comfortable saddle recommendation?

Status
Not open for further replies.
F

Fred

I have a Bianchi Veloce that has a saddle that is killing me. Nice bike otherwise. I'd like
something more comfortable in a saddle. Gel?, suspension? any recommendations? Thanks

Fred

"Fred" <[email protected]> wrote in news:[email protected]:

> I have a Bianchi Veloce that has a saddle that is killing me. Nice bike otherwise. I'd like
> something more comfortable in a saddle. Gel?, suspension? any recommendations?

Saddles are a very personal item. What works for me may be a torture device for you, depending on
your anatomy. With that being said, there are two saddles that I've tried and liked very much:

The WTB Speed V Comp is a good, inexpensive saddle. It's a bit on the heavy side but it does the job
just fine. It has a synthetic cover and a split-saddle design (I believe they call it a 'love
channel'). I rode one of these when I first got back on my bike after a 5 year layoff. Actually, I
first rode a horrible Schwinn Stingray retro-saddle that hurt me in ways that I never imagined I
could hurt, but that's another story for another time.

Now I ride a Koobi AU Enduro. They also use a split saddle but they call it Splitfit Technology
(isn't marketing fun?). It's a similar design to the WTB saddle but the split is more dramatic and
includes a fully split nose. It's also lighter, has a leather cover and is more comfortable than the
WTB. Koobi is an excellent company to deal with and they have a 30 day return policy so you can pick
up one of their saddles to try out if they interest you.

I suppose someday I'll try a Brooks saddle and become a convert so don't rule out one of those
either. Maybe I'll sell* these two saddles to finance some B-17 nirvana. Hope this helps.

--
Wayne Menzie

* inquiries welcome for either saddle

Wayne Menzie <[email protected]> wrote:

> I suppose someday I'll try a Brooks saddle and become a convert so don't rule out one of those
> either. Maybe I'll sell* these two saddles to finance some B-17 nirvana. Hope this helps.

That's what I did, and I've never looked back.

--
z e l d a b e e @ p a n i x . c o m http://NewsReader.Com/

"Fred" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:<[email protected]>...
> I have a Bianchi Veloce that has a saddle that is killing me. Nice bike otherwise. I'd like
> something more comfortable in a saddle. Gel?, suspension? any recommendations? Thanks
>
> Fred
If you really want comfort that will let you pedal for hundreds of miles pain free get a Brooks
B-67. If you want to look cool get something else.

> If you really want comfort that will let you pedal for hundreds of miles pain free get a Brooks
> B-67. If you want to look cool get something else.

Like a Brooks Swift.

I've ridden Selle Italia Flite saddles for years. They're great.

Got a new bike recently and decided to see what all the buzz was about with these new Koobi saddles.
Got a Koobi PRS saddle. It's VERY comfy and still light for racing and climbing. I live in an area
with very rough tar and gravel roads. The PRS has little suspension elastomers where the rails meet
the bottom of the saddle shell. They do a tremendous job of absorbing vibration and shock.

Check it out at Koobi.com.

Bob C. "Fred" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
> something more comfortable in a saddle. Gel?, suspension? any recommendations? Thanks
>
> Fred

"psycholist" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:[email protected]...

> I've ridden Selle Italia Flite saddles for years. They're great.

I've always found Flites very comfortable, at least for road riding. For mountain biking the nose is
a little hard. I also really like Turbomatics, any version. I've seen more of these two on pro bikes
than anything (not that I look at pro bikes all that often), so the pros must be on to something.

FWIW I ride a Vetta TT, which is very similar to a Flite. Not quite as good a road saddle, but a
better MTB one. Compared to a Flite, the middle is a little too narrow, the back a little harder
(but still fine), and the nose a little softer.

Matt O.

"Matt O'Toole" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
>
> "psycholist" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:[email protected]...
>
> > I've ridden Selle Italia Flite saddles for years. They're great.
>
> I've always found Flites very comfortable, at least for road riding. For mountain biking the nose
> is a little hard. I also really like
Turbomatics, any
> version. I've seen more of these two on pro bikes than anything (not that
I
> look at pro bikes all that often), so the pros must be on to something.
>
> FWIW I ride a Vetta TT, which is very similar to a Flite. Not quite as
good a
> road saddle, but a better MTB one. Compared to a Flite, the middle is a
little
> too narrow, the back a little harder (but still fine), and the nose a
little
> softer.
>
> Matt O.
>
>
I did buy a Selle Italia Max Flite Gel saddle and mounted it on the bike yesterday evening. I took
it out for a quick 7 mile spin this morning and it felt a little better than the stock saddle that
came with the bike but not much. It's still a pretty small saddle. I want to tilt it forward one
more notch and make another run. I may have time this evening to try it again. If it doesn't fill
the bill, I'll have an almost new, fairly high tech saddle for sale. Thanks for the ideas, folks,
I'll get it nailed down.

Fred

"Fred" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:[email protected]...
>
> Fred

I ride a Specialized Body Geometry Pro Ti. It's a split design, but it has a nice leather saddle and
firm padding. It's great, but opinions vary.

I also ride a Specialized Body Geometry but I have the sport model and the comp model. I find the comp is borderline for longer rides and the sport is by far the most comfortable saddle I've had. I've been through a lot of saddles and for me, I need a wider saddle that supports my sit bones.

Status
Not open for further replies.