Coming from rowing

samspade73

May 25, 2011
A little surprised no one answered your question (although it might have been posted in the wrong place).

I checked out the link you provided and it doesn't mention the sugar content (always a good thing to check when looking at whey proteins, especially if they're flavored) nor fat. In my experience a lot of whey protein is low in fat but not all. You want the lean protein and amino acids without the sugar, especially since you already have more of a power build and it's probably not terrible hard for you to put on muscle. After shopping at places that rip you off like GNC and online vitamin vendors, the best deal I found both in product and price was at Target and another product at chain of grocery stores we have in the NW (Fred Myers). Just based on the labeling of the product you linked to, it screams "loaded with sugar and fat," and the number one purchaser is probably high school football players wanting to bulk up...but I could be wrong.

Supplementing with whey protein is a good way to rebuild your muscles, especially since if you start training specifically for cycling you'll be breaking them down different muscles groups and at greater intensity than with rowing. I'm sure your cardio is built up from rowing and it's not like you're starting out from scratch since you mentioned you cross trained but I've also transitioned into cycling from another sport: I've been a life long competitive distance runner with all my marathon times in the 2:40s and 2:50s and 10ks 35-37 mins (depending on course and weather). My frame well suited for longer races with more climbs at 5'10 152lb but I've found that it's going to take me a year to build up the pure power needed in my quads to generate the wattage to be competitive. You probably have a high percentage of fast twitch muscles and will likely develop into a power rider or sprinter or some combination of both. This is my first year racing and I'm improving, but can't hang with the leaders at this time (nor am I getting dropped consistently though). I'm having fun, learning and growing, which is the most important thing....

Good luck and happy riding....

Wait a minute.... when did waste milk solids attain magical properties? Whey is merely the cloudy solids left over after separation when processing raw milk into milk, butter, and cheese. Much of the [whey] waste material goes into pet and animal feeds [as it still has some usable protein levels].... and of course into "magical protein drink mixes".

Wouldn't it be healthier, cheaper, and easier, just to eat a cheese stick? I am just wondering.