Comfort Food Tonight

Discussion in 'Food and nutrition' started by Dog3, Sep 18, 2005.

  1. Dog3

    Dog3 Guest

    Went to the flea market in Belleville today. I bought a bunch of stuff and
    some jerky from a guy I know. I met a friend for lunch and had a spinach
    salad with iced tea to drink. My friend had a burger, onion rings and 5
    beers. We split some buffalo wings before lunch.

    After I got home, I did yard work and harvested what will probably be the
    last of the chili peppers from the garden.

    As we speak, I'm simmering swiss steak. I pounded some round steak, cut it
    into large pieces, dreged it in seasoned flour, browned it on all sides.
    Then I smothered it with slices of onion and about 1/2 pound of sliced
    white mushrooms. I topped it all off with a couple of cans of diced
    tomatoes and seasoned it again. I'll cook it for about 1 1/2 hours and
    taste it to see what else it needs. Sides are steamed carrots, mashed and
    gravy, peas and a green salad. Nothing fancy. No dessert tonight. I OD'd on
    candy today.

    Michael <- snapped up a bunch of Halloween candy at the drug store. The
    candy will never see Halloween.

    --
    Send email to dog30 at charter dot net

    Tags:

  2. In article <[email protected]>,
    Dog3 <[email protected]> wrote:

    > Went to the flea market in Belleville today. I bought a bunch of stuff and
    > some jerky from a guy I know. I met a friend for lunch and had a spinach
    > salad with iced tea to drink. My friend had a burger, onion rings and 5
    > beers. We split some buffalo wings before lunch.
    >
    > After I got home, I did yard work and harvested what will probably be the
    > last of the chili peppers from the garden.
    >
    > As we speak, I'm simmering swiss steak. I pounded some round steak, cut it
    > into large pieces, dreged it in seasoned flour, browned it on all sides.
    > Then I smothered it with slices of onion and about 1/2 pound of sliced
    > white mushrooms. I topped it all off with a couple of cans of diced
    > tomatoes and seasoned it again. I'll cook it for about 1 1/2 hours and
    > taste it to see what else it needs. Sides are steamed carrots, mashed and
    > gravy, peas and a green salad. Nothing fancy. No dessert tonight. I OD'd on
    > candy today.
    >
    > Michael <- snapped up a bunch of Halloween candy at the drug store. The
    > candy will never see Halloween.

    Sounds like a good day...... :)
    --
    Om.

  3. Katherine

    Katherine Guest

    Dog3 wrote:
    > Went to the flea market in Belleville today. I bought a bunch of
    > stuff and some jerky from a guy I know. I met a friend for lunch and
    > had a spinach salad with iced tea to drink. My friend had a burger,
    > onion rings and 5 beers. We split some buffalo wings before lunch.
    >
    > After I got home, I did yard work and harvested what will probably be
    > the last of the chili peppers from the garden.
    >
    > As we speak, I'm simmering swiss steak. I pounded some round steak,
    > cut it into large pieces, dreged it in seasoned flour, browned it on
    > all sides. Then I smothered it with slices of onion and about 1/2
    > pound of sliced white mushrooms. I topped it all off with a couple
    > of cans of diced tomatoes and seasoned it again. I'll cook it for
    > about 1 1/2 hours and taste it to see what else it needs. Sides are
    > steamed carrots, mashed and gravy, peas and a green salad. Nothing
    > fancy. No dessert tonight. I OD'd on candy today.
    >
    > Michael <- snapped up a bunch of Halloween candy at the drug store.
    > The candy will never see Halloween.

    I love swiss steak. Is it really necessary to dredge it in flour, though?
    I had meatloaf and scalloped potatoes.

    Katherine

  4. Dog3

    Dog3 Guest

    "Katherine" <[email protected]> wrote in
    news:[email protected]:

    > I love swiss steak. Is it really necessary to dredge it in flour, though?
    > I had meatloaf and scalloped potatoes.
    >
    > Katherine

    I don't know about the dredging Katherine. I doubt if it's necessary to
    dredge it, but maybe someone else will have a more definite answer.
    Dredging meat for swiss steak is something I learned somewhere, and have
    been doing it for decades. I do not coat the meat heavily and the flour
    makes wonderful little crusty bits. I deglaze the pan with whatever liquid
    I'm in the mood for and make onion gravy out of the drippings and crusty
    bits.

