comfortable saddle recommendation?

Discussion in 'Road Cycling' started by Fred, Jun 8, 2003.

  1. Fred

    Fred Guest

    I have a Bianchi Veloce that has a saddle that is killing me. Nice bike otherwise. I'd like
    something more comfortable in a saddle. Gel?, suspension? any recommendations? Thanks

    Fred

    Tags:

  2. Ken

    Ken Guest

    "Fred" <[email protected]> wrote in news:0BNEa.2007$cN3.751485977 @twister1.starband.net:
    > I have a Bianchi Veloce that has a saddle that is killing me. Nice bike otherwise. I'd like
    > something more comfortable in a saddle. Gel?, suspension? any recommendations? Thanks

    Selle Italia Flite

  3. Wayne Menzie

    Wayne Menzie Guest

    "Fred" <[email protected]> wrote in news:[email protected]:

    > I have a Bianchi Veloce that has a saddle that is killing me. Nice bike otherwise. I'd like
    > something more comfortable in a saddle. Gel?, suspension? any recommendations?

    Saddles are a very personal item. What works for me may be a torture device for you, depending on
    your anatomy. With that being said, there are two saddles that I've tried and liked very much:

    The WTB Speed V Comp is a good, inexpensive saddle. It's a bit on the heavy side but it does the job
    just fine. It has a synthetic cover and a split-saddle design (I believe they call it a 'love
    channel'). I rode one of these when I first got back on my bike after a 5 year layoff. Actually, I
    first rode a horrible Schwinn Stingray retro-saddle that hurt me in ways that I never imagined I
    could hurt, but that's another story for another time.

    Now I ride a Koobi AU Enduro. They also use a split saddle but they call it Splitfit Technology
    (isn't marketing fun?). It's a similar design to the WTB saddle but the split is more dramatic and
    includes a fully split nose. It's also lighter, has a leather cover and is more comfortable than the
    WTB. Koobi is an excellent company to deal with and they have a 30 day return policy so you can pick
    up one of their saddles to try out if they interest you.

    I suppose someday I'll try a Brooks saddle and become a convert so don't rule out one of those
    either. Maybe I'll sell* these two saddles to finance some B-17 nirvana. Hope this helps.

    --
    Wayne Menzie

    * inquiries welcome for either saddle

  4. Zeldabee

    Zeldabee Guest

    Wayne Menzie <[email protected]> wrote:

    > I suppose someday I'll try a Brooks saddle and become a convert so don't rule out one of those
    > either. Maybe I'll sell* these two saddles to finance some B-17 nirvana. Hope this helps.

    That's what I did, and I've never looked back.

    --
    z e l d a b e e @ p a n i x . c o m http://NewsReader.Com/

  5. "Fred" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:<[email protected]>...
    > I have a Bianchi Veloce that has a saddle that is killing me. Nice bike otherwise. I'd like
    > something more comfortable in a saddle. Gel?, suspension? any recommendations? Thanks
    >
    > Fred
    If you really want comfort that will let you pedal for hundreds of miles pain free get a Brooks
    B-67. If you want to look cool get something else.

  6. Glenn Davies

    Glenn Davies Guest

    > If you really want comfort that will let you pedal for hundreds of miles pain free get a Brooks
    > B-67. If you want to look cool get something else.

    Like a Brooks Swift.

  7. Psycholist

    Psycholist Guest

    I've ridden Selle Italia Flite saddles for years. They're great.

    Got a new bike recently and decided to see what all the buzz was about with these new Koobi saddles.
    Got a Koobi PRS saddle. It's VERY comfy and still light for racing and climbing. I live in an area
    with very rough tar and gravel roads. The PRS has little suspension elastomers where the rails meet
    the bottom of the saddle shell. They do a tremendous job of absorbing vibration and shock.

    Check it out at Koobi.com.

    Bob C. "Fred" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]...
    > I have a Bianchi Veloce that has a saddle that is killing me. Nice bike otherwise. I'd like
    > something more comfortable in a saddle. Gel?, suspension? any recommendations? Thanks
    >
    > Fred

  8. Matt O'Toole

    Matt O'Toole Guest

    "psycholist" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:[email protected]...

    > I've ridden Selle Italia Flite saddles for years. They're great.

    I've always found Flites very comfortable, at least for road riding. For mountain biking the nose is
    a little hard. I also really like Turbomatics, any version. I've seen more of these two on pro bikes
    than anything (not that I look at pro bikes all that often), so the pros must be on to something.

    FWIW I ride a Vetta TT, which is very similar to a Flite. Not quite as good a road saddle, but a
    better MTB one. Compared to a Flite, the middle is a little too narrow, the back a little harder
    (but still fine), and the nose a little softer.

    Matt O.

  9. Fred

    Fred Guest

    > "psycholist" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:[email protected]...
    >
    > > I've ridden Selle Italia Flite saddles for years. They're great.
    >
    > I've always found Flites very comfortable, at least for road riding. For mountain biking the nose
    > is a little hard. I also really like
    Turbomatics, any
    > version. I've seen more of these two on pro bikes than anything (not that
    > look at pro bikes all that often), so the pros must be on to something.
    >
    > FWIW I ride a Vetta TT, which is very similar to a Flite. Not quite as
    good a
    > road saddle, but a better MTB one. Compared to a Flite, the middle is a
    little
    > too narrow, the back a little harder (but still fine), and the nose a
    little
    > softer.
    >
    > Matt O.

    I did buy a Selle Italia Max Flite Gel saddle and mounted it on the bike yesterday evening. I took
    it out for a quick 7 mile spin this morning and it felt a little better than the stock saddle that
    came with the bike but not much. It's still a pretty small saddle. I want to tilt it forward one
    more notch and make another run. I may have time this evening to try it again. If it doesn't fill
    the bill, I'll have an almost new, fairly high tech saddle for sale. Thanks for the ideas, folks,
    I'll get it nailed down.

    Fred

  10. Slider2699

    Slider2699 Guest

    "Fred" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:[email protected]...
    > I have a Bianchi Veloce that has a saddle that is killing me. Nice bike otherwise. I'd like
    > something more comfortable in a saddle. Gel?, suspension? any recommendations? Thanks
    >
    > Fred

    I ride a Specialized Body Geometry Pro Ti. It's a split design, but it has a nice leather saddle and
    firm padding. It's great, but opinions vary.

  11. wmtt140

    wmtt140 New Member

    Joined:
    May 9, 2003
    I also ride a Specialized Body Geometry but I have the sport model and the comp model. I find the comp is borderline for longer rides and the sport is by far the most comfortable saddle I've had. I've been through a lot of saddles and for me, I need a wider saddle that supports my sit bones.