Coming back after fever

SniperX

Jan 29, 2003
recently went down with high fever for 3 days and had the first ride after .... realised that I can average only 20kmh ? my legs were like really weak and my heart rate couldnt hit above 122bpm... this is really alarming... has the fever caused such a great loss of fitness in 3 days? :(

This is pretty normal after a fever and/or infection. You need to take it very easy for about double the amount of time that you were ill. keep it very gentle and or have time off -- don't push it - you can excaerbate the condition causing a rebound of the fever/infection. see http://www.cyclecoach.com/illness.htm

i had flu back in feb this year, and i found that about 3 or 4 days after the infection had gone i tried to go out and do a very gentle half hour (i was bored!) but i had to turn round after 1km cos i felt like death. over the next 10 days i just rode real easy for short periods, and then basically one day found myself back to where i'd previously been minus about 15 - 20%, which returned shortly thereafter.

take it easy and if in doubt, leave it out.
Ric

kind of worried that my fitness level will drop off too much... dont want to lose the effort =|

Patience is the important thing here. Take it easy and slowly, loosing a little bit of fitness is far more preferable than seriously hurting yourself,

"If there are signs or symptoms of systemic involvement (e.g. pyrexia, fatigue, muscle aches, swollen lymph glands, etc.) as in 'flu or symptoms of a 'chest' infection (hacking cough, 'dirty' phlegm, pyrexia, etc.) then 2 weeks post illness should be allowed before resuming intensive training to avoid relapse and / or potential life threatening complications such as cardiomyopathy or endocarditis
Remember that these common diseases (colds, 'flu, chest infections, etc.) are all potentially serious and life threatening. Don't ignore the symptoms. If in doubt, leave it out - don't train."

Ric

Its always better to lose two weeks training than lose two or three months!

took another 3 days off .. had another test ride again today and my legs are somehow just not the same .. just cant seem to pedal up the speed. ...=\

Originally posted by SniperX
took another 3 days off .. had another test ride again today and my legs are somehow just not the same .. just cant seem to pedal up the speed. ...=\

just keep it very easy (i.e., not getting up to speed), while your body recovers from the infection. keep it slow and easy, this isn't training but recovery.

Ric

hmm any example of how the recovery ride should be like in terms of speed.. duration.. etc ?