Comfortable road bike seat for a woman?

Discussion in 'The Bike Cafe' started by Brianstoiber, Jun 28, 2014.

1. Brianstoiber

Brianstoiber New Member

I have been riding for about 13 years and have never had a problem with my seats. My wife got a bike 2 years ago and has only been out maybe 10-15 times. We went on a ride yeaterday (first for her in over a year) and she is all bruised down there. She is wearing padded shorts and is on a standard road seat (narrow and hard). She didn't have this problem the last 2 years but after just one ride she is having a hard time sitting down comfortably on anything.

Are there any women out there, or any men that can ask their significant others, friends or anyone else for a very comfortable padded road seat for her bike?

Tags:

2. alfeng

alfeng Well-Known Member

FWIW. The "standard" BROOKS B17 is much w-i-d-e-r than most "plastic" saddles ...

And, it is said to be the preferred saddle for "long distance tourists" ...

People who say they have tried a Brooks-or-equivalent saddle and found them to be excrutiatingly uncomfortable probably did NOT lower the seatpost to accommodate the greater rail-to-top-of-the-saddle dimension OR they are straddling the nose of the saddle rather than sitting on the back of the saddle ...

• I believe that the LATTER rider position where the nose is being straddled is also a reason that some people have found it difficult to find a comfortable saddle that is, I am amazed when the rear edge of the saddle of any rider(s) in front of me is visible when any of those riders is seated!!!

The Brooks B67 is even wider than a "standard" B17 and weighs-a-ton ...

The Brooks Professional is NOT as wide as the "standard" B17.

The Brooks B17 "Narrow" is narrower than the Brooks Professional and is slightly wider than the typical "narrow and hard" saddle -- the B17 "narrow" and the now-vintage Selle Italia Flight & Selle Italia Turbo + San Marco Rolls (to name just three of many) are probably (?) about the same width.

The woman's version of the FIZIK Vitesse (if it is available) is a comfortable saddle, BTW. It may be infinitesimally wider than Selle Italia Flight saddle.

BTW. BEFORE you pony up for a Brooks saddle (you can usually buy barely "used" BROOKS saddles on eBay for <$80 -- if it doesn't work after about three medium length rides, then you can resell it for about what you paid for it) OR any other saddle, you may find that simply lowering your wife's bike's current saddle by ~1/4" AND/OR ensuring that she is not straddling the nose may resolve her discomfort.

3. AyeYo

AyeYo Member

Cannot confirm from first-hand experience yet, but this is what I plan on buying for my gf who has just started riding and is complaining of pain no matter what saddle she tries or how it's adjusted. I've researched it for awhile and this saddle has by far the most recommendations and best reviews of any women's saddle I've come across. Plus, Selle Italia makes good quality stuff and I love my Selle saddle.

http://www.amazon.com/Selle-Italia-Womens-Bicycle-Saddle/dp/B001VEIYZC/ref=pd_sim_sbs_sg_1?ie=UTF8&refRID=1RN2GSV6G243ZF2HSASE

4. alfeng

alfeng Well-Known Member

FWIW & FYI. I am compelled to make the following observation ...

You are not alone in misuse the name "Selle" for either "Selle Italia" or simply "Italia" ...

But, it is (has been for a l-o-n-g time) a little distracting (to me) because (unless things have changed), "selle" means SADDLE ...

And, the brand name is "Italia" ...

And not "Selle."

It is, after all, Selle San Marco ...

Hmmm. Yes, maybe I am right!?!

I know people of Italian heritage (another Amurikan, of course) who make the same mistake ... I guess it may be "cool" to (mis-)use a shorthand label ...

• and, of course, I suppose that how us Amurkans use a word should become THE imparted meaning, n'est-ce pas? on the other hand, I think it might be better if ​WE aren't unnecessarily "Ugly Americans" ...
    • and, try to use the appellation "Italia" or "Selle Italia" when referring to saddles from THAT saddle maker rather than just "Selle."

5. AyeYo

AyeYo Member

lol nice, learn something new every day. That explains the multiple "selle" brands.

6. mpre53

mpre53 Well-Known Member

Too bad that the Italian spammer in the Equipment forum was tossed. I was having a nice review course reading his posts. [​IMG]

7. jhuskey

jhuskey Moderator

Terri makes the best comfort saddles for women IMO.

8. alfeng

alfeng Well-Known Member

I do not know about TERRY's current saddles ...

But, in the past she had some-or-all of them produced by Selle Italia.

9. jhuskey

jhuskey Moderator

My wife used two different Terry Saddles and liked them better than anything else she used before. I use a Terry saddle now and like it better than the Selle, the Fizik and the Specialized.I must have gone through at least a dozen different types. The bottom line, pun intended, every butt is different.