Comforting an old friend

stevebaby said:
You're being dishonest because you know quite well that I'm right.
:D :D :D
Also known as: The Fundie-Con Ostrich Maneuver. :D They're taught this before they're 5 years old. Useful for when reality intrudes.

slovakguyalso pershing's invasion of mexico in pursuit of pancho villa. how can any foreigner not see us as a peaceful said:
Let's not forget that this was after Pancho Villa attacked Columbus, New Mexico.

davidmc said:
China is drilling for oil off of my coast as we speak :eek:
There is a huge difference between drilling offshore for oil and setting up a military base.As I recall,Kennedy was prepared to go to war with the Russians over their missile base in Cuba,but the US has done exactly the same thing around the world.
BTW,one of the bones of contention that Saddam Hussein had with Kuwait was their slant drilling into oil beneath Iraqi territory.If it was OK for the Kuwaitis to do it,why not China?

stevebaby said:
I did no such thing.What I have done is post a list of military events and contained in that list are the aggressive acts by the US. You're being dishonest because you know quite well that I'm right.
:D :D :D
You are getting old...so time for the slam dunk. I cut and pasted this from your link:

From 1776 to 2004, there have been hundreds of instances of the deployment of United States military forces abroad and domestically. The list through 1975 is based on United States Congress House Committee on International Relations. Dates show the years in which U.S. military units participated. The bolded items are the U.S. wars most often considered to be major conflicts by historians and the general public. Portions of this list are from the Congressional Research Service report RL30172.[1] Note that instances where the U.S. gave aid alone, with no military personnel involvement, are excluded.

You will note that it says the "bolded" items are are the US wars most often considered to be major conflicts....which to me translates to the rest of it being rubbish and noise used by dingleballs like you to throw stones at the US.

If we take into account the bolded items....your list of "aggressive military interventions in the last 100 years" changes to:

World War I Came to the aid of our "allies"
World War II Saved your dumb bacon from having to speak German
Korean War Enforced UN rulings and aid of our allies.
Vietnam War Defending our allies and escalated due to attacks on US
Persian Gulf I World participation..strong UN support
Persian Gulf II This one...is on us. We were feeling frisky I guess.

NONE of which we started....with the exception of Persian Gulf II.....which I completely agree...we started....right along with England.

So game....set....and MATCH....goes to me my drunken English friend.

:D

BillM said:
You are getting old...so time for the slam dunk. I cut and pasted this from your link:

From 1776 to 2004, there have been hundreds of instances of the deployment of United States military forces abroad and domestically. The list through 1975 is based on United States Congress House Committee on International Relations. Dates show the years in which U.S. military units participated. The bolded items are the U.S. wars most often considered to be major conflicts by historians and the general public. Portions of this list are from the Congressional Research Service report RL30172.[1] Note that instances where the U.S. gave aid alone, with no military personnel involvement, are excluded.

You will note that it says the "bolded" items are are the US wars most often considered to be major conflicts....which to me translates to the rest of it being rubbish and noise used by dingleballs like you to throw stones at the US.

If we take into account the bolded items....your list of "aggressive military interventions in the last 100 years" changes to:

World War I Came to the aid of our "allies"
World War II Saved your dumb bacon from having to speak German
Korean War Enforced UN rulings and aid of our allies.
Vietnam War Defending our allies and escalated due to attacks on US
Persian Gulf I World participation..strong UN support
Persian Gulf II This one...is on us. We were feeling frisky I guess.

NONE of which we started....with the exception of Persian Gulf II.....which I completely agree...we started....right along with England.

Looks like the end of that discussion :p

BillM said:

Foot fault actually...you put it in your mouth again.

BTW,I'm not English...and I'm not your friend. Can't you get anything
right?
OK...so I'm a drunk.Tomorrow I'll be sober and you'll still be a fool.
So...for the benefit of the slow learner who is holding the whole class back...I'll start back at the beginning with one of the three examples previously cited.
Despite Billy-bub's attempt to divert the issue from whether the US has committed acts of aggressive war to the size of the war...as if that made any difference...the fact is that the US attacked the Republic of the Philippines.