    --

  5. On Mon, 19 Sep 2005 00:47:21 GMT, Dog3 <[email protected]> wrote:

    >As we speak, I'm simmering swiss steak. I pounded some round steak, cut it
    >into large pieces, dreged it in seasoned flour, browned it on all sides.
    >Then I smothered it with slices of onion and about 1/2 pound of sliced
    >white mushrooms. I topped it all off with a couple of cans of diced
    >tomatoes and seasoned it again. I'll cook it for about 1 1/2 hours and
    >taste it to see what else it needs. Sides are steamed carrots, mashed and
    >gravy, peas and a green salad. Nothing fancy. No dessert tonight. I OD'd on
    >candy today.

    Sounds a little bit like my dinner.

    Cut about 10 ounces of sirloin steak into cubes. Browned it, then
    added a thickly sliced onion, some diced celery, and the last of the
    cabbage, shredded.

    Sauteed all this for a few minutes, then added a bottle of beer, two
    packets of OXO powder (didn't want to use the good stuff, 'cause I was
    trying to be thrifty), and 2 cups of diced tomatoes. Plus a couple of
    tablespoons of worcestershire.

    When everything was suitably stewed, I added a couple of handfuls of
    baby carrots, plus one quartered potato for the DH. Thickened it all
    up with a bit of corn starch.

    This was incredibly rich. I usually make stew with wine, but I tried
    beer for a change and was pleasantly surprized. I let the liquid
    reduce quite a bit before I thickened it.

    Served the above with a bottle of cheap California red wine.

  6. Dog3

    Dog3 Guest

    Jo Anne Slaven <[email protected]> wrote in
    news:[email protected]:

    > On Mon, 19 Sep 2005 00:47:21 GMT, Dog3 <[email protected]> wrote:
    >

    >>As we speak, I'm simmering swiss steak. I pounded some round steak,
    >>cut it into large pieces, dreged it in seasoned flour, browned it on
    >>all sides. Then I smothered it with slices of onion and about 1/2
    >>pound of sliced white mushrooms. I topped it all off with a couple of
    >>cans of diced tomatoes and seasoned it again. I'll cook it for about
    >>1 1/2 hours and taste it to see what else it needs. Sides are steamed
    >>carrots, mashed and gravy, peas and a green salad. Nothing fancy. No
    >>dessert tonight. I OD'd on candy today.

    > Sounds a little bit like my dinner.
    >
    > Cut about 10 ounces of sirloin steak into cubes. Browned it, then
    > added a thickly sliced onion, some diced celery, and the last of the
    > cabbage, shredded.
    >
    > Sauteed all this for a few minutes, then added a bottle of beer, two
    > packets of OXO powder (didn't want to use the good stuff, 'cause I was
    > trying to be thrifty), and 2 cups of diced tomatoes. Plus a couple of
    > tablespoons of worcestershire.
    >
    > When everything was suitably stewed, I added a couple of handfuls of
    > baby carrots, plus one quartered potato for the DH. Thickened it all
    > up with a bit of corn starch.
    >
    > This was incredibly rich. I usually make stew with wine, but I tried
    > beer for a change and was pleasantly surprized. I let the liquid
    > reduce quite a bit before I thickened it.
    >
    > Served the above with a bottle of cheap California red wine.

    Sounds very good. I probably would have carbed myself to death and served
    it over buttered egg noodles ;)

    Michael

    --

  7. On Tue 20 Sep 2005 08:42:29p, Jo Anne Slaven wrote in rec.food.cooking:

    > On Mon, 19 Sep 2005 00:47:21 GMT, Dog3 <[email protected]> wrote:
    >

    >>As we speak, I'm simmering swiss steak. I pounded some round steak, cut
    >>it into large pieces, dreged it in seasoned flour, browned it on all
    >>sides. Then I smothered it with slices of onion and about 1/2 pound of
    >>sliced white mushrooms. I topped it all off with a couple of cans of
    >>diced tomatoes and seasoned it again. I'll cook it for about 1 1/2
    >>hours and taste it to see what else it needs. Sides are steamed
    >>carrots, mashed and gravy, peas and a green salad. Nothing fancy. No
    >>dessert tonight. I OD'd on candy today.

    > Sounds a little bit like my dinner.
    >
    > Cut about 10 ounces of sirloin steak into cubes. Browned it, then
    > added a thickly sliced onion, some diced celery, and the last of the
    > cabbage, shredded.

    When I was 19 and in college, an older friend of mine served the following
    dish to me and taught me how to make it. It's still one of my favorites.

    * Exported from MasterCook *

    Seaman's Beef

    Recipe By :
    Serving Size : 0 Preparation Time :0:00
    Categories :

    1 1/2 Pounds Stew Meat
    3 yellow onions
    12 Small Potatoes
    2 Tablespoons Butter
    1/3 Cup Water
    2 teaspoons Salt
    1/2 Teaspoon Black Pepper -- freshly ground
    1 Pint Good Dark Beer
    2 Tablespoons Chopped Fresh Parsley

    Cut the meat into one-inch pieces, peel and slice the onions and potatoes,
    fry the onions in a little of the cooking fat over medium heat.

