Coming back after a minor accident

Discussion in 'Road Cycling' started by Badger_South, Jul 9, 2004.

  1. Badger_South

    Badger_South Guest

    As some may know I had um, a little 'accident' on 6/16, typical noob
    mistake in braking wrong making a U-turn in the rain and misjudging my
    slowing / stopping distance. Got a nice dent in the old ribcage, and spent
    a week having trouble sleeping, getting in and out of bed and stuff, and
    ended up taking a week off after a 250 day streak. (bah!). (The ends of the
    ribs on the left side still have 'tender' areas, but I can mostly now take
    a really deep breath and not feel that muscle spasm thing but slightly)

    Got back on the bike on 6/21, but still couldn't really take a deep breath
    yet. Rode cautiously for a couple weeks, and had a bit of 'loss of nerve'.

    Happy to report that as of Tue (7/6), almost all effects are history, and
    the sense of control and resumption of training at speed (such that it is)
    have returned and I feel faster than ever.

    Had three gr-r-reat rides this week, and that's all it took. Even rode in
    the rain again last week, but for enjoyment, and not a typical 'training
    ride'.

    I think if I were younger, the recovery time would have been half that, b/c
    I've always been a bit of a crash and burn and get up and go kinda fitness
    guy in my 'ute'. But for the 'mature' (heh) riders in the ng, it's a data
    point.

    So if ya have a minor crash, expect some recovery time, but don't dispair,
    don't be afraid to take it easy, and if old-timers can get it back up and
    running and be trim plumb and level in under 3 weeks you can too.

    Actually I spent a week of the 'slow time' working on my form, and spinning
    a lot, and trying to 'relax' more, so it was really only a few days off -
    the rest of the time was for uh, psychological recovery. Believe me it had
    me a little worried, b/c when you lose the 'nerve', it can be daunting.

    -B
    The main thing is the bike was OK after a little truing of the front wheel.

    Tags:

  2. Tom Keats

    Tom Keats Guest

    In article <[email protected]>,
    Badger_South <[email protected]> writes:

    > As some may know I had um, a little 'accident' on 6/16, typical noob
    > mistake in braking wrong making a U-turn in the rain and misjudging my
    > slowing / stopping distance. Got a nice dent in the old ribcage, and spent
    > a week having trouble sleeping, getting in and out of bed and stuff, and
    > ended up taking a week off after a 250 day streak. (bah!). (The ends of the
    > ribs on the left side still have 'tender' areas, but I can mostly now take
    > a really deep breath and not feel that muscle spasm thing but slightly)
    >
    > Got back on the bike on 6/21, but still couldn't really take a deep breath
    > yet. Rode cautiously for a couple weeks, and had a bit of 'loss of nerve'.
    >
    > Happy to report that as of Tue (7/6), almost all effects are history, and
    > the sense of control and resumption of training at speed (such that it is)
    > have returned and I feel faster than ever.

    ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

    Taking a brief respite once in a while can do that.
    Improvements in condition seem, for some people at
    least (including myself), to come in plateaus rather
    than a y = mx+b straight line. Of course it's better
    if ya don't have to get wrecked, to be persuaded to
    lay off the bike for awhile :)

    I figure the worst thing about cracked ribs is there isn't
    much one can do about it -- just stuff to /not/ do. It's
    so maddeningly restricting. You must be feeling like you've
    been set free now.

    Anyhow, I'm glad you're off the disabled list and back
    on your wheels again.

    cheers,
    Tom