.
    I place a lot of the blame on cycling NSW for failing to be actively promoting the sport as well as lobying hard for adequate government support in terms of allowing areas of the cities to be used and for the ridiculous police restrictions on races.
    I also blame the state government for dropping the ball on sport in NSW in general since the olympic games were held here.

I propose a stage race that starts and ends in Sydney of around 10 days. Head up north and loop back down to the Illawarra and surrounding areas finishing outside opera house.

anyone else got a decent parcours in mind?

Tags:

2. matagi

matagi Well-Known Member

The Commonwealth Bank Cycle Classic died because the Comm Bank withdrew its sponsorship and nobody else stepped up to the plate.

The NSW government appears to be supremely disinterested in anything to do with cycling and consequently disinclined to fund anything. As for our state cycling organisation(s) - I think the most appropriate decription would be " a joke".

3. 1id10t

1id10t New Member

Do we have a state cycling organisation? Wow, I guess I didn't realise given the lack of any real promotion of cycling as something other than a childs activity.