    Increase the heat and brown the meat together with the onions and the rest
    of the cooking fat. Take up the meat and the onions, wipe out the frying
    pan
    with the water. save this meat and onion "juice".

    Put the potatoes, onions and meat in layers in a casserole. Start and end
    with potatoes. Season with salt and pepper between the layers. Pour in the
    "juice" from frying pan.

    Pour the beer into the casserole and let simmer over very low heat, about
    50-60 minutes, until the meat is tender. Sprinkle the chopped parsley over
    and serve.

    --
    Wayne Boatwright *¿*

    Not all people are annoying. Some are dead.

  8. aem

    aem Guest

    Wayne Boatwright wrote:

    > When I was 19 and in college, an older friend of mine served the following
    > dish to me and taught me how to make it. It's still one of my favorites.
    > [snip recipe]

    Excellent. I make something very similar, using beef shanks instead of
    stew meat, and adding a couple sprigs of thyme and a couple cloves of
    garlic. The shanks don't lend themselves to the layering business, but
    the other ingredients and method are the same. -aem

  9. On Tue 20 Sep 2005 10:45:44p, aem wrote in rec.food.cooking:

    > Wayne Boatwright wrote:
    >>
    >> When I was 19 and in college, an older friend of mine served the

    following
    >> dish to me and taught me how to make it. It's still one of my

    favorites.
    >> [snip recipe]

    > Excellent. I make something very similar, using beef shanks instead of
    > stew meat, and adding a couple sprigs of thyme and a couple cloves of
    > garlic. The shanks don't lend themselves to the layering business, but
    > the other ingredients and method are the same. -aem

    I'll have to try the beef shanks. Never thought of using them in this
    recipe, although I use them in soup.

    Here's another one I make with the potatoes on the side...

    Carbonnade of Beef Flamande

    2 lb. steak, cut into 2-inch cubes
    3 onions sliced thin
    2 tbsp. butter and olive oil
    1 slice French bread or honey cakes from Belgium
    Dijon mustard
    1/4 tsp. thyme
    2 bay leaves
    1 bottle dark or light beer – From Belgium, Holland, or Germany
    Some water
    1 tbsp. brown sugar
    2 tsp. wine vinegar

    Warm the oil and butter in pan. Add the steak cubes in stages and cook
    until lightly brown and then set the meat aside. Add the onions to the pan
    and cook until golden. Add back the meat. Season according to taste.

    Spread the Dijon mustard over one side of bread and place the mustard side
    atop the meat. I used three small slices of honey cake.

    Add the beer, water, thyme, sugar, vinegar, and the bay leaves. Slow cook
    in the oven at about 350 degrees or so for about two hours.

    This can be served with crisp thin cut French fries or boiled potatoes.
    Garnish with parsley.

    --
    Wayne Boatwright *¿*

    Not all people are annoying. Some are dead.

  10. -L.

    -L. Guest

    Dog3 wrote:

    > I don't know about the dredging Katherine. I doubt if it's necessary to
    > dredge it, but maybe someone else will have a more definite answer.
    > Dredging meat for swiss steak is something I learned somewhere, and have
    > been doing it for decades. I do not coat the meat heavily and the flour
    > makes wonderful little crusty bits.

    That's how my Mom always made it - and included onions and peppers with
    the tomatoes instead of your mushrooms (which sounds delicious, BTW).
    I haven't made it in years. Will have to try it next time we get some
    buffalo.

    What seasonings do you use?

    -L.

  11. Dog3

    Dog3 Guest

    "-L." <[email protected]> wrote in
    news:[email protected]:

    > Dog3 wrote:
    >>
    >> I don't know about the dredging Katherine. I doubt if it's necessary to
    >> dredge it, but maybe someone else will have a more definite answer.
    >> Dredging meat for swiss steak is something I learned somewhere, and have
    >> been doing it for decades. I do not coat the meat heavily and the flour
    >> makes wonderful little crusty bits.

    > That's how my Mom always made it - and included onions and peppers with
    > the tomatoes instead of your mushrooms (which sounds delicious, BTW).
    > I haven't made it in years. Will have to try it next time we get some
    > buffalo.
    >
    > What seasonings do you use?
    >
    > -L.

    I use S&P, a little onion and garlic powder and that's about it. Sometimes
    I'll put in a bay leaf but not always. Depends on my mood.

    Michael

    --
    Send email to dog30 at charter dot net

  12. Dog3