The Republic of the Philippines declared independence on the 12th of June,1898.
Us troops invaded the Philippines on the 14th of August,1898. In January 1899 the first Filipino President was declared and the Americans attacked a month later.
4,324 American soldiers were killed in the subsequent war.16,000 Filipino soldiers were killed and civilian deaths have been estimated to be from 250,000 to1,000,000. The population of the Philippines was estimated to be 7 million at the time of the American invasion.
So,more American troops were killed in the Philippine war than in the first and second Oil Wars and the War in Afghanistan combined.The Philippines could not possibly have been a threat to the security of the US. By any standard,that makes it an "aggressive war"...a war crime. It was not the only war crime...the war was notable for the killing of unarmed prisoners by US troops,the use of concentration camps and...the use of "water torture" by US troops. Sound familiar?

Getting back to whether the US government regards wars as "major" or not is beside the point.War is not defined by the number of casualties.War is defined by the act of aggression against another country.

The Philippines war was an act of aggression by the US against the Philippines Republic.
Many American officers and soldiers referred to it as "a ****er-killing business".

I suspect that SB has some inherent English genetics from past generations. He must drink to keep those genes recessive.
Irish genes on the other hand are highly resistant to alcohol

davidmc said:
Looks like the end of that discussion :p
Just the beginning,Dave.We have a lot of wars to work through.
Fortunately I will be able to sustain myself with the nutritious goodness of beer,while poor ol' babble-bob will be floundering by the wayside on his diet of Kool-Aid.
Beer always wins.

jhuskey said:
I suspect that SB has some inherent English genetics from past generations. He must drink to keep those genes recessive.
Irish genes on the other hand are highly resistant to alcohol
Scottish,English and Irish ancestors and they all probably had Viking,Celt,German and Pict ancestors in turn.
"Hybrid vigor" is the term I use.

stevebaby said:
Scottish,English and Irish ancestors and they all probably had Viking,Celt,German and Pict ancestors in turn.
"Hybrid vigor" is the term I use.

Same here except for native American Cherokee.

jhuskey said:
Same here except for native American Cherokee.
I suspected as much from your previous posts about the wars against Native Americans.
That's a subject I haven't touched on yet...but I will,I will.
I hope you aren't descended from the perfidious Campbells.They burned my ancestor's castle down in the 15th century...it hasn't been forgotten.I saw an old photograph of the family castle once.At first I thought Hey,the shortest castle in Britain.Closer inspection revealed it to be five rocks in a field.
"Castle" was perhaps a little grandiose.

stevebaby said:
I suspected as much from your previous posts about the wars against Native Americans.
That's a subject I haven't touched on yet...but I will,I will.
I hope you aren't descended from the perfidious Campbells.They burned my ancestor's castle down in the 15th century...it hasn't been forgotten.I saw an old photograph of the family castle once.At first I thought Hey,the shortest castle in Britain.Closer inspection revealed it to be five rocks in a field.
"Castle" was perhaps a little grandiose.

Don't forget that most of Europe had a hand in that genocide before the US existed. The US governmentjust finished the job.
I know some Campbells but am not related as I know. If like I can get an address for you if you want to decalre a blood fued.

jhuskey said:
Don't forget that most of Europe had a hand in that genocide before the US existed. The US governmentjust finished the job.
I know some Campbells but am not related as I know. If like I can get an address for you if you want to decalre a blood fued.
Quite so.Everone had it in for them,but I think the British and French come off much better than the Spaniards.That's not saying much though.

My dirk remains sharp and my nostrils flare at the scent of Campbell blood.These days however I have to content myself with turning their soup cans back to front in the supermarket.

stevebaby said:
My dirk remains sharp and my nostrils flare at the scent of Campbell blood.These days however I have to content myself with turning their soup cans back to front in the supermarket.
there is still a lot of resentment toward Campbells here in Scotland even today...no joke, especially if you happen to be related to Macdonald or ClanRanald.

...just out of curiousity...
am i safe cause i was "adopted" into the macgillivrays on the basis of a friendship... do i need to watch my back?