Coming back after a minor accident

Badger_South

Guest
As some may know I had um, a little 'accident' on 6/16, typical noob
mistake in braking wrong making a U-turn in the rain and misjudging my
slowing / stopping distance. Got a nice dent in the old ribcage, and spent
a week having trouble sleeping, getting in and out of bed and stuff, and
ended up taking a week off after a 250 day streak. (bah!). (The ends of the
ribs on the left side still have 'tender' areas, but I can mostly now take
a really deep breath and not feel that muscle spasm thing but slightly)

Got back on the bike on 6/21, but still couldn't really take a deep breath
yet. Rode cautiously for a couple weeks, and had a bit of 'loss of nerve'.

Happy to report that as of Tue (7/6), almost all effects are history, and
the sense of control and resumption of training at speed (such that it is)
have returned and I feel faster than ever.

Had three gr-r-reat rides this week, and that's all it took. Even rode in
the rain again last week, but for enjoyment, and not a typical 'training
ride'.

I think if I were younger, the recovery time would have been half that, b/c
I've always been a bit of a crash and burn and get up and go kinda fitness
guy in my 'ute'. But for the 'mature' (heh) riders in the ng, it's a data
point.

So if ya have a minor crash, expect some recovery time, but don't dispair,
don't be afraid to take it easy, and if old-timers can get it back up and
running and be trim plumb and level in under 3 weeks you can too.

Actually I spent a week of the 'slow time' working on my form, and spinning
a lot, and trying to 'relax' more, so it was really only a few days off -
the rest of the time was for uh, psychological recovery. Believe me it had
me a little worried, b/c when you lose the 'nerve', it can be daunting.

-B
The main thing is the bike was OK after a little truing of the front wheel.

In article <[email protected]>,
Badger_South <[email protected]> writes:

> As some may know I had um, a little 'accident' on 6/16, typical noob
> mistake in braking wrong making a U-turn in the rain and misjudging my
> slowing / stopping distance. Got a nice dent in the old ribcage, and spent
> a week having trouble sleeping, getting in and out of bed and stuff, and
> ended up taking a week off after a 250 day streak. (bah!). (The ends of the
> ribs on the left side still have 'tender' areas, but I can mostly now take
> a really deep breath and not feel that muscle spasm thing but slightly)
>
> Got back on the bike on 6/21, but still couldn't really take a deep breath
> yet. Rode cautiously for a couple weeks, and had a bit of 'loss of nerve'.
>
> Happy to report that as of Tue (7/6), almost all effects are history, and
> the sense of control and resumption of training at speed (such that it is)
> have returned and I feel faster than ever.

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

Taking a brief respite once in a while can do that.
Improvements in condition seem, for some people at
least (including myself), to come in plateaus rather
than a y = mx+b straight line. Of course it's better
if ya don't have to get wrecked, to be persuaded to
lay off the bike for awhile :)

I figure the worst thing about cracked ribs is there isn't
much one can do about it -- just stuff to /not/ do. It's
so maddeningly restricting. You must be feeling like you've
been set free now.

Anyhow, I'm glad you're off the disabled list and back
on your wheels again.

cheers,
Tom